Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Quick and dirty Caravan-only entrance  (Read 17056 times)

Geldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quick and dirty Caravan-only entrance
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 02:27:20 am »

I like this method, it's really clever! Thanks for sharing this idea with us, Plautus!

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2020, 08:20:08 am »

Does this method still work in current version?  I used to use it, but that was a year or more back.  Trying it now and seems to block wagons.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2020, 02:09:40 pm »

I can confirm that as of 47.04 on Nov 22, 2020, the design proposed in the original post allows wagon access to a depot.

As far as whether or not fliers and other wild/hostile/whatever mobs will path through it, that will require more testing.

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2020, 02:23:14 pm »

Bah, I am missing something... been too long since I last played.  :-[

Thanks for replying!

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2020, 02:43:51 pm »

Here's a save, so you can make adjustments if you wish and see it in action.
The save is on Limestone 1, the wagon/caravan arrives on Limestone 10, so it's a brief wait.
--
Update..

I've tested this in another save to be sure, and in this second test case, the wagons path in as normal, just as in the first save above.  All good there, no surprises.
However, I blocked the single-tile / walkable access to the fort underground, and the Caravan dwarves that lead single animals waited at the embark edge indefinitely, until that path was opened.
In fact, I waited until both wagons were at the Depot before opening the path, and then the animal-leaders pathed in and unloaded as normal.
Similarly, the migrants that arrived in Summer exhibited the same behavior;  they simply waited at the map edge while the ingress path was blocked.  They would not use this particular wagon path.

I still haven't seen any fliers or other wild animals use the path, yet.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 05:23:21 pm by vjek »

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2020, 07:10:08 pm »

That behavior is as I recall. 

Just can't see where my build isn't matching.  Annoying.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2020, 07:57:37 pm »

The OP seems to be from before climbing mechanics were added to the game.  I wonder how these new mechanics will effect this design...
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2020, 09:25:28 pm »

I have my secure defenses, gates and doors and traps, on the other side of the depot, between the fort and the depot proper, but have a huge number of wardogs and other animals penned at the wagon entrance to alert and attack. I pen migrant animals there until I can come up with more permanent arrangements for them as well. A random turkey killed a wereass recently, kicking it to death for the crime of trying to enter through the wagon entrance without an invitation.

YMMV, but if I make a corkscrew ramp down into the fort for the wagon, and put traps all along the inner corners of the corkscrew (still leaving room in the outer corners for the wagon to move and turn) then I find pedestrian invaders do get torn to shreds by the weapon traps before they get far, as they always try to use a close-to-the-walls path. That, and a wardog guarded entrance, has been enough for me so far.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!
Pages: 1 [2]