Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Forcing four separate ingredients for Lavish meals?  (Read 5876 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Forcing four separate ingredients for Lavish meals?
« on: May 08, 2013, 12:57:30 pm »

I'd like to force my dwarves to use four separate ingredients for all lavish meals.  Specifically, I want them to use rock nut press cake, quarry leaves, and dwarven syrup for the first three, and then whatever misc. food items are available for the fourth.  I'm at work at the moment, so just brainstorming for now.  After reading a previous post regarding dwarven syrup and kitchen links, how about this set-up?

Massive stockpile that gives to the following four smaller ones:

4x4 stockpile for dwarven syrup only
1x1 stockpile for quarry leaves only
1x1 stockpile for rock nut press cake only
1x1 stockpile for all other food items

These smaller stockpiles all give to the same kitchen.  When a dwarf starts with a cooking order, I'm hoping that he'll grab 1 solid, then move on to the next solid, since the previous stockpile is now empty.  Once he fills the solids, the only stockpile left will be the dwarven syrup, thus forcing the use of the liquid ingredient.  As long as the solid stockpiles aren't refilled faster than he can get to the syrup, this should work, yeah?

« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 01:04:09 pm by VerdantSF »

Centigrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forcing four separate ingredients for Lavish meals?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 01:37:49 pm »

I'd like to force my dwarves to use four separate ingredients for all lavish meals.  Specifically, I want them to use rock nut press cake, quarry leaves, and dwarven syrup for the first three, and then whatever misc. food items are available for the fourth.  I'm at work at the moment, so just brainstorming for now.  After reading a previous post regarding dwarven syrup and kitchen links, how about this set-up?

Massive stockpile that gives to the following four smaller ones:

4x4 stockpile for dwarven syrup only
1x1 stockpile for quarry leaves only
1x1 stockpile for rock nut press cake only
1x1 stockpile for all other food items

These smaller stockpiles all give to the same kitchen.  When a dwarf starts with a cooking order, I'm hoping that he'll grab 1 solid, then move on to the next solid, since the previous stockpile is now empty.  Once he fills the solids, the only stockpile left will be the dwarven syrup, thus forcing the use of the liquid ingredient.  As long as the solid stockpiles aren't refilled faster than he can get to the syrup, this should work, yeah?

Dwarfs will prefer to take from the nearest stockpile. If the nearest stockpile is rock nut press cake, then he will grab four rock nut press cake.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 01:41:21 pm »

Dwarfs will prefer to take from the nearest stockpile. If the nearest stockpile is rock nut press cake, then he will grab four rock nut press cake.

That's why the stockpile for the ingredients are all only 1x1, except for the syrup.  Only 1 stack of materials (I use barrels for food) is on the 1x1 stockpiles, so once that item is removed, there's none of the same type left until the stockpile is refilled.  A cook can grab materials really fast if the stockpiles are close by.  I'm hoping that the ingredients are grabbed in rapid succession, and then the supplies are restocked as the meal is being cooked.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 01:43:37 pm by VerdantSF »

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 02:48:59 pm »

I can't see why that wouldn't work. You'll probably end up with a lot of job cancellations when your cook gets good enough to cook the meals faster than the ingredients get hauled. I guess what I would do is set up multiple kitchens this way so when one job is cancelled he moves to the next workshop.

You could burrow some haulers in with the cook and time it out so that the ingredients get replaced in time for the next meal but not before he's done grabbing ingredients.

Or you could burrow the cook in and have him do his own hauling. You'd need to either use the manager to issue the jobs or queue it up by hand every time the job gets cancelled.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 02:51:14 pm by Captain Ford »
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 02:50:53 pm »

I can't see why that wouldn't work. You'll probably end up with a lot of job cancellations when your cook gets good enough to cook the meals faster than the ingredients get hauled. I guess what I would do is set up multiple kitchens this way so when one job is cancelled he moves to the next workshop.

