Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 27

Author Topic: The Islands of Misery: Another Turn  (Read 49648 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: The Islands of Misery: Unlucky Death
« Reply #315 on: June 20, 2013, 08:00:47 pm »

who are we waiting on?
I think just me to find enough free time to make a turn.

Could I get a trait that gave me a bonus to Lor on mechanical items but a negitive on ancient, magical items?

Call it Mechanics Eye: Mchn for short?

If yes add it too my character please
Hm...Well, maybe once a mechanical item comes into play. I've been meaning to make one of these items mechanical, but it's hard when so many of the abilities are so obviously magical.
And when I've forgotten.

I came up with three new trait ideas, if you're still looking:

-snip-
Vampire seems neat, though balance is an issue..
Guardian is a neat idea, but "protecting" is harder to define. Would it be killing someone who has tried to attack the guarded? The other issue is that I'd have to strike a careful balance between "Who would want to be some guy's bodyguard for that little?" and "Whoo! So much free loot and power!"
Soul-Linked sounds neat, but unless I can actually find two people interested in that and they spawn at the same time...

Another trait idea.

Collector - Bonus skill points are based solely on how much loot they have. The more loot they have in their possession the more skill points they have, but if they lose their loot, they lose their skill points too.
Meh.

Another one:

Make Rap, Not War: Killing people has no effect on you, but you are unaffected by losing a rap battle.
Interesting idea, but it needs tweaking to not be weak. Like, 3.5-Monk weak.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: June 20, 2013, 11:59:36 pm »

You've been playing with the wrong monks, 3.5 monk is not weak.

that power honestly seems overpowered to me. all you have to do is have two people take that trait then they rap battle each other every single turn. one of them will gain a stat point and a new item every single time, and the other one wont lose anything.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: June 21, 2013, 12:40:37 am »

that power honestly seems overpowered to me. all you have to do is have two people take that trait then they rap battle each other every single turn. one of them will gain a stat point and a new item every single time, and the other one wont lose anything.
That assumes that two people would actually work together in this. :P
Plus, it'd be pretty simple for GWG to just nip that in the bud before it becomes a problem.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: June 21, 2013, 06:30:35 am »

I'm not much good at optimization, but from what I hear the lack of synergy, poor combat abilities in general, and MAD make it pretty weak. Of course, it lacks spells, which makes it weak...but it's more so than most.

...Point. The trait would probably instead increase the reward.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: June 21, 2013, 07:49:21 am »

I thought rap battling only gave you an item if it was someone's nemesis you were fighting.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: June 21, 2013, 08:07:34 am »

I thought rap battling only gave you an item if it was someone's nemesis you were fighting.
It does. However, the victor also gets other things as well.
Sig

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: June 21, 2013, 04:45:10 pm »

I'm not much good at optimization, but from what I hear the lack of synergy, poor combat abilities in general, and MAD make it pretty weak. Of course, it lacks spells, which makes it weak...but it's more so than most.
they're trickier to use than the normal fighter classes, but they're by no means weak. their damage output is actually slightly above-average for a fighter-type because of their extra attacks, and although they have weaker defenses than the other fighters they also have significantly more mobility than any other class in the game. think of them as cavalry. you dont want to have them tied down in the front lines of battle, but they're great at flanking and going around the edges (or just saying to hell with it and going through the middle, there's a reason tumble is a class skill for monks.) of the fight to nail your opponent's casters and other squishy targets. rogues do similar work, but it takes them about twice as long to get into position, and their defenses are weaker.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: June 21, 2013, 10:06:11 pm »

They also have poorer weapon choices, almost no useful bonus feats, and one of their signature class features requires them to stand still. And the MAD...
Look, look here or here, or maybe see if you can find the thread on the subject I started.
Sig

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: June 21, 2013, 10:53:17 pm »

Cursed- Puts a symbol on the person with six small circles around the symbol in a circle. Each time the player kills another player, or caused a large amount of damage to a character that later dies (such as through bleeding out or being finished off by another person) they do not gain any points, however, one of the circles disappears. Loot works as normal. When a Cursed player finishes their last circle, they can choose to curse another player.

