Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Bootstrap (beta)- Testers Needed! [Linux]  (Read 2093 times)

rmblr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress Bootstrap (beta)- Testers Needed! [Linux]
« on: May 05, 2013, 06:10:29 pm »

Dwarf Fortress Bootstrap (beta)
for Linux
Build your own Dwarf Fortress installation from source with no nonsense.
All the shit you need. It Just Works†

https://github.com/Ramblurr/df-bootstrap

† Probably won't just work yet, it's still in beta. I need your help.

Hey folks,

I got sick and tired of the PITA song and dance that must be done whenever you want to install Dwarf Fortress + friendly utilities on Linux, tired of chasing down missing libraries, updating symlinks, battling compile errors, copy/pasting commands from a forum thread that's years old. All that blows.

Dwarf Fortress has never fit well within the constraints of distro packages. The game is malleable. We love to edit our game assets. But running software outside the package model is a PITA. We continue to press on however. Us Linux-folk have looked on at our Windows and Mac brethren as they frolic about in if-not-gorgeous-then-functional UIs with bundled one-click installers.

I'm here today to take the first steps to deliver us from mockery.

df-bootstrap is a simple tool that installs DF and assorted tools. It aims to support multiple distros with zero fuss for the user.

It currently installs:
  • Dwarf Fortress
  • dfhack (form source)
  • splinterz's Dwarf Therapist fork (from source)
  • Soundsense

Supported Distros:
  • Fedora (my distro)
  • Ubuntu (untested)

It's not pretty yet. If you're completely allergic to the command line, well this isn't for you. I do have grand plans for a GUI launcher ala LNP and Dwarf Builder for Mac, but, well, the distro specific kinks need to be worked out first.

This first beta version is only available on github. You'll need git to checkout the sources and run the script. This is in order to elicit the help of technical users (and devs!) who can submit bugs and contribute fixes. Please use github's issue tracker and pull request.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 06:14:46 pm by rmblr »

sealclubber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Bootstrap (beta)- Testers Needed! [Linux]
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 07:40:48 pm »

I know you didn't write it, but the df_autoget script is way WAY too over-complicated for what it does.

Other than that I'd be glad to see df get ported to other distros.

rmblr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 02:37:40 am »

df_autoget is indeed quite complicated. I simplified it a bit by replacing some of the user-interaction with command line arguments. It works though, and I like the automatic version detection (even if df-bootstrap isn't using it yet).

Give df-bootstrap a spin! Tell me what works and what doesn't. For ubuntu/debian I'm still not sure exactly what packages need to be installed.

Hasse

• Bay Watcher
  • Mining Dwarf, always mines, nothing else!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 08:41:19 am »

You should upload it here instead
http://dffd.wimbli.com/index.php

Most people use the site for downloading mods n' shits

vikisonline

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 11:09:23 pm »

If you need any help with that project let me know. I need to figure out how to statically link dwarf therapist, then it could be distributed as a standalone program in a folder without it needing to be installed/compiled by people. It would be bigger but thats a good sacrifice to make.

I also use the ironhelm gpack since it seems to allow me to use truetype fonts in linux as well instead of the hard to read graphics fonts.