Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Request for Stories and advice--vampires  (Read 1965 times)

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Request for Stories and advice--vampires
« on: May 08, 2013, 11:28:17 am »

Hello

I am looking for some stories or advice on vampires.  How to recognize them, patterns of behaviour, reaction of dwarves to vampires, the justice system, and their use/disposal.

Not just practical matters, like how to recognize a vampire, but what to do with them and their effect on forts.

Thanks.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Request for Stories and advice--vampires
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 12:27:20 pm »

Have all of your migrants be placed in one room.

Have a corridor leading to another room, both the corridor and that room out of sight from the migrants. Place a lever at the end of that out of sight room, order it to be pulled.

Along the corridor have reanimated corpses stand behind windows or fortifications.

Migrants will turn back from the corpses, vampires will not.

Vampire soldiers are one of the few ways of effectively dealing with necromancer sieges.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 01:11:29 pm »

I have not had a necromancer seige.  How would vampire soldiers help?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 01:14:11 pm »

I have not had a necromancer seige.  How would vampire soldiers help?
The corpse hallway test works because vampires are undead, the same as reanimated corpses. Reanimated corpses are opposed to all life - anything living, they will attack. Since vampires are not technically living, corpses will not attack them unless attacked first and vampires will not treat them as hostile.
During a necromancer siege this will allow them to stroll around fields of moving corpses that would tear apart a living Dwarf - and kill the source of it all, the necromancers.