Mechanical- Given to robotic, cyborg, or otherwise mechanical characters. Their metal bodies can't be poisoned, and they cannot bleed out, however, they must be repaired by other players if damaged and those players must make a roll to do so (using some sort of Intelligence-like stat.) Mechanical characters cannot repair themselves, and can be rendered inoperable (such as being chopped in half- wounds such as that would kill them like any other player.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: June 22, 2013, 02:48:15 am »

They also have poorer weapon choices, almost no useful bonus feats, and one of their signature class features requires them to stand still. And the MAD...
Look, look here or here, or maybe see if you can find the thread on the subject I started.
oh, you're doing the whole "get the most out of the numbers" crap. I refuse to have that argument. DnD is for RP, not for calculator wars. play Neverwinter Nights or some other computer-based DnD if all you want is combat efficiency. Monk is perfectly viable if played well, the entire debate about max damage per round and suchlike is pointless. what matters is what roles you fill and how you operate in a team environment. the monk fills a role, and can carry its weight in a team. therefore, it's not a problem. done.

Lenglon is still waiting for the next turn

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: June 22, 2013, 01:30:31 pm »

Wasn't that the original point of the discussion?

I was comparing the proposed trait to the 3.5 monk because by the numbers, it was worse.

And the next turn is coming...sooner or later? Probably within a couple days...but I'm still working on summer plans for the remainder of the summer, so who knows?
Sig

dewboy

• Bay Watcher
  • I did it..... FOR !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: June 25, 2013, 10:49:19 am »

We sit as time flits past like a butterfly. Then the butterfly changes. It becomes a dark, shifting mass of a substance so dark, nothing enters it. This is a hole in our time. Where everything we COULD'VE done goes to die. Yet we stay, and we wait. What are we waiting for? Potato knows. Bringing things to the surface of our attention just to watch them fall back into the void.

This is a fancy bump

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: June 25, 2013, 10:49:45 am »

Alright, I'll see if I can update this...
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Islands of Misery: Another Turn
« Reply #328 on: June 26, 2013, 08:58:27 am »

Fezzy notices the waving corpse. 'What the.....? Hmm..... How would you like to be first out of this hellhole?'

Throw the headless corpse off the mountain.
Roll around a bit.
Despite what appears to be pathetic resistance on Nancy's part, Fezzy throws her off the mountain.
[7+1-1] She manages to avoid serious injury...well, serious compared to lacking a head, at least...and [MPR: 3] is partway down the mountain.

"Of all the useless..."
Try again
Hand Ahrian a cup of tea, bask in the goodness of tea.
Ahrian accepts the tea and puts it down. [2+1] She again fails to activate the socks, and sighs as she joins the small tea party.

Take the shirt, without wearing it. Await the Return of Lucky, and reward him with his loot when possible.
Examine sapphire power badge, and assign both points to lowest stat.

Well, take a point from a random stat. Loot Unlucky and put on his gold shirt. also wander around making vines again.
Well, take a point from a random stat. Loot Unlucky and put on his gold shirt. also wander around making vines again.
Threaten him over the shirt, but don't actually fight for it. Hand it over if it leads to a fight. (I don't care all that much about the shirt, so feel free to have it.)
Snow feels dull and takes Lucky's shirt. He feels stronger. Meanwhile, Ahrian makes some vague threats, which Snow ignores. Instead, Ahrian examines her badge. [2+2] It's got something to do with teleportation, you think.

"Well... I guess this isn't the worst bloodbath I've seen, and I didn't even inadvertently cause this one... Although this is not quite what I expected from a MYSTERIOUS TOME."
Calmly exit the building through the nearest door, and then try to figure out if my weapon has any special properties.
[4+3+1] It does! When one swings it, the weapon emits a beam of magical energy which causes the struck person to have a random kind of effect applied. Intriguing...

Jurgen the Manly Scholar spawns!
Jurgen is here. He's a bit off-balance from...everything...but he exists. He notices something odd: He seems to be wearing a scarf made of olivine. As you can imagine, it's not very flexible, although it is slightly more malleable than one would expect. He doesn't even notice his other treasure, or the blood all around the room.

'.,*'',.;`,',.`
'.`',.`'.`,.*',
";.`,'"`.;,`:'.
'.-o'.`,;`'.,`'
;'*@'`"@,;'`.',
%:@`*--@--'`;,.
@.'`,|+++|;'`.,
':`@,
",I++'*'.:
g''#@|+@+|@*";,
;.`;,--+--'.`,:
:,';;`"@.`':".`
'.-o",`@;`'.,`'
"`.,;",".,;``;,
;`*'.;,`";.`':,
"*;.,'*;,o.;;`"

-----

Statuses

-----

Spoiler: Map from last turn: (click to show/hide)

-----

Fun fact: The player and loot waiting lists are both down to one member!
Another fun fact: I just redid the weapons. They're more important for combat, numerically speaking.
And now we have another turn.
Sig

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
Re: The Islands of Misery: Another Turn
« Reply #329 on: June 26, 2013, 09:00:06 am »

WEAR AMULET. WILL SELF TO BOTTOM OF MOUNTAIN.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 27