Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: half-decent adventurerering  (Read 3370 times)

human_dictionary

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
half-decent adventurerering
« on: May 15, 2013, 03:32:38 pm »

i see people in this forum often talking bout a multi-legendary adventurer they had, who killed 100's of goblins by means of tearing off their 4th toe, right foot with a whip made of flowers.

i, on the other hand, have a score of adventurers who died to a *********** chief in a camp which i got for the 3rd or so quest. the only lucky adventurer who didnt get a camp quest died to a goblin attack on the way to a big city.

is there a way to get a good adventurer? experience? good choices? or just simple luck? i would be happy for any answers to this, i cant watch the forum right now, because im off to an 8-hour ritual to xarkandushakk the dwarven god of random numbers, its the blue moon of felsite, so its an occasion which i really can't miss!

thanks in advance and may <carp> (9001) rain on you!

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
Re: half-decent adventurerering
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 04:37:31 pm »

Sigging yourself is poor etiquette.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 11:04:09 am by Pancakes »

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 05:53:29 pm »

Protip: When you get the bandit chief as your third quest, ask for an easier quest and go do that instead.

The number one killer of adventurers is trying to do too much too fast. E.g. training wrestling against camels when the character is still only at the "mongoose-wrestler" level of skill. Or trying to take on a bandit camp in melee when you should still be throwing rocks from the shadows instead.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

human_dictionary

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 01:37:27 am »

i sort of see where i'm going wrong now, but i still have questions:

does this mean i should get the 'knapper' skill to get sharp rocks to throw? should i take on quests alone because my friends cannot sneak?

ill have a go at some of these, but knowing me, they may not work  :-\

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 02:13:47 am »

does this mean i should get the 'knapper' skill to get sharp rocks to throw? should i take on quests alone because my friends cannot sneak?

Companions are great for taking on vampires, night creatures, lone named wild animals, and other singular targets. Mob the cheetah/vampire/naked peasant and take him/her/it down. They are also good for sewer/dungeon fighting, where line of sight is more restricted so a) your companions aren't running all over everywhere and b) you need a little protection from suddenly stumbling upon thirty bandits by yourself.

They can be great against camps, if you have a lot of them, but until you can muster a decent army (or can handle open combat against a camp on your own, which is very late-game) I'd recommend going solo against camps. Generally what happens is that your companions rush in, scatter some enemies, get killed, and generally don't do much to help you clear the place out. You can sit and throw rocks from sneak all day and eventually headshot everyone, as long as you make sure to keep your distance.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 02:14:47 am »

Overall ninja'd.

Right now you can just grab sand from the ground (an unlimited resource) and then just throw that sand to the ground where you're standing. Somehow, such a counter-Zen garden chore can get you to legendary throwing and archery in a measly 3 or 4 days of training. Your strenght and some other attributes will get raised, as well.

Also heed those advices, hunt down all the regional pumas, wolves and dingos before looking after the bandits. Keep yourself behind your comrades, they're trapped inside a ghoulish Groundhog Day and can reappear from their own 6:00 am, something you cannot. When you have your own plate armor and decent skills that allow you to wear it, then it's time for greater feats.

Good luck, and remember that Losing is Fun.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

zimluura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 11:38:24 am »

My most effective strategy is to put all my skill points into dodge at the very beginning, dodge is hard to train up otherwise.

Now that I don't get to eat/drink automatically when travelling I find it imperative to make a fort with some supplies.  usually want 3 waterskins for travel.  but maybe a training sword/axe/spear would be a good pickup as well.

after someone is beaten up on the ground you could switch to the training weapon and beat them up with it for a while to boost skills without killing them.

My most powerful character ever started by traveling alone and doing lots of fighting withdrawal's from bogeymen.  It was very tedious for the first 4-10 encounters with them, after that they were pretty easy.  After she'd killed like 700 of them she was something like legendary +17 in fighting and legendary +15 in swords.  I now gen worlds without bogeymen.  They're just a nuisance to my starting characters now; but I level up more slowly without them.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 12:36:07 pm »

I suggest you to do at least 3 quests, kill your enemies until there's only one and proceed to disarm the last.
just sit and see his pointless tries of killing you. You i'll get a lot of agility from it.
after the 3 quest go to a castle and take the better armor(and remenber that iron is superior to bronze).
be awesome(with meatshields friends)
In a time before time, I had a name.

JTTCOTE1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 05:56:32 pm »

My most effective strategy is to put all my skill points into dodge at the very beginning, dodge is hard to train up otherwise.
I find it helpful to get Novice reader (never know when you'll need an invincible undead army), but otherwise dodge is very worth investing in.

zimluura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 12:39:57 pm »

I find it helpful to get Novice reader (never know when you'll need an invincible undead army), but otherwise dodge is very worth investing in.

Ah, you're correct.  That character (the reason bogeymen fear the night) was before reading.  So in the new world put 1 point in reading, then pump up the dodge, then 1 point in swimming (if you can) saves some time in the beginning too.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 08:44:40 pm »

Get an iron mail shirt and helmet, armor is the key.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

human_dictionary

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 11:40:15 pm »

nice tips guys! ill try that throw farming tip. and training on bogeymen. about the armour, i just take what i find in lairs etc. i prioritise iron over bronze because they have similar defense but iron is lighter.

BACK TO ADVENTURING

human_dictionary

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 02:42:15 am »

got a good one, my guy killed a bandit master, a bandit overlord, a vampire, a night creature and a giant lion... then got murdered by bogeymen on the road to the capital.

training fighting on bogeymen doesnt work very well, but getting legendary thrower before doing any quests is toats legit. taking bandit camps alone is amazeballs, because i can sit throwing infinite rocks all day, and finish them off when they're unconscious, and if they spot me, i just run away, hide behind a tree and sneak to start throwing again. same thing for random encounters, hide behind a tree, sneak, walk away, travel.

thanks a lot you guys, but carry on popsting if there are any other ways to do half-decent adventurerering

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 10:58:29 am »

nice tips guys! ill try that throw farming tip. and training on bogeymen. about the armour, i just take what i find in lairs etc. i prioritise iron over bronze because they have similar defense but iron is lighter.

BACK TO ADVENTURING
iron is also sharper and less prone to break(read better against armor).
In a time before time, I had a name.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2013, 01:16:56 pm »

DOdging and shield user skills. Also, sneaking. Sneak always when you can. By sneaking you can take the bandits one by one, leaving the boss to the last one. Throw anything you'll get. Weapons of the fallen enemies and rocks. If you're going to face thing like night creature or megabeast, go and find a fortress and recruit some soldiers.
Pages: [1] 2 3