Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 62

Author Topic: Competition- An evolutionary suggestion game  (Read 100747 times)

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
Competition- An evolutionary suggestion game
« on: May 04, 2013, 12:30:38 pm »

The world is recovering.
One million years ago, the greatest challenge that oxygen-breathing life ever faced had finally been conquered. The Gelidian era ('frozen') has finally ended. The glaciers, after 400 million years of grinding the newly-born continents into rubble and dirt, have joined with the sea, and their cargoes of minerals have arrived in the waters. Trillions of photosynthesizing cells are pumping billions of tons of breathable gas into the air and ocean. Oxygen and nutrients are available in vast quantities, and multicellular life has begun. Most are simple creatures, focusing only on taking what they need from the blue-green liquid soup that surrounds them. One of the most prolific of these is the seafloor blob, a tiny organism that feasts off of the organic matter in the ocean's waters. They cover the floors of the ocean. For now, life is good, but competition is starting. One of them is destined to become great, though. And its form of life will survive, no matter what.

This one reproduces, and then dies, like the many other blobs of the reef. But its descendants are evolving. How, though? Will it evolve muscle and dig, or feast on fellow members of its species? Will it let itself free from the ocean floor? If there are a million different choices it could take, which is the choice that it will follow in the end?

That choice is up to you.

Spoiler: Explaining the game (click to show/hide)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Competition- An evolutionary suggestion game
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 12:53:41 pm »

Increase thickness/height some.
Evolve the ability to move like some sea anemones do.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Dredonius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 12:54:43 pm »

Increase thickness/height some.
Evolve the ability to move like some sea anemones do.

+1

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 01:41:31 pm »

I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 01:46:10 pm »

Larvae should evolve the ability to move a little, like tiny jellyfishes. I'm pretty sure it's the case for some coral species.
PS: SWEEEEEEEET! Evolution on the move again in bay12!
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 01:47:10 pm »

PTW.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 02:06:48 pm »

Larvae should evolve the ability to move a little, like tiny jellyfishes. I'm pretty sure it's the case for some coral species.
A medusal stage sounds good.
We're going to make a civilization of cnidarians, aren't we?

PS: SWEEEEEEEET! Evolution on the move again in bay12!
+1
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 02:21:43 pm »

Maybe, maybe not. I'm rather for evolving further as an animal before aiming for sentience.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Full Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 02:22:51 pm »

Maybe, maybe not. I'm rather for evolving further as an animal before aiming for sentience.
Me, too, but...
Sig

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 02:24:56 pm »

Me, too, but...
I'd say it's a good idea, so how about we work on becoming a much more evolved cnidarian?

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013, 02:27:27 pm »

we already are!
Full Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 02:34:31 pm »

Sig

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2013, 03:14:17 pm »

Thanks for the approval, guys! Since no one seems to be arguing, I'll go with the current choice.

EVOLUTION ATTEMPTS: Movement-2, Mobile larval stage-5 Increase height-6
Evolutionary success- 5

The seafloor blob has evolved these past few million years. Many types of blob have appeared, but our species has become the tentablob. They have grown massive compared to the other blobs, at 30 centimetres tall, a rival to even the frondblobs (which are rapidly being outcompeted by the descendants of the seafloor blob). It has a basic muscular system, although the pinnacle of its movement abilities as an adult is to pull an edge out from underneath other blobs. The real reason for its success is its advanced tentacles. It gives it a larger surface area and reach than other blobs, too, but it also evolved a defined reproductive system. Male cells are attracted to the bases of the tentacles, which then develop into tiny tentaclets. These spread their yet-to-be-defined tentacles as a parachute, which they catch the currents with, and they drift far from the space next to their parents. This means that tentablobs spend less time competing with parents and more time beating up the competition.

The other blobs that changed, though, are causing problems. A blob with a more successful muscular system, the aciblob, is the most worrying. It has adapted to crawl over the surfaces of other blobs and digest their surfaces. Frondblobs have mostly receded into the depths of the reefs and become funguslike, although there is still a titan amongst the creatures of the ocean, a frond that grows up to 3 metres tall. Other fronds still exist, though.

GENERATION 2:
Tentablob
A dark brown blob of jelly that usually enjoys the best positions in the reef. Their long tentacles take food from the water. They grow up to 30 centimetres tall, and their offspring are called tentaclets.
REPRODUCTION: It lets out male cells in the current, and growths grow on the bases of the tentacles. These growths eventually become tentaclets, tiny parachute-like organisms that drift on the current to a better location.
MOVEMENT: They can move enough so they don't get buried.
EATING: It absorbs cells that are drifting on the current.
PREDATION: No meaningful prey. Aciblobs sometimes attack them, leaving gaping wounds.
COMPETITION: Tentablobs have little competition, even amongst themselves, due to their size and reproductive system.
ENVIRONMENT: A shallow sub-tropical sea. Layers upon layers of various types of blobs have built massive networks of reefs. Tentablobs grow above the rest, filtering food from the open water. Aciblobs, 3 or so centimetres wide, create open space for new blobs through their grazing of the small.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2013, 03:19:41 pm »

Let's evolve speed, sensory systems, and durability.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 62