Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 62

Author Topic: Competition- An evolutionary suggestion game  (Read 101805 times)

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
Re: Competition- An evolutionary suggestion game
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2013, 05:19:33 pm »

What does the numbers mean exactly? Are they rolls?

Anyway, I say we continue in this particularly successful path and focus on better senses and sharper stings.

The numbers are rolls. I add half an extra point to the chance of success with each vote more than 'lowest approved amount' it has, and then round it down. Thus, Poison had a roll of 6, I added 0.5 since it had 3 votes instead of 2, and rounded it back down to 6.

Duly noted, both of you, and it is down in the list of numbers.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2013, 05:28:41 pm »

I'd say work on the ability to drag ourselves with tentacles, specifically, in regards to mobility.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2013, 05:57:54 pm »

Mobility, better stings, senses.

And -1 to dragging, seeing as we're normally cemented to the sea floor. I suggest that we instead work on either moving like that sea anemone I linked to in the second post or maybe some squiddish movement.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2013, 05:59:37 pm »

What about controlled buoyancy? We could manipulate our elevation that way.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2013, 06:01:09 pm »

Again, not until we stop being primarily sessile animals.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2013, 07:10:04 pm »

Yeah, +mobility +sting +senses.

Also, in the long term, I want our species to be like the jellyfloats from the pikmin series (floating jellyfish). Do you like that idea? I always found them interesting.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2013, 07:11:26 pm »

I was thinking we could eventually make them into living underwater armorclads.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2013, 07:13:12 pm »

PTW
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2013, 08:50:36 pm »

+1 for Mobility!
I like Evolution games, nice to see one pop out; we have had a defecit.

Jembot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2013, 10:12:28 pm »

PTW and get mobile
You people are insane.
Hello there, we're Bay12! So pleased to meet you!

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2013, 02:24:00 am »

+1 to get mobile.  Try using our waste water expulsion system as propulsion.  Flatten out a few tentacles for rudders.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2013, 02:51:55 am »

EVOLUTION ATTEMPTS: Sting- 4, Speed- 3+1, Senses- 4

(still may take you a while to get moving properly, but it's a start, at least)

Thornvines have since evolved into crawlers. They are still a leviathan amongst the lesser blobs of the reef, and every mobile blob attempts to avoid it. It is yet to evolve eyes, but viral gene-swapping is in abundance right now, so you might get lucky and grow someone else's eyes. Because of its lack of vision and its towering body, it rarely gets to catch a moving blob, and usually just grazes. They move by slowly crawling along the seabed with their enlarged, fleshy bases. Apart from the movement, the stalk is atrophied, as a fusion of the base of the tentacles has become a new, far more complex body that can keep the body far more active than before. This isn't much in the adults, but the offspring (with their new senses and stings) are now active swimmers that can hunt and catch acijellies, stinging them to death with the tips of their tentacles. In the adults, the stings have sharpened and become far more mineralised, as they don't have to avoid sinking.

New species are appearing all the time. Frongi (frond-less fronds) make a network of roots under the reef, the varied descendants of the aciblob burrow and hunt and swim, and there's even completely new organisms appearing. From our perspective, it seems as though these far more complex organisms (with eyes, fins, brains) are appearing out of thin air. They're putting up good competition and fights, so we may want to get prepared.

GENERATION 4:
Devil's crawler
A deep blue cnidarian-like animal that is found all over the reef, due to their moving base. Their long tentacles impale their prey with the sharp, hard stings on the end. They grow up to 40 centimetres tall, and their offspring are called tentaclets.
SENSES: It has a sense of touch that lets it figure out if it's touching food, and a fair sense of smell/taste.
REPRODUCTION: It lets out male cells in the current, and growths grow on the area of the body derived from the bases of the tentacles. These growths eventually move into the inside of the body, where they develop into tentaclets and swim free one day. Tentaclets are active hunters of swimmers like acijellies.
MOVEMENT: They move by rippling their bases.
EATING: It impales nearby blobs and digests them by wrapping the end of the tentacles around it.
PREDATION: The current apex predator. Ground-living blobs are what it eats.
COMPETITION: Crawlers still have little competition, even amongst themselves, due to their size and reproductive system. Fast moving aciblobs, though, are sometimes stealing our kills.
ENVIRONMENT: A shallow sub-tropical sea. Layers upon layers of various types of blobs have built massive networks of reefs. Tentablobs grow above the rest, filtering food from the open water, while the crawler dominates where it grows. Aciblobs fill the majority of space for animal life, burrowing and swimming and crawling on the seafloor. Flapworms have migrated from the open ocean, and are efficient filter-feeders and danger-avoiders.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2013, 02:55:51 am »

-Attempt to evolve poison cells on all our tentacles. An unlucky touch should be enough to stun/kill
-Excrete small amounts of food as lure for animals/ base for symbiosis.
-Movement

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2013, 03:00:01 am »

I say we try to get a little more mobility not through moving like an anemone, but rather by burrowing. Also, I think we should develop a sort of "Tremor Sense". Basically, we can sense the movement of things through vibrations in the grounds. We can use this to burrow until we feel something, leap out, and eat it.

Also, EVO GAMES FTW!
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Jembot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2013, 03:02:51 am »

-Attempt to evolve poison cells on all our tentacles. An unlucky touch should be enough to stun/kill
-Excrete small amounts of food as lure for animals/ base for symbiosis.
-Movement
+1
You people are insane.
Hello there, we're Bay12! So pleased to meet you!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 62