Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Breaking point: what would make Dwarf fortress utterly impossible to micromanage  (Read 11726 times)

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The second I saw DT mentioned I knew we'd have a little battle here :)

Personally I'm very much in a 'live and let live' on it (and similar programs).  I used DT (and it's spiritual predecessor dwarf manager) when I started, then at one point there was a question of who would update it (and nobody seeming to step up) after a major release and there was talk of it being abandoned.  I decided then that I'd just play and figure it out, I haven't gone back, not because I don't like DT but because it's easy enough to manage a fortress without it because (as mentioned) once you get enough dwarves usually it starts to just work itself out and I'm not terribly anal about my fortress (I'm ok with lots of statues of dwarves surrounded by cheese) as I'm mainly in it to survive wave after wave of enemy assault.

That said, I'm totally cool with people playing it for different reasons or with different tools, it's not my problem.

If somebody said "The game is unplayable without DT" I may beg to differ because, clearly, it is not.  However this thread is about what would make it unplayable "for you" in which case saying "The elimination of DT" is totally fair game.

For me.. Well eliminating the pause feature would certainly do it but that is awfully unlikely, I mean making you have to play in braille or having the game text be in a complex cipher would too but I don't see any of those happening.

For a realistic change, I would say a complete breakdown of the military system; I mean ok, I get that it's not ideal now and some people even consider it 'unusable' but (not to start a new kind of argument) I use it extensively and it works for me (and I typically use it as my only line of defense, no walls or traps against Fortress Defense and other monsters without danger rooms or other similar things).  But if it were to progress to a state where (to me) it became unusable it would kill the game because setting up challenges to try to overcome (which often involve combat) is the main reason I play.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 12:47:10 pm by Mickey Blue »

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile

adventure mode; You are now breathing manually, 'J' to inhale and Ctrl+Shift+v to exhale. Your right eye is blind because you have only been blinking the left one, the right eye uses different keys for blinking. You have three itches and need to take off you armor to scratch them, this repeats at least ten time daily.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile

adventure mode; You are now breathing manually, 'J' to inhale and Ctrl+Shift+v to exhale. Your right eye is blind because you have only been blinking the left one, the right eye uses different keys for blinking. You have three itches and need to take off you armor to scratch them, this repeats at least ten time daily.

That's why you have a squire.  ;)
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile

Adventure mode played in real-time.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile

This in real time and we have Multitask 3 the Game.

"FIGHT TERRIFYING FORCES OF DARKNESS! and try not to forget to breath"
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]