Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: half-decent adventurerering  (Read 3398 times)

zimluura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: half-decent adventurerering
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2013, 05:36:22 pm »

training fighting on bogeymen doesnt work very well, but getting legendary thrower before doing any quests is toats legit.

hmm, bogeymen can be tough, each world generated will (normally) have several different types of bogeymen, some more dangerous than others.  are you faster than them?  my char was always a little faster than them, so i could withdraw from the fray, and wait for one to get in range, then try a <shift + a> attack.  if there were no good attack opportunities i'd hit <esc>, move a little further away, and try again.  anyway after a few tough fights the bogeymen became frequent wandering xp* fountains.

* and vomit, and blood

coldmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 09:10:42 am »

If I really, really want to make an unbeatable adventurer, I put all starting points into a weapon skill, although I do enable Reader. That way I have a solid attack and Necromancer potential. Then, I train up sneaking, swimming and crutch-walking at once. Once I'm good at it, I raid a castle or fortress for armour. What kind isn't really important as long as it gives maximum coverage, because I'm not gonna attack any armed opponent yet. Instead I travel into the wilderness and sneak around until I find a group of mostly harmless critters. I sneak into their midst, lay down, reveal myself. Oh, and start with having shields equipped. No weapon is necessary. No dodging, no charging, auto-wrestle enabled. Press '.' (dot) to skip your turn. What happens now is that several harmless critters will attack me over and over without trying to escape due to my proximity. Fighter, Shield User and Armor User will skyrocket. Dodging will rise some at first, but Shield User will become dominant. What do? Just drop the shields, and now I'm training Dodging the same way.
What I end up with is high Shield User, Fighter, Armor User, Dodging, willpower, strength, toughness etc., plus the high weapon skill I started out with. No risk involved, no good equipment required. It's also not very fun in any Dwarven kind of way, but it does make things easier if you plan on becoming a Husk Necromancer killing machine for purpose of invading the HFS.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 09:12:15 am by coldmonkey »
I found a human city named Sleevevirgins. It was easily the biggest city in the world, so clearly I wasn't the first person to come inside the city's walls.

human_dictionary

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 12:10:54 pm »

by 'mostly harmless critters' what do you mean? i hardly ever find more than the occasional quite-harmless wolf or jackal ambushes in the wild. and do you mean i just find a herd, sneak into their midst, onto the ground, unsneak and skip turns so they can attack me? and unequip my shield to train dodge?

how do i train up swimming without being able to swim? do i just find a crutch and equip it to train crutch-walking? hwat are your recommended tactics on becoming and being a necromancer?

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 01:26:46 pm »

Here's a way. In the raws, add this under [OBJECT:ENTITY] in the entity_default folder.
[ENTITY:HAX]
      [INDIV_CONTROLLABLE]
      [CREATURE:DRAGON]
This is the bare minimum, you may want to do things like add [CANOPENDOORS] or [NO_EAT] to the dragon entry in creature_standard. You can change or add playable creatures by changing the [CREATURE:X] part, I think you need to know the raws name for it though.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2013, 02:09:10 pm »

@human_dictionary

'Mostly harmless' critters are creatures that are small and, preferably, lack any attacks that can puncture skin (mostly beaks and claws, but also teeth when you can help it).  Horseshoe crabs are the safest choice for that training method; they're very small and their only attack is so harmless the worse they could do is bruise you. But as long as you're armored from head to toe, any sufficiently small creature will work. Note that this does NOT include herd animals, and especially not large predators like wolves; any lucky shot from them will cause grievous to fatal injuries, armor or no.

