Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Df Like games  (Read 26048 times)

evanderep

• Bay Watcher
  • Barrel Problems
    • View Profile
Df Like games
« on: May 12, 2013, 08:40:38 am »

im looking for Df like games. any recommendations?    :D

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
Re: Df Like games
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 10:38:12 am »

Gnomoria and Game of a Dwarves or something like that. Both of them are lame-ass (see: casual gaming) bad copies of DF. I recommend Dwarf Fortress.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 10:49:58 am »

Apparently Dungeon Keeper 2 is a bit like DF.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 12:04:15 pm »

For other rogue-likes you can look here; http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

That's were I find most of my time-wasters. Most of them are free as well, so that's a bonus.
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Baccar Wozat

• Bay Watcher
  • [VAMPOW]
    • View Profile
    • My Fortresses
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 10:30:00 pm »

I've played Evil Genius, in which you have to micromanage a hidden underground lair similar to Blofeld's in You Only Live Twice.

Of course, it doesn't compare even slightly with DF, except it has 3D graphics and some nice touches.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 12:55:40 am »

Depends on how much like DF. None of the DF-likes actually designed to be like DF are really worth playing, although Stonehearth looks like it might change that - if it fulfills its design goals effectively and has reasonably fun gameplay it could end up with a versatile and vibrant adventure/modding community like the original Neverwinter Nights.

Things that are only kind of similar in that you build a base have already been mentioned - Dungeon Keeper is the king of that genre as far as I know, though it's getting dated. If you just like building things indirectly Majesty: A Fantasy Kingdom Sim was the first game to do a lot of that, although you just place buildings moreso than truly designing anything.

At any rate, the best game for being like DF is DF itself.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 07:12:20 am »

This is my own main problem with roguelikes lately - the Dwarf Fortress is just too good.
If every roguelike from now on ran on DF's "engine", I'd gladly play 'em.

I'm probably just too used to DF's interface and ASCII (YES, ASCII CAN DIFFER!).
Sad me.

evanderep

• Bay Watcher
  • Barrel Problems
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 01:14:36 pm »

i play unreal world now and i like it  :D

evanderep

• Bay Watcher
  • Barrel Problems
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 01:17:10 pm »

also, im interested in adventure mode like games too most of the ones you guys told me about are fortress mode like

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 02:37:57 pm »

Avernum.

It has caves and forgotten beasts.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 02:42:54 pm »

Nethack. even if you know the game well it can still fuck with you.

We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 05:58:02 pm »

also, im interested in adventure mode like games too most of the ones you guys told me about are fortress mode like
Try: Any generic RPG. Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall is one that often comes to mind for me as similar, at least in its world generation.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 11:52:55 pm by Cruxador »

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2013, 07:38:46 pm »

Depends on how much like DF. None of the DF-likes actually designed to be like DF are really worth playing, although Stonehearth looks like it might change that - if it fulfills its design goals effectively and has reasonably fun gameplay it could end up with a versatile and vibrant adventure/modding community like the original Neverwinter Nights.
It looks like DF but prettier, which I don't argue with. It's cool how you can see your stuff building and such, and it looks like building would be easier and a bigger part of the game.

The combat looks horribly though, and judging by the trailer I doubt you'll actually have to dig for different types of metal and make stuff for your guys like you do in DF. It looks more like how towns does it, were you just can make anyone a "Warrior", and they fight for you.

OP, you might consider backing this project if you have the patience and the money.

Also: not sure if these were mentioned, but if you're looking for a game like DF, but  easier to learn and play (judging by your grammar), you might want to consider my before mentioned Towns game. It's like DF for people who can't/don't have time to learn DF, aka lessors that will soon be under our rule. The game Gnomoria is also a similar concept to Towns; DF-like game-play, simpler everything, unfathomably less in-depth.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 07:41:04 pm by WaffleEggnog »
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

evanderep

• Bay Watcher
  • Barrel Problems
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 08:49:54 am »

It looks like DF but prettier, which I don't argue with. It's cool how you can see your stuff building and such, and it looks like building would be easier and a bigger part of the game.

The combat looks horribly though, and judging by the trailer I doubt you'll actually have to dig for different types of metal and make stuff for your guys like you do in DF. It looks more like how towns does it, were you just can make anyone a "Warrior", and they fight for you.

OP, you might consider backing this project if you have the patience and the money.

Also: not sure if these were mentioned, but if you're looking for a game like DF, but  easier to learn and play (judging by your grammar), you might want to consider my before mentioned Towns game. It's like DF for people who can't/don't have time to learn DF, aka lessors that will soon be under our rule. The game Gnomoria is also a similar concept to Towns; DF-like game-play, simpler everything, unfathomably less in-depth.

Sorry about my grammar, not everyone is english you know? but yeah you are wrong. im not looking for a easy game. i played dwarf fortress and know almost all of the important keys and stuff
but i just want some more of games like this. i dont care about easy. HARCORE FO LIVE

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 02:44:26 pm »

You could try miner wars if you're into hardcore.

It's like adventure mode in a 3d spaceship; everything will kill/cripple you. They'll tell you what to do, as you're supposed to be doing it. Listening to them will kill you.

Exploring is fun, but it too will kill you.

There is also mining, but 60% of the rocks will kill you.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!
Pages: [1] 2