Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Island in the sea of time mod. how to make?  (Read 1633 times)

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Island in the sea of time mod. how to make?
« on: May 15, 2013, 12:14:39 am »

I would like to make a mod based off the Nantucket trilogy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nantucket_series .

Its about the island of Nantucket and a coast guard training ship, the Eagle, are sent form 1999 back to the bronze age in 3000 b.c.

what mods would I look at for examples of bronze and stone age tech as well as 16 to early 19 hundred tech?

also caste, culter, language, religion, etc.

how would I create:

1. Pre-Indo-Europeans

Fiernan Bohulughi(Earth people): remnants of the neolithic natives of Alba who worship the moon and have highly advanced math. "ruled" by the grandmothers at the great wisdom(stonehenge), strong spear-chosen as generals, and local village heads.

Contact with Nantucket has given them much needed advanced tech and warfare to survive this timeline

with two caste for this civ, maybe three;
the spear-chosen: warrors and hunters, maybe a higher male ratio or not.
and the moon-priest(esses), the "book-keepers" smarties who are the management and religious heads of the society.

Tartessians: Ancient, possible Basque cousins(and possibly to the Moon people) who are this era's big explorers and merchants, Tartesos is in the area of present-day Seville. Worship Arucutang of the Sea

2. Indo-Europeans

The Iraiina, bronze-age "sun-people" who are invaders/colonist in England. War-like and expansionist, each Tuatha is ruled by a Rahax. Bronze-age equivelent to the Commanchie, with tomahawks and warship Sky-Father.
Variations such as the Keyaltwar and Zarthani.

Ringapi are from around the Danube and are the more "civilized" and advanced iteration of Sun-people

3. The ancients
Varying in custom, tech, culture, etc

Archaea(Greece)
Egypt
Babylon
Hatusa(Hittites)
Olmecs
more as I think

4. Nantucket. Science time!
Modern day Americans in 3000 B.C, while much of the modern world was lost, there has been a massive recovery in the Republic of Nantucket, with their technology brought back up to almost par with WWI era warfare.

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
Re: Island in the sea of time mod. how to make?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 01:16:43 am »

Not entirely sure what you're asking for. However, it looks like a simple mod. Edit some raws, look in the DF Wiki for what tokens to use where, use Hugo_the_Dwarf's wikirip, and if you have questions, please use the questions thread.

Civilizations are entities (Defined in the entity raws), materials like Bronze already exist (They're inorganics), tech trees can be simulated with series of reactions. If you want to slow something down, try chains of automatic reactions, that end in the finished result.  For example, in a personal mod of mine, I have a trading via building system, that creates a trade-in-progress(0%) item, an automatic reaction turns the (0%) into a (5%), then a (10%), then a (15%) and so on.

Languages are a very heavy pain in the ass, simply because the files for them are massive. However, you would copy the raws from a preexisting language file, into a new one (Ex: language_preindoeuropeans.txt; you would create said file) and edit the values. Hierarchies are created via entity positions (See the entity raws for either dwarves or elves for examples).
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 01:20:22 am by Toxicshadow »
'ere the Chias get hungry...

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 01:18:20 am »

thank you. I will stop spamming the forums now X3

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 01:23:01 am »

thank you. I will stop spamming the forums now X3
Mhm no problem. Sorry if it's a bit general, I'm not really in a position to give a full tutorial into modding atm xD but, it's very simple. Just use notepad to edit the .txts. Or, if you dig far enough into the forums, a long time ago somebody posted a Notepad++ language file for DF Raws; however they were lacking a few lot of tokens.
'ere the Chias get hungry...

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 01:27:08 am »

I see. :3 and I have been playing around before, like replacing the default race of every civ with reptile men, so they may be all the same race, but act like the respective civ does X3

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
  • I have no idea what I am doing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 05:19:50 pm »

yeah, pretty much the best way to learn is to fart around until you break something.  Now...language files...I'm pretty sure I remember someone doing french, russian, german, and a whole pile of other different languages...but can't find it.

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 06:18:59 pm »

its fine. I can mix up things online with proto-indo-eurpean, basque, etc.

I just need the words, wich I can get. :3

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 07:16:15 pm »

its fine. I can mix up things online with proto-indo-eurpean, basque, etc.

I just need the words, wich I can get. :3

There was an application for taking a couple of words and turning them into a "language"..., right, there it is;
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=47332.0

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 07:52:43 pm »

thank you :D