Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: A moment of silence...  (Read 11943 times)

sealclubber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A moment of silence...
« on: May 05, 2013, 09:53:29 pm »

Let me start by saying that I have a habit of keeping track of one single dorf in my military for my fortresses. He's usually the first one conscripted and stays that way forever. I was browsing his stuff today and i noticed something sad.

I saw this...

Yea ok cool... Then i saw this...

He doesn't have a spouse, a god, siblings.. anything

I am asking for a moment of silence for all those brave dwarves who defend your fortress while sacrificing everything they hold dear to them. We should be like them.

ChuckWeiss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A moment of silence...
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 11:02:08 pm »

A moment of silence!?! HE'S A SODLIER DAMMIT!!! The best damned soldier you got; he kills, and dies, and no one cares! Put every unmarried, brotherless, childless, lonely bastard you've got in a squad with him; you'll never have a tantrum spiral because of him.

When he dies for the Mountain, the Mountain will weep not tears but Blood for the Blood God!
When he dies for the Mountain, the Mountain will weep not tears, but Blood for the Blood God!

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 01:03:15 am »

What are you, a turtle tamer?  Friends and familiars are for wimps.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 01:05:27 am »

...what the hell is a Smithsmith? Did he have a fell mood and grab a Blacksmith?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 01:09:00 am »

...what the hell is a Smithsmith? Did he have a fell mood and grab a Blacksmith?

Nah, he's got all the whateversmith skills plus Legendary Teacher, and he's confused about how military training works.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 01:10:08 am »

But still, it sounds like you've got DorfCop on your hands. No moments of silence for him! Only KILLING and ENFORCING THE LAW.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 03:09:45 am »

That guy will eventually have an apprentice. Everything the apprentice will know will be from him.

But one day, your hero will have to betray your fort. For the greater good. His final mission. He'll have to act turncoat to the goblins in order to find out their plans and steal their pig tail socks; that is, until something goes horribly wrong. Plans change. Now your fort's branding him as an actual turncoat instead of simply a spy, and he must be eliminated.

And who will step up to that task? His apprentice, of course. Faced to choose between his mentor and his fortress, what will he do? How can he choose? Can he even kill the man who taught him the basics of CQC?

Your dwarf, that dwarf... he's a true patriot.

sealclubber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 01:55:46 pm »

I was drunk when I posted this.

Whoops.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 03:24:40 pm »

true dwarvish style ;)
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 03:27:17 pm »

What are you, a turtle tamer?  Friends and familiars are for wimps.

Turtles tamers are badass. As long as it's a gigantic tortoise.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 03:30:16 pm »

OP, this demands an answer.
This is a blank sig.

sealclubber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 03:55:05 pm »

OP, this demands an answer.

I tag the suffix 'smith' at the end of each of my professions due to an old habit that I simply got used to. Some examples include a Mason being a Stonesmith, a hammer being called a Justicesmith, etc etc. My metalsmiths have all metalworking labors enabled, so it would be tedious to name them all weaponsmith, armorsmith and so on. I figured that they are all smiths to being with, and they all... smith... so... smithsmith.

Yeah.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 05:36:27 pm »

I was drunk when I posted this.

Whoops.Yay!

Fixed.

His wife isn't one of those 'notable kills', is she? Or would she fall under 'other'?
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 05:37:12 pm »

he is the ideal soldier, one that will follow his orders to the end and carry out your will letter by letter, be it the slaughtering of entire families and children in a tantrumming fortress, or a suicide attack against HFS.

Do not feel sad for him, he does not need our pity. This is his destiny and he fulfilled his given role right up to the end, unconditionally and died for you smiling. Having no one by his side was to make sure he was not distracted from his given role, but he was happy.

sealclubber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 08:00:51 pm »

I should really drink and post more.
Pages: [1] 2 3