Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: RPG (Work in progress) (feedback and input)  (Read 542 times)

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
RPG (Work in progress) (feedback and input)
« on: May 09, 2013, 04:35:15 am »

The issue I have with most RPGs is the tendency of them to push you down a single route or become severely outclassed. So i was thinking about how to avoid it. This is what I have so far:

The game has 4 'elements':
earth - representing defence - the tank/guardian archtype
fire - representing offence
water - representing the thief archtype
air - representing the support archtype.

At character creation, a Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary element is chosen.
In skill checks for the primary they recieve 4d6
secondary, 3d6
and tertiary and other = 2d6

Each element has an assosciated skill tree, as does any combination of 2 elements
the core elements have 3 tiers to their skill trees.
the combination trees have only 2 tiers, but are more specific - (eg. earth + fire may give a 'berserker' like tree)
As a character gains levels, they gain points to put into any trees they gain access to. As they gain tiers, each of which would be a set number of levels probably, they gain access to new trees in the pattern below (P=primary etc..... 1 = tier 1 of tree.......):

P1
-----
P2, S1, PS1
-----
P3, S2, T1, PS2, PT1, ST1

first tier represents 'average human'
second tier 'hero'
and third tier 'legend'

Skills in the trees themselves would depend on how the game was realised:
i'm not sure whether there should be set skills, some assosciated with skill trees, some 'misc' and unassosciated, or whether they should be able to attempt anything and simply receive bonuses from the trees (in which case the trees would contain passive skills/stances which give extra bonuses at the trade off of penalties.)

equipment would grant bonuses dependent on situation, and may have an assosciated element for further bonuses - eg. a tower shield may have the 'earth' element and grant some form of bonus depending on earth ability.

But anyway, do you think this has potential, or should I just drop this now? Any feedback/ideas/abilities for the tree is welcome

« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 05:19:32 am by sjm9876 »
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
Re: RPG (Work in progress) (feedback and input)
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 05:18:38 am »

Well, decided to scratch that mostly. tiers still unlock in the same way, but effect have changed.
you now gain 1d6 in a stat for each tier in it. (everything now starts out at 2d6)
the combo trees have different effects, which double with each progressive tier:
Spoiler: combo effects (click to show/hide)

And yeah.....
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext