Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Dwarf fortress in Comparison to Other Games  (Read 22698 times)

Chimpanzee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf fortress in Comparison to Other Games
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2013, 12:32:07 pm »

Mainstream                                                                    DF
Go to attack the boss                                                       Get besieged by goblins, or randomly invaded by some mismatched-bodypart beast.
World is always the same, tiny in size                                World is randomly generated and size is chosen at the beginning of worldgen.
Same lore, over and over                                                  Different history, goblin kings, dwarf vs. elf wars, giant cheetah invasion, just to name a fraction of the possiblities.
Shot in the spine? -300 HP, as usual.                                Shot in the spine? Lose the ability to stand due to severed nerves!
Pop a flask, regain health.                                                Pop a flask, quench your thirst. Happy thought if there's booze inside and not water.
Your friend dies? So what.                                                Your friend dies? Throws a tantrum, risks insanity, very low chance for fell/macabre mood.
Have vendors available 100% of the time.                         Caravans of each friendly or elven trading civilization arrive yearly.
Most games have gold. Items have fixed prices.                 You barter your goods for the caravan's goods. You may offer as much as you want.
Farm a particular area for days long for the perfect gear.    Train a weaponsmith or armorsmith and have them forge ☼steel or adamantine gear☼ for your soldiers.
"I am a Legandary Weaver! Nobody handles cloth like me"
"Yeah, that's great. Hey, are you done? If so, we need to smelt this ten thousand large load of hematite. I'll see you next month."
"WHAT AN OUTRAGE! I AM A LIVING LEGEND! I SHOULD BE WEAVING"
"That's nice. Tell you what, pretend you are weaving metal out of this ore. Now get to work."

Scootagoose

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill them before I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2013, 03:04:20 pm »

Mainstream: Arrows bounce off you or stick to your skin like it's nothing.

DF: Arrows rain hell on you, puncture organs and rip armor.

Mainstream: If you get damaged, you just need to take potion/medkit.

DF: If you get damaged you will more then likely stay that way or end up in a hospital bed for months.

Mainstream: Fall damage will kill you right away or just lower your health.

DF: Fall damage will break bones and possibly cripple you for life.
Unf.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2013, 04:47:12 am »

Mainstream: "(1 hour in the game) Peasant: You ARE the (Insert chosen one here)?! Oh my god!!!!oneone11 I'M YOUR BIGGEST FAN!"

Roguelike: "(20 hours in the game) Peasant: I can parry your +Artifact Sword of Doom+ with my fork."

DF: "(2 weeks in the game) Peasant: (Talking to Urist McLegendary+99999) Stories from faraway land will not save us."

Art game: "Peas & Ants: I can parry your macaroni with my hyperdimensional trout."

she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

comham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2013, 05:23:07 am »

It's just plain unfair to compare other games to DF. Like comparing a toddler, quite confident at walking, to a far future 9 foot tall human-gazelle superathlete.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2013, 07:58:31 am »

I'm not sure what Art Games Objective has been playing, but I do want that hyperdimensional trout.  It probably would work well with the Fell Joke, or the Artifact quality Antacids I've been working on.

DireWolf64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2013, 06:05:42 pm »

Mainstream: A dragon is attacking that town over there,                             Dwarf Fortress: A dragon attacked...well, no more plants for you
quick go and help before some stupid villager                                             for the next fucking year (that is, if you survived)
will wander into the orange sprinkle from it's mouth!                                                                                                         
There's a fine balance of "child is suffering" and "child is dead".

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2013, 06:40:11 pm »

Is this going to be another condescending hipster thing that demonizes the nebulous strawman of "casual gamers"? Because I really don't want DF to be a condescending hipster thing.

Other games:
-born from a set development goal, encompasses that as best as circumstances and ability allow
-consists of that set scope, constrained by development time

Dwarf Fortress:
-Unlimited development time, including a life's work and eventually cryogenic brain technology
-Encompasses the entire universe, including itself, due to eventually infinite list of development goals.
-Will kill (if one already exists) and then become the Supreme Being.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 06:46:18 pm by HugoLuman »
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2013, 06:48:13 pm »

Is this going to be another condescending hipster thing that demonizes the nebulous strawman of "casual gamers"? Because I really don't want DF to be a condescending hipster thing.

Don't worry, you're all casual gamers compared to us 2D DF players.
[/sarcasm]
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2013, 12:17:24 am »

MAINSTREAM: You can't kill the King, the Necromancer or anyone else who's important because storyline.
DF/ROGUELIKE: Kill whoever the hell you wish. Just keep in mind you'll have a whole civ on your head. (until the next release anyway)

MAINSTREAM: Laggy and unbalanced multiplayer with normal gamemodes.
DF/ROGUELIKE: What's multiplayer? Oh, you mean the succession games?

MAINSTREAM: Attacking the dragon with a pick will get you killed.
DF/ROGUELIKE: Attacking the dragon with a pick will get the dragon killed, and infinite (not really) amounts of fame and loot.

MAINSTREAM: Hit in the head with [insert end-game armor here] on and at lv. 100? -1 health.
DF/ROGUELIKE: Hit in the head with [insert end-game armor here] on and with superhuman/legendary skills? At worst your head will fly off.

MAINSTREAM: You'll respawn when you die! Don't worry!
DF/ROGUELIKE: You'll have to make a new character when you die. You can loot your own corpse, though.

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2013, 01:48:39 am »

This thread, condescending? Hipster? Why would you think that?

DF/ROGUELIKE: "Storyline" made of random elements without any narrative structure
MAINSTREAM: Deep and engaging narrative with relatable characters

DF/ROGUELIKE: ASCII
MAINSTREAM: State of the art graphics

DF/ROGUELIKE: You die from things you didn't see coming and had no way of avoiding
MAINSTREAM: Balanced mechanics designed to always give the player a fair chance

DF/ROGUELIKE: When you die you have to restart from the beginning, there is no way to replay a particular segment of the game
MAINSTREAM: Save whenever you want; go back to your favorite parts of the game whenever you want

Disclaimer: I love DF. But it's all a matter of perspective.
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2013, 02:10:58 am »

Hey who is doing my job of being a negative little snot?

Though really thank you... I wanted to sort of do that but I was really too lazy.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2013, 10:40:00 am »

Mainstream: God creates Dwarves, god destroys Dwarves.
Dwarf Fortress: DF destroys God, DF creates Dwarves.
Dwarves: Party at all the wells.
Universal Studios: Sues.
Me: Claims fair use.

What were we talking about again?

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2013, 10:59:13 am »

Mainstream: Small premade package designed to be played a specific way. No guarantee of being easy to modify. Random content is usually limited, or just large chunks that can be assembled in a few different ways.

DF: Huge, complicated playset that takes instruction manuals, practice and assistance to use effectively. Making your own fun is a must, but damn is it cool when you finally figure it out.

Mainstream: To some extent, it is expected that the player wins at some point and there is a reward for doing so.

DF: "Winning" only means that you haven't failed yet. It's not Toady's fault that a giant killing machine made of bronze and hatred crushed your kobold adventurer's skull; the exact same thing would happen if bronze collosi and kobolds existed and met in real life.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2013, 11:12:25 am »

Hey, his skull isn't crushed yet...

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2013, 02:23:50 pm »

Linear games: A non-lucid dream in a box.
DF: The real world in a box.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9