Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Best war animals  (Read 9620 times)

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best war animals
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2013, 10:56:54 pm »

i wish i could breed my GCSs. i have three so far, all of them male for some reason.

failing that i made them trainable and biologically immortal.

you could probably make that work too. i mean, i've never tested it, but if you copy the female caste child stuff into the male caste, who knows what might happen?

Mura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2013, 11:14:15 pm »

It doesn't work, is what happens.  :-\
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Mentalpatient87

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2013, 06:54:41 am »

What about a whole bunch of venomous snakes?
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow dwarf is either a fool or a coward. Whoever can not take care of themself without that law is both. For a wounded dwarf shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2013, 07:24:43 am »

Helmet snakes, Giant Desert Scorpions or Giant Cave Spiders.

Throw a disarmed goblin with a helmet on down a pit full of those on a stockpile of your weapons. Your weapons will end up covered in their venoms.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2013, 07:37:14 am »

I prefer polar bears personally, but those are good too.

Yeah, but this being Dwarf Fortress, Toady should consider introducing Cave Bears (or, somebody should write an easy-to-insert mod, hint, hint).  Have you ever seen a comparison chart showing the sizes of various bears?  Cave bears make even polar bears and Kodiak bears look tiny!  To quote a paragraph from the Wiki article on cave bears:

“Between the years 1917-1923, the Drachenloch cave in Switzerland was excavated by Emil Bächler. The excavation uncovered more than 30,000 cave bear skeletons. It also uncovered a stone chest or cist consisting of a low wall built from limestone slabs near a cave wall with a number of bear skulls inside it. Also, a cave bear skull was found with a femur bone from another bear stuck inside it. Scholarship speculated that this was proof of prehistoric human religious rites involving the cave bear, or that the Drachenloch cave bear were hunted as part of a hunting ritual or that the skulls were kept as trophies.[33]”

So there you have it: Humongous bears, interaction with sapients prior to extinction, and totems!  War Cave Bear v. Jabberwock: place your bets …

Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Mentalpatient87

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2013, 07:48:13 am »

Throw a disarmed goblin with a helmet on down a pit full of those on a stockpile of your weapons. Your weapons will end up covered in their venoms.

Nice, I gotta remember that one.

Perhaps one could also send out a supplemental swarm of snakes along with whatever bears or dragons you choose. They'd be annoying, slow attackers, and poison a bunch. In theory anyway.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow dwarf is either a fool or a coward. Whoever can not take care of themself without that law is both. For a wounded dwarf shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2013, 08:20:53 am »

how does that work?  they inject upon biting.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2013, 09:05:25 am »

They are messy biters that get extract everywhere.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2013, 01:38:55 pm »

Yeah, but this being Dwarf Fortress, Toady should consider introducing Cave Bears (or, somebody should write an easy-to-insert mod, hint, hint).  Have you ever seen a comparison chart showing the sizes of various bears?  Cave bears make even polar bears and Kodiak bears look tiny! 

Short-faced bears are another option; they were about twice as heavy as Kodiak bears and around ten to twelve feet long.

Sir Crashalot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2013, 02:16:11 pm »

A legion of war trained killer Rabbits. :)

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2013, 03:02:53 pm »

They are messy biters that get extract everywhere.
Yes, but I believe the question is about how the venom soaked weapons apply the venom to their foes. I thought the syndrome only worked if they were injected from the animal. I thought goblins with open arteries could take baths in this stuff (Yes, I realize you can't have "pools" of contaminants, hypothetical scenario) without contracting the syndrome, because it had to be injected by a bite from the appropriate animal.

However, I would love to be wrong.
Also, if this works, about how long would the weapon remain laced with poison? Would it only be effective for a single slice? Several slices? Or, more or less, permanent.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2013, 04:03:25 pm »

However, I would love to be wrong.
Also, if this works, about how long would the weapon remain laced with poison? Would it only be effective for a single slice? Several slices? Or, more or less, permanent.
It works with darts covered in venom, plus someone did it with bolts and I've done it with axes. Something about how weapons do count as being an attack that breaks through tissue layers like a bite that makes it work, whereas sitting in a pool of venom with open wounds is not yet treated as actually entering the body. Effective for as long as the weapons keep their venom covering. So don't store them in the rain.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2013, 04:12:52 pm »

It works with darts covered in venom, plus someone did it with bolts and I've done it with axes. Something about how weapons do count as being an attack that breaks through tissue layers like a bite that makes it work, whereas sitting in a pool of venom with open wounds is not yet treated as actually entering the body. Effective for as long as the weapons keep their venom covering. So don't store them in the rain.
That's awesome. Assassin squads and paralyzing marksdwarves. I could get all of the fun of an army of GCS without harming my precious GCS!

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2013, 04:29:37 pm »

A legion of war trained killer Rabbits. :)

"Killer Rabbits" from someone named Sir Crashalot is too easily a Monty Python joke.
Good one, though.  :)
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2013, 06:48:16 pm »

what if dwarves
could train UNICORNS?
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4