Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 62

Author Topic: Competition- An evolutionary suggestion game  (Read 102738 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Competition- An evolutionary suggestion game
« Reply #360 on: June 14, 2013, 02:15:52 pm »

Also have the hives give of signals of some kind--sub- or ultrasonic, pheromones, etc--which lets them be found more easily by the slicers.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 03:25:21 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: June 14, 2013, 02:22:47 pm »

I suggest that rather than put the hives in the trees, let's have floating aerial hives that will be less vulnerable to predators. That way, we never actually have to set foot on land.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: June 14, 2013, 02:24:25 pm »

Nah, too much energy consumption for something like that. But the hives DO need to be more mobile.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: June 14, 2013, 02:25:17 pm »

It wouldn't cost us any energy if we simply made the hives work similarly to those balloons.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: June 14, 2013, 02:29:06 pm »

Strengthen tentacle-limbs and modify spike tips into somewhat more hook-like claws.  If we can jump and climb effectively, we will have less trouble in tree cover or rain too dense to fly through, and can use the canopy as a defense (or possibly even ambush) against other aerial predators that are not similarly modified.

Hives need camouflage.

Hives need ability to detect and selectively emit scent.  Under normal circumstances they should emit some cover scent that makes them uninteresting to anything that would normally threaten them.  When we are nearby, they should detect us and emit a different scent that helps us to find them.

We need the ability to selectively emit scents, to inform our hive of our proximity.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: June 14, 2013, 02:37:58 pm »

I suggest that rather than put the hives in the trees, let's have floating aerial hives that will be less vulnerable to predators. That way, we never actually have to set foot on land.
This sounds cool, I'll grant you that.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: June 14, 2013, 03:24:37 pm »

Only problem is that with the slightest bit of wind, they float away. This is no problem for an floating plant, but could drive us out of our habitat.

Instead, I propose we put our hives in the trees. Instant camouflage, armour and sustenance.

Make hives parasital/symbiotic with certain trees.µ

((Oh, and please bold stuff. Makes it easier to find.))

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: June 14, 2013, 03:36:11 pm »

VOTES

Get hive out of water x2 Into trees x1 Using hydrogen floats x1
Hives need trackers x2 Sound x1 Pheromones x2
Better legs/claws x1
Camouflage hives x1
Hives detect our scent x1
Parasitise trees x1

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: June 14, 2013, 03:39:20 pm »

Only problem is that with the slightest bit of wind, they float away. This is no problem for an floating plant, but could drive us out of our habitat.

Instead, I propose we put our hives in the trees. Instant camouflage, armour and sustenance.

Make hives parasital/symbiotic with certain trees.µ

((Oh, and please bold stuff. Makes it easier to find.))
+1

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: June 14, 2013, 03:41:33 pm »

Oh and +1 to hive pheromones.

Another thing: How do the hives reproduce?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 03:43:53 pm by 10ebbor10 »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: June 14, 2013, 03:42:36 pm »

+1 symbiotic hives
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 14, 2013, 03:43:30 pm »

+1 to parasitism.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: June 14, 2013, 05:51:16 pm »

+1 to floating hives that attach to trees with spiked tentacles (to avoid floating away, and can parasite it), but can still move away if needed.

Scents in rainforest is a bad idea. Let's go with sound-based localisation. We have fine hearing, so we can detect sounds our predators cannot (hopefully). Both for the hive and the gliders. Hive "sing" to help us locate it, and conversely.

On that topic, we could midify our brain process to turn the rain from a jammer into a passive radar. If rain is regular enough, we can infer our surroundings from the sounds it makes. That would require a lot of brainpower, and indirectly makes us sort of smarter. Especially if we later redirect that brainpower to different tasks (because we moved to a less rainy area).

+1 to tree-climbing as well.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: June 14, 2013, 05:52:12 pm »

+1 to floating hives that attach to trees with spiked tentacles (to avoid floating away, and can parasite it), but can still move away if needed.

Scents in rainforest is a bad idea. Let's go with sound-based localisation. We have fine hearing, so we can detect sounds our predators cannot (hopefully). Both for the hive and the gliders. Hive "sing" to help us locate it, and conversely.

On that topic, we could midify our brain process to turn the rain from a jammer into a passive radar. If rain is regular enough, we can infer our surroundings from the sounds it makes. That would require a lot of brainpower, and indirectly makes us sort of smarter. Especially if we later redirect that brainpower to different tasks (because we moved to a less rainy area).

+1 to tree-climbing as well.
I approve of this.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: June 14, 2013, 06:14:19 pm »

Have the hives parasitise the already floating gasbags is an option.  Otherwise...

+1 symbiotic tree hives AND/OR floating hives (floating tree spikers are cool), sound-based hive localisation, definitely get the hives out of water either way.

Oh, and +1 to using the rain to supplement our radar.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 62