Just to be clear, are you looking for creatures while in the local map? You wont find any other creatures but ones that ambush you while fast traveling.

coldmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2013, 02:14:06 pm »

by 'mostly harmless critters' what do you mean? i hardly ever find more than the occasional quite-harmless wolf or jackal ambushes in the wild. and do you mean i just find a herd, sneak into their midst, onto the ground, unsneak and skip turns so they can attack me? and unequip my shield to train dodge?

how do i train up swimming without being able to swim? do i just find a crutch and equip it to train crutch-walking? hwat are your recommended tactics on becoming and being a necromancer?
I mostly go for weasels and birds and such. I guess it depends on your area, but most areas have some kind of weak social critter. As for swimming, it depends on if you put a point in it during creation (then you can swim) or if you're willing to get into a lake, wait a couple of turns, get up, get down again and repeat until you get your first point. I think for Demigod and Hero you'll get enough points over to put one in Swimming after putting what you can in a weapon skill. Say you need 16p to increase Spear and you have 8p left, then it may as well go in Swimming (if you've got Reader already). As for becoming a Necromancer, wait as long as you can stomach since it freezes your attributes. Zombies are easy to sneak past, so it shouldn't be a problem. Well, not an insurmountable one, at least... Also yes, to use a crutch you just need it in your hands, and they're pretty common in human fortresses. If you want to unequip it however, [d]rop it, don't pocket it, or the speed reduction won't go away.
I found a human city named Sleevevirgins. It was easily the biggest city in the world, so clearly I wasn't the first person to come inside the city's walls.

human_dictionary

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2013, 11:41:30 am »

im getting really annoyed at the minute, i cant seem to find any small animals to powerlevel on, except eagles and other nasty birds. and also, i cant make my hammerman companion sneak, even when i do.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2013, 02:19:08 pm »

im getting really annoyed at the minute, i cant seem to find any small animals to powerlevel on, except eagles and other nasty birds. and also, i cant make my hammerman companion sneak, even when i do.

In the current release, companions will never sneak or do anything else other than plunging headfirst into the maws of death. Also, tagging along them while you train with small fauna is not a roundly good idea, mainly because they'll crush and obliterate any animal within range.

Look out for beaches, they usually have horseshoe crabs which are wonderful for sparring purposes. Depending on certain worldgen conditions or where you're standing, you might have a hard time finding small animals, moreso if the regional savagery is pretty wild.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2013, 05:38:10 pm »

Depends a bit on starting stats. I prefer Skilled in Swordsman (slashing and stabbing), Fighter, and Shield (with multiple shields, will block many, many attacks, including arrows).
I used to grind for Ambusher, Armor and Throwing; it's good practice for getting into the game. When I became more seasoned I found that these were less necessary - and because I prefer roleplaying to "winning" the game, they don't really appeal to me anyway. I have one adventurer who crossed a huge world, surviving multiple ambushes, bogeyman attacks, and a dragon fight, with no grinding, all while alone, all while crippled (I did have a crutch).

(That's a good tip, by the way - training Crutch Walker increases speed, I think? Anyway, I'm faster now as a crippled dwarf now than a healthy elf)
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Nathail

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2013, 04:31:43 pm »

My guide to being a badass adventurer:

Stats: Raise Strength, Endurance, Agility, Willpower, Kinesthetic Sense, and Spatial Sense by two levels. Raise Intuition, Endurance, and Focus by one level.

Skills: Bring Observer to up to Great, Swimming op to Adequate, Reading to Novice, and pour the remaining skill points into Armor User.

Now, go to the nearest fortress and loot at least boots, a shield, gauntlets, a helm, and a cloak. You may need to loot multiple keeps to find what you need. Grab around fifty berries from some peasant's house as well. Now, go to the beach and find a horseshoe crab. Press Shift C, and change your attack prefferences to Close Combat, Stand Ground, and Stand Ground. Sneak up on the horseshoe crab, then lie down next to it (if it hasn't detected you, reveal yourself to it). Now press Alt R to start recording a macro. Mash the . key until your hand starts to hurt, then press Alt R again. You may be slightly bruised from the horseshoe crab pushing you, but the armor you got from the fortresses will keep your ears, finger and toenails from being smashed (unhealable wounds which will get infected and kill you) Now press Alt P to run the macro. Keep doing this, pausing occasionally to eat and drink. If your waterskin gets empty, bathe in the ocean and drink the water covering your clothes. When it starts to get dark, make sure you are on sand and go to sleep (bogeymen won't attack you when you are on the beach). When you wake up, find another horseshoe crab and repeat.

