Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 385

Author Topic: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack  (Read 4114549 times)

Friti

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Roo. Hop to it.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 40_10 Starter Pack r4
« Reply #1155 on: September 04, 2014, 12:03:45 am »

Possibly a silly question, but I figure it's worth inquiring after.

I havn't seen the cheatsheets included in the DF Starter Pack in a few versions.  They're explicitly mentioned in the pack contents notes, but I'll be darned if I can find them as part of the package anymore.  They made some excellent reference sheets.

Have they moved?  Am I just overlooking them?

The sheets in question:  http://redd.it/1fvcmn

« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 01:58:25 am by Friti »

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: September 04, 2014, 03:51:50 am »

I havn't seen the cheatsheets included in the DF Starter Pack in a few versions.  They're explicitly mentioned in the pack contents notes, but I'll be darned if I can find them as part of the package anymore.  They made some excellent reference sheets.

Have they moved?  Am I just overlooking them?

The sheets in question:  http://redd.it/1fvcmn

Whoops, I should have taken them out of the contents list.  I removed the cheatsheets a while ago, since there are significant changes to agriculture, combat, and material effectiveness since they were made.  For example:  many new crops, huge changes to crossbows and armour effectiveness, and so on. 
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

idgarad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: September 04, 2014, 07:32:35 am »

Just type multilevel 0 in the DFHack console if you are having crashing issues when going up or down Z levels. No need to butcher dlls and what not. Solved most of my crash problems. Still having some crash issues (might involved pathing issues with using legit quantum stockpiles, still investigating).

Friti

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Roo. Hop to it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: September 04, 2014, 09:38:35 am »

Whoops, I should have taken them out of the contents list.  I removed the cheatsheets a while ago, since there are significant changes to agriculture, combat, and material effectiveness since they were made.  For example:  many new crops, huge changes to crossbows and armour effectiveness, and so on. 

Understood.  Is this something that's expected to make a comeback?  Do we know if there is someone maintaining such regularly, or a project that's doing such?  Or is this perhaps one of those things that's hanging out in the wind waiting for someone to take up the banner and compile new reference sheets for, pending some new data for 2014?  Probably not exactly your field since your view is broader, but it doesn't hurt to ask I figure.  I personally found them immensely helpful to post on the bulletin board beside my monitors to glance at when I didn't want to go spend several minutes sorting through the (arguably) helpful wiki.

nohrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: September 04, 2014, 02:37:38 pm »

After a year or so... to the point, I downloaded the lazynewbpack (thank you for gathering all those things in one place) The new version is 40.11, I copy/pasted it over the df 40.10 (in the lazy folder) replacing the files, should work right with all the patch thingies from the new version?

salithus

• Bay Watcher
  • gottagofast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: September 04, 2014, 02:38:42 pm »

After a year or so... to the point, I downloaded the lazynewbpack (thank you for gathering all those things in one place) The new version is 40.11, I copy/pasted it over the df 40.10 (in the lazy folder) replacing the files, should work right?
not guaranteed:

If you copy your data/save folder over to the new version's data folder, it should be okay.  Don't extract the new version over the old one, as that can cause various troubles.

nohrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: September 04, 2014, 02:39:35 pm »

After a year or so... to the point, I downloaded the lazynewbpack (thank you for gathering all those things in one place) The new version is 40.11, I copy/pasted it over the df 40.10 (in the lazy folder) replacing the files, should work right?
not guaranteed:

If you copy your data/save folder over to the new version's data folder, it should be okay.  Don't extract the new version over the old one, as that can cause various troubles.

Thank You friend

Ostar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: September 04, 2014, 06:45:35 pm »

I have r4 installed and start the game via the Starter Pack launcher.
When I actually get to the embark screen using the ClassicLNP.txt or PeridexisErrant.txt Key bindings, the +-: Add section on the bottom of the screen shows a blotchy square instead of the + symbol ( the - shows correctly). The + key does not work at all, but the - key still does. This does not happen with the Vanilla DF.txt key binding. The + key works fine with it and shows as a + on screen. Turning True Type Fonts on or off has no effect. I am using the default graphics of the Starter Pack.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: September 04, 2014, 06:54:44 pm »

Quick announcement on my update plans:  I feel that the features and stability of 40_10 r4 justify leaving that as the main version until DFHack is available for 40_11.  I may do a series of 'bleeding edge' releases on a different DFFD page (and announced in this thread), depending on my free time - of which I have basically none at the moment.  We'll see. 

Understood.  Is this something that's expected to make a comeback?  Do we know if there is someone maintaining such regularly, or a project that's doing such?  Or is this perhaps one of those things that's hanging out in the wind waiting for someone to take up the banner and compile new reference sheets for, pending some new data for 2014?  Probably not exactly your field since your view is broader, but it doesn't hurt to ask I figure.  I personally found them immensely helpful to post on the bulletin board beside my monitors to glance at when I didn't want to go spend several minutes sorting through the (arguably) helpful wiki.
I believe they're hanging in the wind, so if anyone wanted to create an updated version - which could just note that some information is unconfirmed - that would be awesome!  The source files are available at http://redd.it/1fvcmn

After a year or so... to the point, I downloaded the lazynewbpack (thank you for gathering all those things in one place) The new version is 40.11, I copy/pasted it over the df 40.10 (in the lazy folder) replacing the files, should work right with all the patch thingies from the new version?
No, this won't work well at all.  Salithus is correct in that copying over an older version is expected to cause problems, but you'll also have problems with DFHack being for a different version.  To import a newer version, make a copy of the Starter Pack, replace the whole DF folder, and delete all the graphics (which are incompatible and will break saves).  If you then name the folder "Dwarf Fortress 40_11 Starter Pack r0"  the update script will recognise it once an official update comes out.

