Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 385

Author Topic: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack  (Read 4108272 times)

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 40_10 Starter Pack r4
« Reply #1125 on: September 01, 2014, 11:26:10 am »

Yes if you want to turn twbt off go into Dwarf Fortress 40_10 Starter Pack r3\Dwarf Fortress 0.40.10\data\init and open up the init.txt, find this [PRINT_MODE:STANDARD] and turn it into this [PRINT_MODE:2D], twbt will no longer be activated. That's all it should require.

I was kindof surprised that there was only the option for twbt graphics in the latest versions (r3-r4) though. It's not like it's a bad thing but there should be options not to use it, that don't require editing the init.txt yourself.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: September 01, 2014, 04:22:38 pm »

I don't think TwbT should be enabled by default, at least not in a starter pack like this - while it's certainly useful for players that prefer graphics sets that support it, it's already causing a lot of confusion among new and old players that weren't expecting its side effects (e.g. disabling Truetype, performance issues, and bugs, although those situations are improving). Also, since it requires DFHack, it can only be enabled for a new DF version once DFHack is released - enabling it by default will end up changing the "default" behavior every few days, which is bound to be even more confusing.
Anyway, a simpler method of disabling it (rather than changing PRINT_MODE) is to change its extension to something other than ".plug.dll" (even ".disabled.dll" will work, and make it appear as a DLL elsewhere).
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

arcane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: September 01, 2014, 04:54:20 pm »

Just a quick note to say thank you.  Your starter pack has made my dwarf fortress experience more enjoyable.  Keep up the good work.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #1128 on: September 01, 2014, 05:17:30 pm »

I don't think TwbT should be enabled by default, at least not in a starter pack like this - while it's certainly useful for players that prefer graphics sets that support it, it's already causing a lot of confusion among new and old players that weren't expecting its side effects (e.g. disabling Truetype, performance issues, and bugs, although those situations are improving). Also, since it requires DFHack, it can only be enabled for a new DF version once DFHack is released - enabling it by default will end up changing the "default" behavior every few days, which is bound to be even more confusing.
Anyway, a simpler method of disabling it (rather than changing PRINT_MODE) is to change its extension to something other than ".plug.dll" (even ".disabled.dll" will work, and make it appear as a DLL elsewhere).

Although I see and agree that it caused a lot of confusion recently, I don't agree that it's bad for new (i.e. not played before) players - they don't know about truetype anyway so they won't miss it, and also won't be terrified by text with strange symbols instead of punctuation and letters (as truetype works not on all screens). Multilevel rendering should be off by default, I think, at least not to affect FPS, ideally there should be an option in the launcher.

As for dfhack, I actually don't understand why LNP authors release new packs for each df version before dfhack is available. Dfhack is essential for many players and they will be confused much more by updating to a new version of the same pack and finding many screens and features missing. At least it should be clear from a version description that dfhack is not available, I think.

Devstorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: September 01, 2014, 06:09:59 pm »

Crash. I can't get r4 to run for me. After I use the launcher to begin the game I shortly get a "Dwarf Fortress.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close" message. It may be related to the tweaks being done, as it happens every  time, anywhere between "Enabled tweak patrol-duty (patrol_duty_hook::isPatrol)" and  "Enabled tweak craft-age-wear (craft_age_wear_hook::ageItem)".

What can I say? The bugs seem to like me.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: September 01, 2014, 06:22:49 pm »

Crash. I can't get r4 to run for me. After I use the launcher to begin the game I shortly get a "Dwarf Fortress.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close" message. It may be related to the tweaks being done, as it happens every  time, anywhere between "Enabled tweak patrol-duty (patrol_duty_hook::isPatrol)" and  "Enabled tweak craft-age-wear (craft_age_wear_hook::ageItem)".

What can I say? The bugs seem to like me.
Do you see the "Enabled tweak craft-age-wear (craft_age_wear_hook::ageItem)" line? If you do, it's probably related to something after that line.

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: September 01, 2014, 07:43:20 pm »

I want to enable it, not disable it, how do i do that? So my text looks like this.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #1132 on: September 01, 2014, 08:10:45 pm »

I want to enable it, not disable it, how do i do that? So my text looks like this.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Download latest 4.xx version from https://github.com/mifki/df-twbt/releases
Unpack and copy everything from 0.40.10-r1 folder to your hack\plugins folder. Copy curses_800x600.png to data\art folder.
In init.txt set FONT to curses_800x600.png and PRINT_MODE to STANDARD.

If you then experience crashes or any other bad things, don't panic, just change PRINT_MODE back to 2D to disable the plugin and wait until I fix it.

salithus

• Bay Watcher
  • gottagofast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: September 01, 2014, 08:16:58 pm »

mifki - don't you also need the shadow image file?

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #1134 on: September 01, 2014, 08:33:17 pm »

Well he asked for fonts, not multilevel) and I believe it's already included in starter pack.

salithus

• Bay Watcher
  • gottagofast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: September 01, 2014, 09:15:25 pm »

Well he asked for fonts, not multilevel) and I believe it's already included in starter pack.
ah. still trying to wrap my head around what depends on what.

jwhite.df

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: September 01, 2014, 10:52:57 pm »

In the trade screen, I got a counter-offer and saw this at the bottom:

I think that "q" is a search, but neither "Esc" nor "E" got me back to the "consider the offer" screen. Guessing this is a TwbT issue? What's the interface supposed to let me do? I'll try it before using "die" in the dfhack window to go back to a save.

salithus

• Bay Watcher
  • gottagofast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: September 01, 2014, 10:55:42 pm »

I think that "q" is a search, but neither "Esc" nor "E" got me back to the "consider the offer" screen. Guessing this is a TwbT issue? What's the interface supposed to let me do? I'll try it before using "die" in the dfhack window to go back to a save.
wondering if that'd dfhack itself - I know they were having an issue a while back because Toady changed the size of the trading screen

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: September 01, 2014, 11:02:05 pm »

Try "Enter"

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #1139 on: September 01, 2014, 11:03:55 pm »

No, it's not me)
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 385