Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Df Like games  (Read 26047 times)

Aerval

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Df Like games
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2013, 05:50:30 am »

goblincamp
unfortunatly development stopped, but it's open source and micro management is as bad/good/impressive as in df

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2013, 07:35:17 am »

He quit Goblin Camp? Aww I liked that one!
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

falconne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2013, 12:25:11 am »

If you're looking for survival roguelikes then Unreal World is a good one and you're already playing that. You should also try Project Zomboid and Cataclysm DDA.
Utility plugins for DFHack, for improving Dwarf Fortress' user interface.

Liberty

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2013, 09:41:10 am »

I believe Timber and Stone: http://www.timberandstonegame.com/ is an excellent DF-esq type of game in 3-D. Definitely a bit lighter but I believe the developer does plan on adding many features as time passes much like in DF.

Speaking of 3D it would amazing if DF were to eventually be ported over with something like Unity.

Urist Mcfortwrecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2013, 10:03:26 am »

if you like DF adventure but want more depth than "become vampire then kill stuff" wait for the next update, sounds like toady is going to have a MASSIVE overhaul to combat and the like in adventuer mode, as well as more depth to interactions between races, like occupattion and rebelion and the like, i think the next update is scheduled (hahaha schedules) for sometime this summer.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2013, 10:27:37 am »

Cultures, Alien nations and Wiggles are both kinda DFy.

You have families with kids that can learn new profesions in school (or learn them by practice in Cultures albeit slower).
It's pretty much a lightened DF.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2013, 03:39:26 pm »

also, im interested in adventure mode like games too most of the ones you guys told me about are fortress mode like
Try: Any generic RPG. Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall is one that often comes to mind for me as similar, at least in its world generation.

Daggerfall has only one random world generation seed, so I'm pretty sure you'll get the same world every time. It's just that, you know, it's the size of Italy, so of course you're probably not going to see all of it in your lifetime.

Extreme Boyheat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2013, 09:48:44 pm »

If you're into more building and production management type stuff I recommend Anno 1404.
You can pick it up pretty cheap off amazon/ebay. Alternatively buy it from the ubisoft store but then you'll have to use their "game launcher". D:

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2013, 08:55:25 am »

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned ADOM.

Really popular rogue-like from 1994, still releasing new versions.  Arguably a combination of the best features from the hacks and the bands.  Obvious predecessor to DF.  You can tell it influenced Daggerfall as well.

Much smaller world than DF but (compared to adventure mode) more skills, magic, a more interactive environment, and IMO more replayability because there are goals to reach and more ways to play the game.  Each class drastically changes your strategy and there are some interesting ones like "farmer."

EDIT: and I can confirm Daggerfall is the same world every time.  The dungeons are all randomly generated, but they're the same design (and even the same name) with every character you play.  The game world is actually closer to the size of Mississippi, still big, but it's pretty impossible to walk from one town to another without fast travel because of the limited view distance.  DaggerXL should change that, but for now, kind of have to use fast travel.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 09:01:32 am by Hamsmagoo »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2013, 03:14:24 pm »

DaggerXL is a sexy, sexy thing, btw.

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2013, 05:03:21 pm »

DaggerXL is a sexy, sexy thing, btw.
Yes.  So is the "Tamriel Rebuilt" project for Morrowind.  The Elder Scrolls games are surrounded by a really good community.

ShadowBroker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2013, 02:26:04 am »

now, bear with me, the Tropico series is very similar to DF for these reasons:
1.the people are stupid, and they will follow your orders when they damn well please
2.an easy way to keep the people happy is build a few bars.
3.meeting foreign/domestic demands is much like mandates, ranging from easy (i was already building a weapons industry anyway) to annoying (we want $10000 in cash/burn the foreigners/use only windmills for energy)
4. very high potential for cruelty. make your workers work for free, and have your army gun down the rebels, because win conditions are boring
also to note i can play many hours of either without knowing what happened with my time

Aside from that, being rational is not only optional, but is frowned upon.  We hate elves.  We kill for socks.  We sacrifice nobles.  We love kobolds.
Pages: 1 [2]