Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]

Author Topic: *We need your help with game ending stress*  (Read 23589 times)

nautilu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: *We need your help with game ending stress*
« Reply #240 on: January 11, 2020, 08:57:06 am »

Yeah. Leaders should do more and the more complex the fort becomes the more dedicated the rulers have to be to their job. Maybe it could lead to a faction system where a greedy ruler will extort citizens, etc. If the ruler is skilled and popular enough then they have support, or if not then maybe a real civil war could happen, with each side wishing to install its leader to the throne.
Imagine a scenario where the king keeps taking a dwarfs socks because they are his favorite item, but the dwarf happens to be an elite guard in the kings throne room... And so goes the tale of Urist "The Headless" Longhose....

Or religious wars... "What do you mean you dont want to join the vampire kings religion??? Infidel!!"

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 11, 2020, 09:42:26 am »

Yeah. Leaders should do more and the more complex the fort becomes the more dedicated the rulers have to be to their job. Maybe it could lead to a faction system where a greedy ruler will extort citizens, etc.

If the ruler is skilled and popular enough then they have support, or if not then maybe a real civil war could happen, with each side wishing to install its leader to the throne.
Imagine a scenario where the king keeps taking a dwarfs socks because they are his favorite item, but the dwarf happens to be an elite guard in the kings throne room... And so goes the tale of Urist "The Headless" Longhose....

There's already the upcoming law arc for flexible application of entities governence but pretty much, but it'd be helpful if actual insurrections would formally generate a new governmental name and some way to mediate the conflicts.

If dwarves can put forward a ultimatum first in a emergency roundtable meeting like a diplomat from the mountainhome asking that you surrender to the will of the Dwarven kingdom and accept a administrator peacefully to avert a siege, or the enraged/villian network leader of the opposition they can probably solve the problem without resorting first to violence.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 11, 2020, 01:16:32 pm »

Isn't the law arc, in all likelihood, still nearly a decade away? I agree that some work before then would be helpful.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 11, 2020, 04:02:46 pm »

Isn't the law arc, in all likelihood, still nearly a decade away? I agree that some work before then would be helpful.

If I recall correctly it's set to be right after the Myth and Magic arc, which is pretty much as close in time as possible in the grand scheme of things (which may very well be 5 years or so off still, but definitely not a decade).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 11, 2020, 06:45:25 pm »

If I recall correctly it's set to be right after the Myth and Magic arc, which is pretty much as close in time as possible in the grand scheme of things (which may very well be 5 years or so off still, but definitely not a decade).
Myth and Magic at least a couple of long development phases. 3 years for one 1.5 for the other 6 months brush up/bugs in between, then development starts. Getting close to a decade.

And M&M won't get started for at least a year or two.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 11, 2020, 06:55:23 pm »

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking, which is where I was getting a decade from.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 11, 2020, 07:05:40 pm »

Well, even if that kind of scenario would play out it's still just around the corner in df development terms I'd say ^^

nautilu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 12, 2020, 11:52:07 am »

There's already the upcoming law arc for flexible application of entities governence but pretty much, but it'd be helpful if actual insurrections would formally generate a new governmental name and some way to mediate the conflicts.

If dwarves can put forward a ultimatum first in a emergency roundtable meeting like a diplomat from the mountainhome asking that you surrender to the will of the Dwarven kingdom and accept a administrator peacefully to avert a siege, or the enraged/villian network leader of the opposition they can probably solve the problem without resorting first to violence.
I like your idea. A fort call to court should be easy and quick to implement and can solve some unhappiness problems without breaking the game. And can always be expanded into diplomacy later.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 13, 2020, 09:36:57 pm »

I like your idea. A fort call to court should be easy and quick to implement and can solve some unhappiness problems without breaking the game. And can always be expanded into diplomacy later.

Main utility in the short term would be calling a fort-wide meeting so everyone can tell you what their biggest gripe is via the mayor or whoever's in charge in the aristocracy on-site. Would at least give the player some idea of what the biggest problems currently are in regards to stress besides the super-obvious like post-siege clean-up. Would be useful once the population grows beyond a certain size I would think, and I think someone floated an idea to that effect earlier in the thread.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 13, 2020, 09:52:03 pm »

That and more proactive stress fixing behavior on the part of the dwarves. If you've got taverns and temples and mugs and whatnot no one should be getting super stressed out about missing those things. I'd say once a dwarf gets stressed about stuff they should start prioritizing fixing what they can.

More spontaneous parties would be good. Or even cultural/religious holidays to give more of a fortress-wide break.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]