Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Skymachines - Scientific Succession Fort (Needs Players!)  (Read 2714 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Skymachines - Scientific Succession Fort (Needs Players!)
« on: May 09, 2013, 09:21:37 pm »

In the world of Elathu Alino, the dwarves are a relatively unknown race.  The land is dominated by the humans, the elves, and the goblins.  Of these races, the only ones that have had any form of contact with the dwarves are the goblins, whom one of the two dwarven civilizations, the Hall of Working, have engaged in two wars with.  The Hall of Working is a labor oriented, communist society.  Those who do not produce goods or do hard labor, primarily the scientists, are within the lowest class of the society.  However, within every society is a group that wants change.  In the Hall of Working, this group is the New Order.  The New Order is trying to radically shake the society, by putting the scientists in the top class, and the laborers and nobility below.   They cannot act within the ancient halls of the mountain homes, but, through careful manipulation, they have managed to gain the supplies to embark to their own fortress.  One that their ideals can be realized.  They call this place, Skymachines.

I am thinking of starting a new succession game.  Rather than my previous ones (first died due to inability on my part to upload the save, second appears to be dead from lack of interest [I did get the save up, though!]), I will not be using mods unless people want them.  I am thinking that the embark could be roughly half good-aligned ocean, and the land portion would be evil-aligned.  This would allow for some of the the fort to have guild of scientists attracted to the area because of the chance to study the phenomena of the region being an upper class, with the laborers representing a lower class, with the nobility, outside of the baron-duke line and the king/queen, becoming a middle class.  Sign-up if interested.

Turn List
1st - Zanzetkuken the Great
2nd - JoeClark77
3rd - Matskuman5

Dwarfing List

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 06:41:04 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, are you proposing some interesting challenge rules for the game?  Like, the morlocks must be physically locked away from the eloi and given inferior food, clothing, etc?  Would the middle class perhaps be the military class?  What about master artisans?  Would attaining "legendary" status move a laborer or artisan up to the upper class?

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think trying to find a half good half evil embark will give you a bit of trouble, and probably isn't necessary if you're more interested in exploring the social dynamics of having two classes.  I was considering a community fort like this two years ago, with a small number of nobility and prison guards, with the majority of the population doing manual labor.  I ended up spending like 10 in-game years building the prison fort, and ended up never actually implementing my plan.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

I think trying to find a half good half evil embark will give you a bit of trouble...

That would be true if I didn't already have one.  Granted, it is mirthful and haunted, but it still fits the parameters I wanted.   :D

Like, the morlocks must be physically locked away from the eloi and given inferior food, clothing, etc?

That is what is needed to be done.

Would the middle class perhaps be the military class?  What about master artisans?  Would attaining "legendary" status move a laborer or artisan up to the upper class?

Middle would be the military and nobility.  Master artisans/legendaries would be given the classification of scientist in order to allow them to experiment with new techniques for their trade.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

Here's an image of the embark that may be used if people sign up.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If it were me, I'd prefer savage biomes ("terrifying" and "joyous wilds" respectively) for the giant fauna and special plants (highwood, whip vines).  More scientific possibilities.  I'm kind of curious why the good ocean and evil land mass, instead of the other way around.  I imagine the morlocks living in a salty, damp dungeon under the floor of a terrifying ocean, while the scientists live in a gleaming alabaster tower amongst the highwood trees.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

If it were me, I'd prefer savage biomes ("terrifying" and "joyous wilds" respectively) for the giant fauna and special plants (highwood, whip vines).  More scientific possibilities.  I'm kind of curious why the good ocean and evil land mass, instead of the other way around.  I imagine the morlocks living in a salty, damp dungeon under the floor of a terrifying ocean, while the scientists live in a gleaming alabaster tower amongst the highwood trees.

I'm going to keep searching for savage good/evil biome pair, but this is what would be used if I can't find one.

With this setup, the lower class would be the land based defenders constantly beset by creatures, while the scientists live off shore in a small city that is safe from the death of the land.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have a pretty interesting map which is joyous wilds and terrifying, but no ocean.  Both biomes are savannah and they more or less represent the two sides of a central stream (although there is some evil land on the good side and vice versa).  No evil weather apparent.  I don't know if the evil biome is reanimating... I've been smart enough not to let my dwarfs die there.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

I have a pretty interesting map which is joyous wilds and terrifying, but no ocean.  Both biomes are savannah and they more or less represent the two sides of a central stream (although there is some evil land on the good side and vice versa).  No evil weather apparent.  I don't know if the evil biome is reanimating... I've been smart enough not to let my dwarfs die there.

That would be good, if I didn't just get this in worldgen:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Skymachines - Dwarven Scientific Revolution (Succession Fort)
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 10:30:11 pm »

Very nice, very nice.
Can I sign up for the first turn after you?  Dorf me as part of the noble/military class.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2013, 08:39:23 am »

Very nice, very nice.
Can I sign up for the first turn after you?  Dorf me as part of the noble/military class.

Added.  I take it you want your username as your dwarf name?

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2013, 05:47:25 pm »

Yeah, that'll do.

matskuman5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2013, 06:13:48 pm »

This is my first succesion fort, so I might be a total noob. Can I sign up?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 01:35:29 pm »

This is my first succesion fort, so I might be a total noob. Can I sign up?

You have been added.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 04:15:16 pm »

Okay, I have thought of a method to change the classes around to remove the nobility in its entirety.  This can be achieved by modifying the nobility positions to classifications of scientists and mathematicians.  (ie. Broker becomes Economist, Chief Medical Dwarf becomes Biologist  :P, etc.)  Though I do need some ideas for this.
Pages: [1] 2