Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Naruto: Way of the Fortress [0.02A]  (Read 8299 times)

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
Naruto: Way of the Fortress [0.02A]
« on: May 14, 2013, 01:12:44 am »

Naruto: Way of the Fortress
Current Version: 0.02A, Believe it!

Should be self-explanatory based on the name, however I may need to reiterate, this is a mod that intends to incorporate various aspects from the anime, Naruto. To be a bit more specific, I intend on working with things debuted in the first season (Not Shippuden), however due to the mass of... things in Shippuden, I can't avoid all of it, and eventually I might implement a portion of it.

Note: This is an Alpha build, it's heavily lacking in features. Not a single Ninjutsu has been created, heavily lacking in equipment, etc... I'm releasing this now, however, so I can get feedback as to what should get worked on sooner rather than later.

Entity Summery:
Both civilization and adventurer mode have been enabled, however only civilization has been lightly tested.  Both should be playable, however no Ninjutsu have been implemented, so Adv. mode is pretty useless. Currently they copy directly from the Human RAWs, but defined in their own file.  This is so later I can create castes for certain ninja with different Ninjutsu (Ex: One specializes in focusing Chakra in lightning-release, while another one in Explosion-release). They're renamed, 'Ninja,' as well, because of confusion with humans and ninja.

Every ninja now spawns with their *basic* element; these are the 4 basic elements. You can see what element they specialize in by their description, if it starts with 'Looks,' it currently has a basic element; if it starts with 'Appears' it has specialized in a more specific release.

Weapons:
You'll have to excuse the lack of detail and weapons, this is the first release. >.>
Spoiler: Kunai (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Shuriken (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Senbon (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tanto (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Cleaver Sword (click to show/hide)

Clothing and Armor:
Again, please excuse the lack of numbers and detail. :c

Spoiler: Flak Jacket (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Full Body Suit (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Cloak (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Headband (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Straw Hat (click to show/hide)

Ninjutsu:
* These may or may not actually be working at the moment; however the AI does use them :D
Core Jutsu (All Ninja have these):
Spoiler: Body Replacement Jutsu (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Rope Escape Technique (click to show/hide)

Fire Release (Basic Element):
- None atm; Chakra is created though.

Wind Release (Basic Element):

Water Release (Basic Element):

Ground Release (Basic Element):

Plans:
Next update (0.03A) is going to, hopefully, be the big huge Chakra and Ninjutsu update! I have full intentions of getting a decent system of Ninjutsu up, rather than the, 'demo,' that's in the current version.  So, for now I'm going to start coming up with ideas for various releases, and they'll be listed here:

• Lightning: Water and Wind.  Ex: Chidori
  • Intensive Heat: Fire.  Will act as a merge of Lava/Scorching/Blaze, etc...
  • More to come

Also adding a few nice things to promote living in actual villages above ground. :P

Changelog:
Spoiler: You Know What It Is (click to show/hide)

Download

Please remember, the entire reason this was posted, is so I could get feedback as to what should be worked on when, and any new ideas.  I'd love feedback, thanks~! :D
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 06:18:40 pm by Toxicshadow »
'ere the Chias get hungry...

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
Re: Naruto: Way of the Fortress [0.01A]
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 01:13:10 am »

Reserved. Now I'm going to bed. :P

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 03:27:37 am »

Will it blend? We'll see!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 01:40:27 pm »

I can't wait to see how this will work in the next version of DF, especially where climbing (full-scale) trees and such are implemented (special Ninjutsu syndromes to allow for running up trees sans grappling hooks or ladders, but is not a flying ability); or abilities to emit harmless steam to reduce visibility (more useful for enemy units, rather than player units; add some challenge into Adventure Mode). I am also interested in how you'll toss in the Sharingan ability into the mix as well; and ninjutsu abilities based on castes.

I'm still rather new to Naruto (finally gained interest since the 2nd pass of Toonami), but I can see the potential in this, especially when the new features from the next DF version come in.

Have fun working on this.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 03:11:30 pm by Itnetlolor »

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 03:02:35 pm »

Neat.

Well, for the purposes of expanding the creature cataloge, one could go hole-hog with the Tailed Beasts and make them semi/megabeasts occordingly. They don't even need fancy reactions, (or, at least, most of them) considering that they tend to be big animalistic forces of nature.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 05:54:18 pm »

I can't wait to see how this will work in the next version of DF, especially where climbing (full-scale) trees and such are implemented (special Ninjutsu syndromes to allow for running up trees sans grappling hooks or ladders, but is not a flying ability); or abilities to emit harmless steam to reduce visibility (more useful for enemy units, rather than player units; add some challenge into Adventure Mode). I am also interested in how you'll toss in the Sharingan ability into the mix as well; and ninjutsu abilities based on castes.

I'm still rather new to Naruto (finally gained interest since the 2nd pass of Toonami), but I can see the potential in this, especially when the new features from the next DF version come in.

