Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 62

Author Topic: Competition- An evolutionary suggestion game  (Read 101774 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Competition- An evolutionary suggestion game
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2013, 03:28:29 pm »

Nah. I propose we equip our  tentacles with simple poison cells. Those Aciblobs are going to face an indigestion. Also allows us to catch fish and such, when those poof into existence.

Also, I propose we then use this same acid to partly dissolve minerals from the sea floor, and bring them to our tentacles. In higher up specimens, this might result in symbiosis with certain photosynthetic algae.

In those specimens that are left in the dark deeps, it might evolve in some kind of armour.

Note that this is not a genetic difference (yet), but just the same gene having different expressions depending on situation. Of course, a good amount of tentacles stays the same to prevent problems with reproduction.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2013, 03:31:25 pm »

Nah. I propose we equip our  tentacles with simple poison cells. Those Aciblobs are going to face an indigestion. Also allows us to catch fish and such, when those poof into existence.

Also, I propose we then use this same acid to partly dissolve minerals from the sea floor, and bring them to our tentacles. In higher up specimens, this might result in symbiosis with certain photosynthetic algae.

In those specimens that are left in the dark deeps, it might evolve in some kind of armour.

Note that this is not a genetic difference (yet), but just the same gene having different expressions depending on situation. Of course, a good amount of tentacles stays the same to prevent problems with reproduction.
Don't worry about reproduction, the base of the tentacles has nothing to do with food, it's just for mating.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2013, 03:58:08 pm »

We make coral reefs, yes? So this mean we can excrete mineral (probably calcium), hard substance. We should put some of this on the tip of our tentacle. Sharp. And possibly poisonous. In short, stings.

Let's evolve speed, sensory systems, and durability.
and +1 to this.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2013, 04:04:37 pm »

I like the idea of calcified stings on our tentacles. Speaking of tentacles, when did we get tentacles?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2013, 04:07:14 pm »

They're our reproductive system.

+1 to the stingers.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2013, 04:08:34 pm »

and feeding system as well. We catch things with it.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Full Sig

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2013, 04:20:58 pm »

Yup. Tentacles are really useful, so I decided a big blob would be more likely to grow tall with tentacles than as a big tall tower that brings up surface area problems.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2013, 04:37:15 pm »

PTW and +1 to the poisonous sting tentacles

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2013, 04:38:28 pm »

Yup. Tentacles are really useful, so I decided a big blob would be more likely to grow tall with tentacles than as a big tall tower that brings up surface area problems.
True. (I had imagined us as more disky than blobby to start, and was imagining turning us into tentacleless sea anemones. Tentacled sea anemones is fine, too, though.)

...Is there even such a thing as a land anemone?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2013, 04:45:46 pm »

True. (I had imagined us as more disky than blobby to start, and was imagining turning us into tentacleless sea anemones. Tentacled sea anemones is fine, too, though.)

Yeah, there are anemones on land. They're woodland flowers.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2013, 04:46:33 pm »

PTW and +1 to the poisonous sting tentacles
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2013, 04:48:32 pm »

Yeah, there are anemones on land. They're woodland flowers.
I'd guessed it would be something like that. There's lots of cnidarians named after flowers.
Sig

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2013, 05:08:43 pm »

EVOLUTION ATTEMPTS: Poison- 6+.5= (rounded down to) 6, Sting- 2+1.5=3, Armour- 3, Speed- 1, Senses- 3

(lol, seems that the dice gods mock your feeble attempts to become mobile)

The newest variety of the tentablob is the Devil's thornvine. They have developed enzymes and toxins on the ends of their tentacles, with a spine on the end, although said spine is fairly soft and (like a monitor lizard) only lets poison leak into the victim. Luckily, the aciblob's descendants are still relatively pierceable, so it gets the job done. The inner surfaces of the tentacles take in water, pass them through basic chemical detectors, absorb useful oxygen (nutrition is now done by the more toxic areas on the other side) and expel it again. This simple system lets the thornvine get a basic reading on the location of predators or prey, so it can have a certain direction to attack. Aciblobs are already learning to turn the other way when they get a whiff of the poisons. Other species, though, have begun to parasitise the other blobs. A tough outer skin helps fend them off (although it only works occasionally). Their climbing abilities are basically gone, as this new lifestyle means they can simply eat things that would otherwise overgrow them.

Parasiblobs are drifting on the currents. Aciblobs are developing better senses, and some of these more mobile aciblobs are reverting to a filter-feeding lifestyle. This time, though, they drift on the currents like jellyfish. Our reaction time is far too slow to catch them.

GENERATION 3:
Devil's thornvine
A deep purple cnidarian-like animal that is often found in depressions in the reef, due to their supplements of live meat. Their long tentacles take food from the water, for the most part. They grow up to 35 centimetres tall, and their offspring are called tentaclets.
REPRODUCTION: It lets out male cells in the current, and growths grow on the bases of the tentacles. These growths eventually become tentaclets, tiny parachute-like organisms that drift on the current to a better location.
MOVEMENT: Nope.
EATING: It absorbs cells that are drifting on the current, and any blobs that get close enough for a reasonable amount of time are impaled and digested.
PREDATION: The current apex predator. Ground-living blobs are what it eats.
COMPETITION: Thornvines still have little competition, even amongst themselves, due to their size and reproductive system.
ENVIRONMENT: A shallow sub-tropical sea. Layers upon layers of various types of blobs have built massive networks of reefs. Tentablobs grow above the rest, filtering food from the open water, while the thornvine dominates where it grows. Aciblobs, 3 or so centimetres wide, create open space and crevices through their tireless grazing.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2013, 05:13:46 pm »

What does the numbers mean exactly? Are they rolls?

Anyway, I say we continue in this particularly successful path and focus on better senses and sharper stings.
Full Sig

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2013, 05:17:39 pm »

I agree. We need to try as always to become mobile, though.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 62