That or burrow the cook in and have him do his own hauling. You'd need to either use the manager to issue the jobs or queue it up by hand every time the job gets cancelled.
Or use the masterwork mod's job system to keep the job from being canceled.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 02:51:46 pm »

I didn't know Masterwork came with such a system. I'll need to look into that.
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 02:56:51 pm »

I didn't know Masterwork came with such a system. I'll need to look into that.
You can set upper or lower limits on various jobs/items and it will enable/disable the jobs and keep them from being removed.

travellersside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 03:24:38 pm »

It's a dfhack thing, not a Masterwork thing. More specifically, it's the Workflow Plugin. Quite handy.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 03:29:39 pm »

It's a dfhack thing, not a Masterwork thing. More specifically, it's the Workflow Plugin. Quite handy.
True. My first experience with it was with masterwork and I couldn't remember the name just now. Thanks. :)

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 07:28:12 pm »

From another thread:
Dwarves will prefer to cook with ingredients in barrels over ingredients not in barrels.  Among foods in barrels, syrup is near the bottom of the priority list.  However, syrup in a barrel is higher-priority than any food that isn't in a barrel.  To get your dwarves to cook with syrup, all you need to do is have plenty of solid ingredients that aren't in barrels.

I manage my cooking by having multiple food stockpiles, with different types of food stored in each.  Solid foods that I intend to cook, like meat and cheese and quarry bush leaves, is stored in stockpiles that have maximum barrels set to zero.  Liquid ingredients like syrup are stored in dedicated stockpiles with maximum barrels left at maximum.  When I tell the dwarves to cook a meal they reliably grab one solid ingredient then fill out the rest of the meal with syrup.  No forbidding of solids or other micromanagement is required.

Centigrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 07:30:46 pm »

From another thread:
Dwarves will prefer to cook with ingredients in barrels over ingredients not in barrels.  Among foods in barrels, syrup is near the bottom of the priority list.  However, syrup in a barrel is higher-priority than any food that isn't in a barrel.  To get your dwarves to cook with syrup, all you need to do is have plenty of solid ingredients that aren't in barrels.

I manage my cooking by having multiple food stockpiles, with different types of food stored in each.  Solid foods that I intend to cook, like meat and cheese and quarry bush leaves, is stored in stockpiles that have maximum barrels set to zero.  Liquid ingredients like syrup are stored in dedicated stockpiles with maximum barrels left at maximum.  When I tell the dwarves to cook a meal they reliably grab one solid ingredient then fill out the rest of the meal with syrup.  No forbidding of solids or other micromanagement is required.

This is a good post.

Urist da Vinci is a good poster.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 10:51:52 am »

It will semi-work, but still you won't be able to fully automate it. At least it's better than forbidding/unforbidding ingredients.

It'll work best if you order meals one by one, every time dwarves refill the stockpiles.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 10:56:00 am by Blue_Dwarf »
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 11:24:48 am »

I've used Sphalerite's method before, but I prefer to keep my food in barrels.  It keeps the stockpile tidier, especially after butchering a yak.  Also, I'm trying to go for a specific meal set-up with each of the ingredients listed, rather than one solid + 3 liquid.  Still, that was a great discovery!

It will semi-work, but still you won't be able to fully automate it. At least it's better than forbidding/unforbidding ingredients.

It'll work best if you order meals one by one, every time dwarves refill the stockpiles.

I wonder if Captain Ford's idea with multiple kitchens will work.  I would've tested that last night, but I tried out the Masterwork Mod for the first time and lost myself in the new crop system :).
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 11:32:00 am by VerdantSF »

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 02:54:40 pm »

I think it'll work automatically if you move the kitchen to be nice and far away from the give stockpiles, and take care to have plenty of idle haulers at all times...

yeah, it'll sacrifice efficiency, but it may be worth it just to automate. 
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 02:46:38 am »

The solid/liquid thing is a red herring. As I recall from my experiments, the preferences are:

• If a quarry bush leaf is available, take the nearest one.
  • Otherwise, if a solid ingredient is in a pot/barrel, take the nearest one.
  • Otherwise, take the nearest ingredient
with the modification that only solid ingredients are allowed for the first ingredients.

If quarry bush leaves were not on your list, you could make four 1x20 stockpiles next to your kitchen:
Code: [Select]
ZZZ====================
ZZZ====================
ZZZ====================
   ====================

with each of the stockpiles containing a different ingredient, and the ones with solid ingredients set to zero barrels. Then if you wait for the piles to fill then lavish meals on repeat, each meal will take exactly one ingredient from each row. (unless new ingredients are placed in the front pile to screw up the "nearest ingredient" calculation)

This will work even if you have rows for syrup and/or booze.
Pages: [1] 2