Have fun working on this.
Oh yeah, Im very excited for the next release of DF, combat is going to be amazing. As for Naruto and the series, Im sortof neutral. I havent watched it in like 3 years, so Im a bit behind xD But I remember bits of it. I'll need to watch some to get atleast through the first series >u<

Will it blend? We'll see!
Gah, chakra smoke, don't breath this!

Neat.

Well, for the purposes of expanding the creature cataloge, one could go hole-hog with the Tailed Beasts and make them semi/megabeasts occordingly. They don't even need fancy reactions, (or, at least, most of them) considering that they tend to be big animalistic forces of nature.
Yeah, I aim to look more heavily into this either the next release or the one after. Speaking of releases, I think for the next one I want to aim for more general content (Maybe some special buildings, more equips, ninjutsu, that sort of thing) and then for the next one I would like to focus on 'flavor.' I like immersive-items, rather than just military forts. Also, at some point I want to look into manipulating the language system to give more ninja-esque named expeditions.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 06:50:00 pm »

Hehe.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 07:12:37 pm »

you best shot at ninjutsu would be to enumerate dozens of castes as part of the same species and give them access to various interactions.  This is how the new pony mod is implementing all kinds of cutie marks within the same species, unfortunately the more variables you put in, the total number of castes explodes combinatorially. It would be pretty simple though to make 5 different shinobi castes for chakra nature affiliation, 2 genders, for a total of 10 castes.  But even then all fire ninja would have the same abilities, all water would... etc.  Naruto is based on different characters having different abilities, so you'll kind of have to accept that everyone in your fortress will be background ninjas.  But you have more room to add more variety if you want.  Of course, you still have to design interactions that make sense, and like yourself, I have no idea if you can get dwarves to actually use interactions in dwarf mode.  Also, good luck getting throwing knives to work.

Also, this seems like it would work for adventure mode, since you literally go around fighting bandits and taking bounty contracts.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 09:30:36 pm »

you best shot at ninjutsu would be to enumerate dozens of castes as part of the same species and give them access to various interactions.
I planned on it o:

This is how the new pony mod is implementing all kinds of cutie marks within the same species, unfortunately the more variables you put in, the total number of castes explodes combinatorially.
Try color modifiers and the physical attribute tags. Also, for the variable things, I could just scrap together a script in like Python to generate every possibility.

It would be pretty simple though to make 5 different shinobi castes for chakra nature affiliation, 2 genders, for a total of 10 castes.  But even then all fire ninja would have the same abilities, all water would... etc.  Naruto is based on different characters having different abilities, so you'll kind of have to accept that everyone in your fortress will be background ninjas.  But you have more room to add more variety if you want.
Yeah, I plan on doing this. If you look here, you can get Jutsu organized by their nature. Not sure if I put the note in the post somewhere, or left it in one of the raws, but I made note of this. I had already planned on creating castes of each nature. Now, I might go with Hugo_the_Dwarf's idea in Regen for learning spells, except use it for various Martial Art-Jutsu or something of the sort. If you haven't seen Regen, first step out of a cave :) and, pretty much it uses really long (3 years total?) interractions to control how much a creature has 'learned' in the spell. I might apply something similar.

Of course, you still have to design interactions that make sense, and like yourself, I have no idea if you can get dwarves to actually use interactions in dwarf mode.  Also, good luck getting throwing knives to work.
Throwing knives do work, you make your weapon, give it both melee and ranged skill tokens, create the same thing but as ammo with ammo tokens. I do this with Kunai, Shuriken and Senbon, the 'launching' weapon is succeeded by a (t) while the ammo is succeeded by an (a).

Also, this seems like it would work for adventure mode, since you literally go around fighting bandits and taking bounty contracts.
Yeah, I haven't tested an actual adv. mode game, just the OTA and a very quick fortress. However, in theory it should work fine.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 09:44:05 pm »

I have a (quite literally) hackish way of implementing bloodline jutsu in my head, hehe.

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 09:52:03 pm »

I have a (quite literally) hackish way of implementing bloodline jutsu in my head, hehe.
Use that one family name DF Hack script to create a 'clan' system; every clan has a certain chakra-nature, kind of system? o:

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 11:18:36 pm »

Quite exactly, hehe.

Not just chakra nature, but things like Sharingan and such. syndromeTrigger (in next version of DFHack) will allow so much shit you don't even know.

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 01:10:02 am »

Quite exactly, hehe.

Not just chakra nature, but things like Sharingan and such. syndromeTrigger (in next version of DFHack) will allow so much shit you don't even know.
Yeah, Idunno. I *might* go DF Hack with this, not sure. I don't really want to force DF Hack upon a potential player, but at the same time DF Hack is really nice...

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 02:40:37 am »

You don't "force it". Those who for whatever reason don't want better interface, bug fixes etc can play without it and just have your mod without additional features.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 06:45:00 am »

Yep, and DFhack runs itself automatically if you run DF too, so it's seamless.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.
Pages: [1] 2