Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 108

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 40_13 Starter Pack r5  (Read 563680 times)

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihˇ, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress 40_13 Starter Pack r5
« on: May 15, 2013, 09:24:24 pm »

This starter pack bundles Dwarf Fortress with the best community graphics packs, tools, and interface improvements already configured - so getting the best of everything only takes a single download and no fiddling.  Get it here!

It's suitable for anyone - if you've never tried DF before, or played for years - because while I've set up all the included parts already, the core is as easily accessible to you:  you can add, remove, update, replace whatever you want to and customise the pack as much as you want.  The tools I've included make the game easier to get into, but avoid changing any of the fundamentals - there are no mods here.  Dwarf Fortress can be confusing enough to play, but doesn't need to be hard to set up too.

The pack has a thread on the Bay12 forums - use it for feedback, questions, suggestions, or anything else relevant.  The second post has a complete table of contents, a comprehensive changelog, and information on checksums and mirrors.  Salithus maintains a table of torrents here.  The last pack for 34.11 is archived and still available - but I recomend playing with the latest pack instead. 

Due the the level of variation between platforms and the configuration involved, the DF Starter Pack is only for windows - but there are similar packs available for Mac and for Linux

Lastly - Dwarf Fortress costs you nothing, because the developer gives it away and lives off donations (and allows redistribution!).  If you've got some money kicking around... consider a donation to say thanks, and help fund development for everyone. 

If you want to say thanks to me, just post a nice message - but I do take money too.  Note that the Starter Pack is totally free for everyone regardless, and that I'm not affiliated with Bay12 games but do have Toady's permission to take donations.

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Download and unzip the folder
    It's a bundle of portable apps; there's no further installation procedure.
    The pack must be able to read/write files though - so don't put it in a "Program Files" folder.
2. [Optional]:  upgrade from an earlier release by running the 'copy my data' script with both versions next to each other in a folder. 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 07:00:37 pm by PeridexisErrant »
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - 350,000 downloads and counting.  Donate here.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihˇ, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress 40_13 Starter Pack r5
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 09:24:45 pm »

Please note that these components are the work of others in the community - I've just collected and configured them. 
Spoiler: contents (click to show/hide)

Mirrors and Checksums
Spoiler: mirrors and checksums (click to show/hide)

Changelog: 
Spoiler: changelog (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 07:01:01 pm by PeridexisErrant »

CueBunny_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
Re: Expanded LNP - a single download with everything
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 12:13:42 pm »

How do you transfer your worlds to the new Lazy Newb Pack?? im currently using the original version of LNP and i cant figure out how to get my worlds from my old one to this new one.
I'm a Christian, Gamer, Tweeter, Pilot DwarfFortress Addict :3 CEO of Mobile Gaming Network«.

CueBunny_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 12:16:56 pm »

nevermind i figured it out! :P
I'm a Christian, Gamer, Tweeter, Pilot DwarfFortress Addict :3 CEO of Mobile Gaming Network«.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihˇ, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 12:54:53 am »

For posterity:  The way to do this is to copy the contents of your savegame folder across.  DON'T delete them until you test the new version!  The folder is in 'Dwarf Fortress>data>save', and can be opened from the 'folders' menu of the LNP. 

You can also edit your own comments using the 'modify' button on the top right, and posting the answers to your own question is encouraged - it helps anyone who searches for it later. 

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 03:05:16 pm »

I really wish you would disable the mouse query by default, I strongly dislike it.

Other then that, cool.

Jon-Ace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 03:35:08 pm »

A large chunk of dfhack plugins refuse to load with this version of LNP.

ex: workflow doesn't load and any attempt to manually load it doesn't do anything.

Nevermind.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 03:40:27 pm by Jon-Ace »

Clatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 07:14:59 pm »

Don't be like me and rename your LNP directory with spaces - nothing will work.

This is pretty exciting to see all of these tools running cross-platform.  I do have to say though that the Mac executable provided by the latest DFHack 0.34.11r3 is the only way I've been able to get DFHack to run natively on Mac.  It would be great if the tool could determine the OS and just run the appropriate executable - a lot less work.

So this is a cool development, but there's a lot of work to do yet!

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihˇ, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 09:28:17 pm »

Yeah, there's a lot of stuff where renaming something will break another tool that uses a defined folder path.  If you want to rename something, jut take it slow and keep checking that stuff still works - keeping a copy of the whole folder prior to any edits is also a good idea. 

There is actually nothing here which is actually usable on all platforms (except soundsense, somehow), but fortunately many developers compile a version each for windows mac and linux.  This looks like it keeps getting better as well, with a new edition of the LNP in the works which can be compiled for any platform - its in the mac version and while behind, is still usable. 

Tacyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 04:18:50 am »

Does this only contain utilities and no mods?

At least modest mod for some balance tweaks and bugfixes could be useful.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihˇ, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 08:41:31 am »

Everything except mods - master work has that covered pretty well for a single package, and there wasn't a vanilla equivalent. 

Id Utalrisen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 02:32:12 am »

Is anyone else getting a corrupted .zip when they download this?

Hommit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 04:12:39 am »

not sure with last version, but with previous author used for whatever reason a 7z and not zip. (is that useless unpacker exe still it btw? it should be removed. actual unpacking can be done with command-line 7z (+standalone dll) and simple .bat file)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 04:14:15 am by Hommit »

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihˇ, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 06:04:40 am »

Recent versions are all .zip - there were some issues before with the 100MB hosting limit, so I was tweaking the compression, but eventually just cleaned some of the less useful bits out.  The unpacker has been removed, since everyone can extract .zip files. 

So far as I can tell it's working, and there have been a couple of new versions since you got the corrupted download - hopefully it'll keep working fine. 

Id Utalrisen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 10:08:33 am »

Still corrupted for me, downloaded it 3 or 4 times last night, and still getting this. Can anyone reproduce this, or am I doing something wrong?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Update: Not having this problem as of v14! Yay!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 11:02:55 am by Id Utalrisen »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 108