Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Furries (2)  (Read 10271 times)

Tuck_Lion

• Bay Watcher
  • pass the lodestar
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Furries (2)
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2013, 08:46:34 pm »

So we have a topic that may or may not contain certain fields of discussion that got the last thread locked, a topic leader that has presented no topic except what not to talk about, and a crowd of people who's pretty apathetic about the whole ideology and who have fairly exhaustively discussed (in a very reasonable, personable manner!) every end of its spectrum.

I think we're done here.

Before you snipe me, I have read the thread. Both of them. I was wary of how it would end up and rather pleased with how it was discussed. Now we've run out of things to yak (pun!) about and you've turned rather frosty as of late.

Max- I want to give you a high five so much right now. You've made my evening.
Perhaps I need to

chill out

and cuddle a

polar bear
Bay12 pushed self into fruit math. Tuck Lion was just the mechanism for bay12's latent fruit-math fetish.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2013, 08:47:47 pm »

It's obvious what he means though. It's a bit hypocritical to say be creative to posters when you haven't been providing much beside the general topic. Some specific articles or something would be nice...

FAKEEDIT: Naxza has hit the nail on the head, in my opinion.

Tuck_Lion

• Bay Watcher
  • pass the lodestar
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2013, 08:51:52 pm »

Well if you're all just gonna start agreeing at me then fine

Discuss the implementation of furries in webcomics.

For example, Lackadaisy Cats is illustrated exclusively with anthropomorphic cats, but the writer says she is entirely independent of the furry subculture.

Gunnerkrigg Court has a character named Ysengrin who is a half-wolf half-treant sort of creature. Does he count as a furry?

An additional question: do any of you (furry or not) recommend any literature with such animal-people-type-characters?

Maybe we could just degenerate into more puns if we're that desperate.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 08:56:18 pm by Tuck_Lion »
Bay12 pushed self into fruit math. Tuck Lion was just the mechanism for bay12's latent fruit-math fetish.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2013, 08:57:53 pm »

So.... I want to bring up the issue of uncanny valley, with anthro characters in a human world setting.  Well, more specifically something that is going to come out soon, Equestria Girls, off-shoot of MLP.  I figure it relates cause anthro and you people ain't really derailing enough.

Synopsis: So yea, as I said, MLP: Equestria Girls, derived off-shoot of MLP: Friendship is Magic.  There is backlash from the Brony community over the whole thing.  Sure, it is change.  People are resistant to that.  But, I feel that the underlying cause of the backlash is not really the change.  I speculate that it is the new character designs having hit the uncanny valley between Ponies and Humans.

This is a side by side comparison of the .

This is the recently released MLP: Equestria Girls Trailer, showcasing the anthro characters alongside humans...

So tell me, how do ya'll feel about the new designs?  Does it hit the ravine known as uncanny valley in your eyes?

Spoiler: Personal Opinion (click to show/hide)

EDIT:
Well if you're all just gonna start agreeing at me then fine

Discuss the implementation of furries in webcomics.

For example, Lackadaisy Cats is illustrated exclusively with anthropomorphic cats, but the writer says she is entirely independent of the furry subculture.

Gunnerkrigg Court has a character named Ysengrin who is a half-wolf half-treant sort of creature. Does he count as a furry?
Thems just beastpeople in my eyes, nothing to write home about.  The art design for Lackadaisy Cats is pretty great, but the guy really only updates like 4 months out of a year.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 09:01:50 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2013, 08:58:50 pm »

See, now we have some actual things to talk about.

Probably the only webcomic I read that features anthropomorphic animals is Exterminatus Now, and that's more for the dark humor and Warhammer references than the animal people. Still, just about every animal species you can easily think of can be found in there.

As for literature...have you tried the Redwall series? It's a little in the gray area because while the animals act a lot like people, they're still mostly animals instead of being heavily anthropomorphized.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2013, 09:00:08 pm »

Huh, this happened again. Well, PT-

Oh god.

OH GOD.

OH GOD THOSE ARE HORRIBLE ANTHROMORPHIC HORSE DESIGNS OH GOD

Seriously. That's ... that's just not going to work.
Talkinga bout the 'ponies' thing.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Tuck_Lion

• Bay Watcher
  • pass the lodestar
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2013, 09:00:35 pm »

I believe the mane problem to be that the ponies were originally designed in a respectable "Chibi" style, and anthropomorphizing them added a lot of disgustingly erroneous qualities

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2013, 09:01:20 pm »

I believe the mane problem to be that the ponies were originally designed in a respectable "Chibi" style, and anthropomorphizing them added a lot of disgustingly erroneous qualities
The puns
Whhhyyyyy

But yeah, that.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2013, 09:03:57 pm »

Yea, that is rolling down into the valley, never to be seen again. I'm not hiking down there, fuck that shit.
Although it could be worse. If they had hooves instead of hands that would bring it into the nightmare fuel category. Long faces and not only would you be dead center in the middle of the uncanny valley, but there is a shovel in your hand. You know what to do.

EDIT: Also, can we get the feminist police in on this? If there is something wrong with that crappy girls brand of lego, this is just as bad.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2013, 09:10:44 pm »

"Prequel" is pretty entertaining and the protagonist is a khajiit. I suppose it makes ever-so-slightly more sense if you're a fan of TES games. Slow to update, though. Argonians are also featured.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Tuck_Lion

• Bay Watcher
  • pass the lodestar
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2013, 09:16:12 pm »

I think that the Final Fantasy games have had some interesting anthro designs. Specifically what comes to mind are the Vierra (kemonomimi all-female rabbits), Bangaa (anthro reptiles of some sort), and the Seeqs (warthog-type people); all of these examples are from FFXII.

moogle
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 09:19:18 pm by Tuck_Lion »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2013, 09:19:12 pm »

Yasumi Matsuno is a pretty cool guy. A lot more interested stuff than just angsty people + fur.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2013, 09:19:18 pm »

At least one of the Tactics games also had the Vierra, Bangaa, and Moogles. Also some weird vaguely elephant-looking things that I can't remember the name of.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2013, 09:22:21 pm »

So wait, we're not going to discuss anything besides stuff that has furries in it? I mean, the only redeemable factor of this thread I've seen is the discussion of fandoms on the internet. If you wanted to discuss stuff that happens to have furry characters in it, then why do it here?
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13