Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tileset: Apple II based  (Read 3146 times)

Plautus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Tileset: Apple II based
« on: May 14, 2013, 10:38:40 am »

Seeing some of the old character sets in the tileset repository made me yearn for my misspent youth, so I put together a tileset based on the character ROM for the Apple II series, using Rebecca Bettencourt's excellent Apple II fonts for reference, particularly the top table in that link.  The remaining characters are my own work, with 3 tweaks based on comparison with her Sabine characters.  She is OK with this.

Here is the 7x8 normal version and the 7x16 "80 column" version in .png,

and links to the 40 and 80 column versions in .bmp format.

I'm also including a few sample images, of the 40 column version, from the May 12, 2013 save of the Murdermachines community game on DFFD:

In addition to scratching that nostalgic itch, I'm pleased at how much signal/pixel there is in this tileset, and how legible it is even when it's very small.  If you were planning your own new tiny tileset, you could certainly do worse than starting from the Apple II character table.

Edit: fixed the borked "big.PNG" link
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 12:09:21 pm by Plautus »

Baccar Wozat

• Bay Watcher
  • [VAMPOW]
    • View Profile
    • My Fortresses
Re: Tileset: Apple II based
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 12:12:11 am »

What, no mousetext? :D

Seriously, though, it looks great so far. As long as you don't enable the Flash command...

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
Re: Tileset: Apple II based
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 02:13:43 pm »

I'm giving this a bump for the Murdermachines use.
[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!