By the time you've run out of berries, you should be Legendary in Armor user, Shield User, Fighter, and Dodger, as well as Superhuman in all the stats we boosted during character creation. Now go find the weapon you want to use and begin your adventure as a nigh-unkillable being of deity-level power.

Be warned: Do not attempt to train using regular crabs. They will sever nerves and tendons and just generally screw you over. If anything does attack you on the beach, strangle it until it passes out and kick its skull in.

snakesoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2013, 04:57:04 pm »

My guide to being a badass adventurer:

Stats: Raise Strength, Endurance, Agility, Willpower, Kinesthetic Sense, and Spatial Sense by two levels. Raise Intuition, Endurance, and Focus by one level.

Skills: Bring Observer to up to Great, Swimming op to Adequate, Reading to Novice, and pour the remaining skill points into Armor User.

Now, go to the nearest fortress and loot at least boots, a shield, gauntlets, a helm, and a cloak. You may need to loot multiple keeps to find what you need. Grab around fifty berries from some peasant's house as well. Now, go to the beach and find a horseshoe crab. Press Shift C, and change your attack prefferences to Close Combat, Stand Ground, and Stand Ground. Sneak up on the horseshoe crab, then lie down next to it (if it hasn't detected you, reveal yourself to it). Now press Alt R to start recording a macro. Mash the . key until your hand starts to hurt, then press Alt R again. You may be slightly bruised from the horseshoe crab pushing you, but the armor you got from the fortresses will keep your ears, finger and toenails from being smashed (unhealable wounds which will get infected and kill you) Now press Alt P to run the macro. Keep doing this, pausing occasionally to eat and drink. If your waterskin gets empty, bathe in the ocean and drink the water covering your clothes. When it starts to get dark, make sure you are on sand and go to sleep (bogeymen won't attack you when you are on the beach). When you wake up, find another horseshoe crab and repeat.

By the time you've run out of berries, you should be Legendary in Armor user, Shield User, Fighter, and Dodger, as well as Superhuman in all the stats we boosted during character creation. Now go find the weapon you want to use and begin your adventure as a nigh-unkillable being of deity-level power.

Be warned: Do not attempt to train using regular crabs. They will sever nerves and tendons and just generally screw you over. If anything does attack you on the beach, strangle it until it passes out and kick its skull in.
This is the best but once you become a good dodger you can search for a group of hyenes or dingos, they'll surround you and power-level you.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2013, 02:03:52 am »

Crabs work just fine, only you'd first need to bash their arms to uselessness firts. As an added bonus, you can use it to train wrestling and (more) fighting after you've finished training armor and shield to sufficient levels; you just need to bash 4 of the crab's legs to keep them from standing, and then just press and hold the direction it's at for as long as you want to train. It may slip past a couple of times, especially at first when your wrestling skill is low, so just keep that in mind.

snakesoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2013, 02:10:17 am »

How to train armor with a very high dodge skill? I always dodge but I wan't to traing armor!

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2013, 02:58:36 am »

How to train armor with a very high dodge skill? I always dodge but I wan't to traing armor!

Press Shift+C and change your "Current Dodge Preference" to "Stand Ground."
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Urist MacNoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Indrick Boreale, Adventurus Astartes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2013, 01:15:45 pm »

Am I officially an adventurer now? I just survived brutal dehydration by walking into a kobold cave, slaughtering them all and drinking their blood to sustain myself.
Coldmonkey: "The idea that having flaming tools and introducing them to the intimate workings of someone you don't get along with is much too human for these forums. I mean, it's not really that hard, is it? Anyone can wield a torch, it doesn't prove anything. Wearing flaming clothes on the other hand, or better yet, wearing nothing at all and being on fire... that is the essence of dwarfish behavior."
Pages: 1 [2] 3