Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A perfect embark  (Read 1878 times)

100Rads

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
A perfect embark
« on: May 07, 2013, 01:46:34 pm »

Hello everyone!
I've been playing DF for 2 years, but I've always had problems with the embark. I have genned thousand of worlds and I could never find one with a 4x4 or a 5x5 embark that has:
-a river
-a volcano
-flux
-iron ore
I always get embarks with low amounts of tetrahedrite or low amounts of iron or useful metals, and if I get iron I never get flux.
I was wondering if someone could upload a world with an embark that has everything I listed above.
Thanks in advance!

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A perfect embark
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 02:24:19 pm »

Flux, flux, flux.
Flux, flux, flux.
Flux, flux, flux.

There's nothing you can do that can't be done.
Nothing you can dig that can't be dug.
Nothing you can say but you can learn how to play the game.
It's easy.

Nothing you can build that can't be built.
Nothing you can forge that can't be forged.
Nothing you can do but you can learn how to be you in time.
It's easy.

All you need is flux.
All you need is flux.
All you need is flux, flux.
Flux is all you need.

All you need is flux.
All you need is flux.
Flux is all you need.

Nothing you can know that isn't known.
Nothing you can grow that isn't grown.
Nothing you can kill that isn't what you're meant to kill.
It's easy.

All you need is flux.
All you need is flux.
Flux is all you need.

All you need is flux (and a volcano!)
All you need is flux. (we want no aquifers!)
Flux is all you need (flux is all you need).

And sand!
Oh yeah!
He'll crush you, yeah yeah yeah.
He'll crush you, yeah yeah yeah.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Sir Crashalot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 02:38:00 pm »

Hello everyone!
I've been playing DF for 2 years, but I've always had problems with the embark. I have genned thousand of worlds and I could never find one with a 4x4 or a 5x5 embark that has:
-a river
-a volcano
-flux
-iron ore
I always get embarks with low amounts of tetrahedrite or low amounts of iron or useful metals, and if I get iron I never get flux.
I was wondering if someone could upload a world with an embark that has everything I listed above.
Thanks in advance!

I come across these combos quite regularly, are you using advanced parameters etc?
Check the world gen cookbook as there are a few in there. One of the ones I posted is completely flat with surface magma, 17k Hematite and the tail end of a brook, I could find more easily but I usually search out flat embarks. You could just copy the world gen parameters if you don't like flat embarks as there are many other locations in those worlds with volcanos, rivers, iron and flux. The last two worlds I posted are heavy in good/evil and savage biomes if you like that.

Marble doesn't always show up as flux on the embark screen so just "prospect all" on the location before embarking and you can check for yourself.

Have a look through the last 10 pages or so of that thread to see what others have posted, don't bother going too far back as you will get older versions which wont generate as well.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=101280.570
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 02:42:34 pm by Sir Crashalot »

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 03:30:31 pm »

perfect embark needs some bituminous coal veins too

Bloodyharbinger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 03:35:23 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=125365.0
See my thread here. While I like the embark, I will admit it doesn't have everything. It does however meet your requirements.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 03:46:05 pm »

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 05:39:56 pm »

Nice Beatles reference slothen...
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 05:47:19 pm »

here ya go http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6966

Generated in 34.11

Diverse Metals? Check
Enough iron and flux to build a steel temple to armok? Check
(Or made out of lapis lazuli, apparently, for that matter. I'm not sure what's going on with that)
Wilderness, Haunted, and Joyous Wilds biomes? Check
Substantial candy cane to mine out? Check.
Three cavern layers with water in each one? Check.
All of this in a 3x3 area for those of us with FPS issues? Check.

I know what you're thinking.
"That's not so great. There's no sand or fire clay, or even coal."
How are you going to start war with the elves if you use coal instead of live trees as fuel? And if elves could figure out magma, they'd probably make glass and pottery. This embark isn't about wasting time with green glass windows. This embark is about forging your steel empire to defend yourself against infernal gloom zombies. That's right.

Non-contagious (I think, I didn't see any sort of vapor or dust covering) infernal gloom zombie clouds? Check plus.
Clown car? Check plus.
Volcano? Check plus.

If you're not dwarf enough to dig straight into the caverns, there's a brook to the northwest if you extend to 4x4 and forget about the wilderness biome. You'll still hit the clown car and the nice candy cane. The volcano is anything but flat, but there are some nice flat areas surrounding it for those above-ground fort types. You know who you are. The clouds shouldn't reach the flat, non-evil parts of the map (I think).

100Rads

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 08:13:27 am »

Thanks for the replies. Found a world with lots of flux and iron, a volcano and other important thingies.
The biggest problem I had was that a military with copper armor doesn't stand a chance against goblins with iron/bronze, and smelting goblinite is a pain in the ass.

Jaredus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 10:18:45 pm »

I find that a fairly easy way to handle goblinite is to make sure the orders are set to automatically forbid it, then make sure you set up a garbage dump next to your smelters, then go to your stocks menu, and dump everything that's forbidden. The you just have to unforbid the pile of stuff once it's dropped off.