Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can I add other mods?  (Read 2472 times)

Fantersam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can I add other mods?
« on: May 04, 2013, 02:04:41 pm »

I have no idea about DF-Modding but I'd like to ask if I can add simple mods like the Procedural plant generation mod or any mods which add items and or creatures? Maybe scripts too?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: Can I add other mods?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 04:49:59 pm »

It depends.  No mods are really guaranteed to be 100% compatible and obviously Masterwork is a big mod that changes a lot of things.  On the other hand it keeps a lot of vanilla DF is intact so it's surely at least "close to compatible" with a lot of vanilla mods.

If you created creatures or plants and tossed it in it would most likely be fine.  Unless, for example, it has the same name and duplicates something preexisting.

If you start doing reaction or entity modding then you should learn how Meph's standardized materials, & maybe changes to professions, work first, and be prepared to keep learning and debugging as you go along.  If you wanted to merge Masterwork with, say, Fallout:Equestria obviously you can't just paste them together, you would probably have a couple full weekends worth of work on your hands.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 04:52:01 pm by smakemupagus »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Can I add other mods?
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 10:50:13 pm »

Standardized materials, AFAIK, is as simple as replacing LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT with CREATURE_MAT:ANIMAL.

This won't work if you don't have Masterwork/Accelerated, of course, but still.