Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 62

Author Topic: Competition- An evolutionary suggestion game  (Read 101841 times)

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Competition- An evolutionary suggestion game
« Reply #120 on: May 07, 2013, 12:58:01 pm »

I say we evolve greater swimming abilities, and spread into the river itself.
Shhhh. We are already in a good place, lets focus in improvig ourselves and being a more complex and advanced organism.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 07, 2013, 01:26:55 pm »

Shhhh. We are already in a good place, lets focus in improvig ourselves and being a more complex and advanced organism.
Also, switching from salt  to sweet water might have some complications.

And I'm not sure our nests can survive there. Would be problematic if they get swept away.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 07, 2013, 02:02:47 pm »

I say we evolve speed and intelligence, so we can be fast and advanced, and evolve the tolerance to live both in the saltier water here and in the fresher water of the river.

jaccarmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • jaccarmac.com
« Reply #123 on: May 07, 2013, 02:06:27 pm »

The other ideas seem kinda far out, so I'll +1 the one-end digestive system idea.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 07, 2013, 02:54:14 pm »

Me too. It'll force us to have efficient digestion, and no waste.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 07, 2013, 03:27:14 pm »

EVOLUTION ATTEMPTS: Advanced digestive system- 6
GM's choice- 4

(The dice gods favour your humbleness, but I thought I'd give you a little extra.)

The ungutted shoalcore is a shoalcore with simple guts. Sacs under each of its tentacles make it a far more efficient hunter, as it can digest a meal while still grabbing another. The radula has moved further towards the centre of the mouth, while the reproductive system has moved upwards and outside of the mouth, as it is now a hole just behind the top set of tentacles. As a side note, the radula and moved reproduction system have changed the creature's head, splitting the 6 non-radula tentacles into two halves on either side of the mouth. The solid material of the fangs have spread into a hard but flexible strip running down the outside of the tentacles and into the head, giving it a more powerful piercing bite.

The hivecase is the jawshell's descendant. It feeds near-exclusively on cattle guidelings.

The hive is the nestblob's descendant. It has three castes: the soldier, the guide and the cattle castes.

This estuarine habitat is completely devoid of competitors, because of the shoalcore's ability to sneak up on jawshells and other predators unnoticed. However, the newfound efficiency of this predator is causing food sources to drop.

GENERATION 9:
Ungutted shoalcore
A murky green-and-brown tentacled fish-like animal that hunts in the low visibility of the estuary. They swim with their powerful tails and use their fanged tentacles to attack and kill their prey. They grow up to 50 centimetres long, and their offspring are called tentaclets.
SENSES: It has a sense of touch that lets it figure out if it's touching food, and an extremely good sense of smell/taste. Symbiotic guidelings help it find live prey. A keen electrical sense lets it find creatures that are close to it, and it can feel vibrations in the water from moving creatures.
REPRODUCTION: It lets out male cells when they meet a mate they approve of, and growths grow on the area of the body derived from the bases of the tentacles. Younger animals are mostly male, and older animals are female, due to the pressures of swimming while pregnant. Tentaclets follow their mother until they can be dropped off at their hivecore. They eat mucus that the hive creates (although the nestblob sometimes takes either type of larva to supplement its diet) and, when they are large enough, find a suitable guideling to make a nest with. The children of the hivecore (which follow the mother and are looked after by the guidelings) are attracted to the hive-forming pheremones, and a suitable animal is chosen and burrowed into. They then leave to find a new area to live.
MOVEMENT: They move by swimming like a fish. Sacs of carbon dioxide keep them buoyant. They also have jets which also function as their gills, which they use to make fine movement.
EATING: It impales nearby blobs and digests them by drawing them into the tentacles. They are able to prey on fast swimmers, and they  use venom. They still have the rather inefficient absorbing-via-tentacle feeding method.
PREDATION: Some species of jawworm are able to feed on the tentaclets. Everything is dinner for an adult estuarine shoalcore.
COMPETITION: They have no competition.
ENVIRONMENT: A murky shallow estuary.  Various species of worms (collective small ancestors of aciblobs and crawlers) burrow in the muck or swim around to filter-feed or hunt. It is usually fresh-water, although tides can cause an influx of salt.

NEARBY ENVIRONMENTS: subtropical reef, wide murky river

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 07, 2013, 03:30:22 pm »

Communication. Let's evolve a way to speak with our symbiots and other members of our species.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 07, 2013, 03:42:37 pm »

Communication is good.  We don't need talk, simple bee-like signals will do for now.  I want to know what's further up the river, but don't want to commit to moving there in case the food thins out more the further upstream we go.  Communication would enable us to do some scouting.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 07, 2013, 04:23:26 pm »

Communication is good. Use sacks to create vibrations, perceived by our kind's acute senses.
I have a bit of trouble to figure out what we are right now. Can someone explain me?
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Full Sig

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 07, 2013, 04:26:01 pm »

Sort of like a cuttlefish, from what I hear.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 07, 2013, 04:37:33 pm »

And the different castes?
Full Sig

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 07, 2013, 04:39:06 pm »

Sort of like little tentacled minnows.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 07, 2013, 05:56:10 pm »

+1 to communication. When food finally thins out, move to the river.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 07, 2013, 07:39:18 pm »

+1 to Communication

+1 to "What the hack ARE we?!?"
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 08, 2013, 01:59:39 am »

TO MSPaint SCRIBBLING!!!

Also, another evolution or two to use might be nice.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 62