When I actually get to the embark screen using the ClassicLNP.txt or PeridexisErrant.txt Key bindings, the +-: Add section on the bottom of the screen shows a blotchy square instead of the + symbol ( the - shows correctly). The + key does not work at all, but the - key still does. This does not happen with the Vanilla DF.txt key binding. The + key works fine with it and shows as a + on screen. Turning True Type Fonts on or off has no effect. I am using the default graphics of the Starter Pack.
Sounds like an issue with keyboard format, in which case all I can do is suggest that you stick to the keybindings that work for you.  Posting screenshots might allow a more helpful diagnosis. 
 Donations here.

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: September 04, 2014, 08:18:48 pm »

Quick announcement on my update plans:  I feel that the features and stability of 40_10 r4 justify leaving that as the main version until DFHack is available for 40_11.  I may do a series of 'bleeding edge' releases on a different DFFD page (and announced in this thread), depending on my free time - of which I have basically none at the moment.  We'll see. 

I think that's a good decision. It's really nice having DF Hack and there just doesn't seem to be anything important enough added in 40_11 to go without it.
Quote from: Dirst
For example, if you wanted to check if a unit was eligible to be a politician or a car salesman, you'd first want to verify that there is no soul present...

Quote from: gchristopher
The more appropriate question becomes, are they awesome and dwarven enough.

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: September 04, 2014, 09:34:56 pm »

I highly agree, waiting for DFHack is probably best. But really.. no one should ever expect anything from any of you and if you decided to wait for a few more releases to go through for it to be worth your time working on something this extensive, just call 40.10 good for now. Just because Toady releases stuff every few days, doesn't mean you guys have to stand at attention and tackle things on the spot. If someone has to have the newest build at all times, then they can use straight up vanilla or learn some patience. We appreciate what you've done so far and 40.10 should be good enough for most people for the time being.

The only thing I was excited about was dwarves taking bedrooms over hospital/dormitory beds, but that will probably still work later in another new release. I will keep my hospital designs on the back burner until *you* decide you have the time and motivation to update things.

But, that doesn't mean I'm gonna stop spamming the F5 key. I think it's simply become a habit at this point. :P

The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: September 04, 2014, 10:10:16 pm »

I highly agree, waiting for DFHack is probably best. But really.. no one should ever expect anything from any of you and if you decided to wait for a few more releases to go through for it to be worth your time working on something this extensive, just call 40.10 good for now. Just because Toady releases stuff every few days, doesn't mean you guys have to stand at attention and tackle things on the spot. If someone has to have the newest build at all times, then they can use straight up vanilla or learn some patience. We appreciate what you've done so far and 40.10 should be good enough for most people for the time being.

The only thing I was excited about was dwarves taking bedrooms over hospital/dormitory beds, but that will probably still work later in another new release. I will keep my hospital designs on the back burner until *you* decide you have the time and motivation to update things.

But, that doesn't mean I'm gonna stop spamming the F5 key. I think it's simply become a habit at this point. :P

Aw, thanks!  It's getting better though - I've started writing some scripts that do some of the routine stuff for me, so while it's as much work as ever to keep up with updates it no longer takes an afternoon to check everything, compress and document it, and upload. 
 Donations here.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: September 04, 2014, 10:30:06 pm »

I'm experimenting with using a different page for unstable or incomplete faster updates - if you decide to use it, please read the disclaimers. 

It's over here.
 Donations here.

Sirmaril

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm from Poland, so sorry for my bad english.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: September 05, 2014, 03:02:39 am »

I'm experimenting with using a different page for unstable or incomplete faster updates - if you decide to use it, please read the disclaimers. 

It's over here.

Maybe you could post the link to this unstable version on the main post so we could find it in the future.

nohrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: September 05, 2014, 12:23:44 pm »

I believe they're hanging in the wind, so if anyone wanted to create an updated version - which could just note that some information is unconfirmed - that would be awesome!  The source files are available at http://redd.it/1fvcmn

No, this won't work well at all.  Salithus is correct in that copying over an older version is expected to cause problems, but you'll also have problems with DFHack being for a different version.  To import a newer version, make a copy of the Starter Pack, replace the whole DF folder, and delete all the graphics (which are incompatible and will break saves).  If you then name the folder "Dwarf Fortress 40_11 Starter Pack r0"  the update script will recognise it once an official update comes out.

Sounds like an issue with keyboard format, in which case all I can do is suggest that you stick to the keybindings that work for you.  Posting screenshots might allow a more helpful diagnosis.

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to installing tilesets, I always use Your copilation of mods that make it easy or download directlly say from Mr. Madej's site. To play I need a tileset, the latest version of df and soundsense, nothing more, but also nothing less. What I did is: I downloaded your pack, deleted the game folder "Dwarf Fortress 0.40.10" , downloaded the 40.11 , named it "Dwarf Fortress 0.40.10" and pasted in place of previously deleted game folder. I opened the LNP installed the Mayday tileset, updated soundsense, and It all seems legit, the ingame version is 40.11, soundsense works, tileset is there. Just a reassurance question since I want to spend some days on building a fortress: This newbie solution should not "destroy" the game as in, spawn some troubles later on, right? Pardon in advance for my stupidity. (This is a question to anyone having some free time to answer, not necessarily to the author of the compilation, I don't want seem like I dare wasting his time with utter newby questions)
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 385