Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [LINUX] General Help and Bug Reports (v3a.3)  (Read 6182 times)

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [LINUX] General Help and Bug Reports (v3a.2)
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 12:47:52 pm »

I was updating my post as you were posting that and I've found a better fix. It turns out it conflicts with the ruby-autogen.rb script. But you can replace this script with the ruby-autogen.rb script from the normal DFHack download and it should work again.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2013, 02:37:40 pm »

Confirmed, so far - I replaced ruby-autogen.rb with the version I had handy from dfhack-0.34.11-r3-Linux.tar.gz and the hang does not occur.  Will continue testing.

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2013, 02:51:03 pm »

I uploaded v3a.3. This version fixes the following bugs:

-Fixed a crash from occurring when building a water wheel.
-Fixed a lot of bar quantity problems, including crate and rune reactions.
-Added new reactions for massive slag bar disposal. This should fix the 300 blocks of concrete being made from a single bar of slag problem.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

Ucarty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [LINUX] General Help and Bug Reports (v3a.3)
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2013, 03:35:49 pm »

Purely academic inquiry.

Why don't linux users have their own graphical settings interface, or deal with editing some config file, while using the linux df.
Is the mod somehow windows only?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2013, 05:27:38 pm »

the GUI is written in VB which runs only with Microsoft NET framework. A linux GUI is possible, but someone would have to write it first.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2013, 11:10:45 pm »

the GUI is written in VB which runs only with Microsoft NET framework. A linux GUI is possible, but someone would have to write it first.

I'm half-tempted to write one for Linux/Mac, even for just twiddling the basic settings like features, tilesets, and colours. One of my gotchas is that I have no shortage of masterwork things I want to fix, but I do have a limited amount of time, so most of the things I'll be fixing are thing which directly affect me.

I don't know if it's worth doing a Meph-style crowdfunding campaign for the PlayOnLinux/PlayOnMac recipes and configuration tools, but it would certainly allow me to blow off my regular consulting work to do DF hacks instead. There are pretty obvious stretch goals of "fix more bugs" if things end up getting over-funded.

~ T

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2013, 02:18:31 am »

What I remember from the time when linux/mac was updated with nearly every version is this: 95% Win OS, 4% Mac OS, >1% Linux OS players... I dont think it would be worth the effort to write the entire GUI anew. Especially since I will probably continue using the VB one anyway, because I can understand it.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2013, 02:44:19 am »

What I remember from the time when linux/mac was updated with nearly every version is this: 95% Win OS, 4% Mac OS, >1% Linux OS players... I dont think it would be worth the effort to write the entire GUI anew. Especially since I will probably continue using the VB one anyway, because I can understand it.

Except that 1% includes players who are professional software engineers, so it might get written regardless. ;)

somebears

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2013, 04:34:28 am »

One multi-plattform GUI would be a nice thing. (eg python) I think it would ease development as It would be possible to only supply one Version for mac, linux and windows with the downside of either a bigger archive or having the launcher download the required files.

Understanding (If you mean "modifying it to use new settings") is really a matter of how a tool is written. It is possible to supply a single text file to modify the GUI. No knowledge about the programm itself needed.

Would anyone be interrested if such a project would be started and more important: anyone able/willing to help?

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2013, 05:13:02 am »

One multi-plattform GUI would be a nice thing. (eg python) I think it would ease development as It would be possible to only supply one Version for mac, linux and windows with the downside of either a bigger archive or having the launcher download the required files.

This is as music to my ears. :)

If you're writing a cross-platform configuration program, I'd suggest forking off the studded with patches project, which can be found on github. That's not only formed the foundation for the last couple of releases, but it also means those riding the bleeding edge of development (ie: me) can play with it too. The windows GUI and drow fortress expansion are already forks off studded with patches.

Would anyone be interrested if such a project would be started and more important: anyone able/willing to help?

Interested yes. In terms of helping, I'll regularly provide praise and feedback. :)  In the unlikely event that your GUI is written in Perl,

~ T

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2013, 03:24:31 pm »

Understanding (If you mean "modifying it to use new settings") is really a matter of how a tool is written. It is possible to supply a single text file to modify the GUI. No knowledge about the programm itself needed.

This was tried a year ago. 3 people worked 6 months on it... it was never finished. I myself have gotten careful about implementing parts into the mod that I dont myself understand. dfhack plugins are difficult enough ^^

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2013, 06:57:13 pm »

This was tried a year ago. 3 people worked 6 months on it... it was never finished. I myself have gotten careful about implementing parts into the mod that I dont myself understand. dfhack plugins are difficult enough ^^

???

Colour me confused, but if you're asking for a native linux port of Masterwork 4, then surely an essential part of that would be a native configuration tool. I don't think somebears is suggesting we replace the existing Windows config at all.

~ T

somebears

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2013, 07:09:01 pm »

do you remember who tried that? I would be very interested in the source, even if it is in another language.

If something useful comes out of it, it is great. linux/Mac users get a gui, if they want. Nothing has to change for you or windows users
If it is another 6month no result thing I just wasted a lot of time, noone else got harmed

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2013, 05:31:34 am »

« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 05:33:11 am by Meph »

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2013, 04:28:47 pm »

Linux players can just CLI it.  Pick one or more:

cd data/init
sed -i -e 's/\[TRUETYPE:YES\]/\[TRUETYPE:NO\]/' init.txt
sed -i -e 's/\[WINDOWED:NO\]/\[WINDOWED:YES\]/' init.txt
cd ../..
cd raw/objects
sed -i -e 's/YESSMELTING\[/!NOSMELTING!/g' inorganic_dfhack.txt inorganic_mineral.txt reaction_masterwork.txt
sed -i -e 's/YESMIN\[/!NOMIN!/g' inorganic_dfhack.txt inorganic_mineral.txt reaction_masterwork.txt
sed -i -e 's/YESLEARNING\[/!NOLEARNING!/g' creature_standard.txt
sed -i -e 's/YESWARP\[/!NOWARP!/g' inorganic_zwarpstone.txt
sed -i -e 's/YESSSC\[/!NOSSC!/g' inorganic_stone_soil.txt
cd ../..
sed -i -e '/^diggingInvaders/s/^/#/' dfhack.init
sed -i -e '/^cls/s/^/#/' dfhack.init

Pages: 1 [2]