Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 385

Author Topic: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack  (Read 4098342 times)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 40_11 Starter Pack r3
« Reply #1230 on: September 12, 2014, 09:37:49 am »

/headdesk

Yep, graphics should be OK this time... I'm just used to them changing.  Therapist and DFHack will be missing though.

No therapist, or DFHack?  Well then I might as well go back to v0.23 if we are going to be living in the dark ages.  Geez.

For clarity:  if you update for yourself, you won't have those tools.  The official update wouldn't be complete without them, so don't worry - when the Starter Pack updates to 40.12 it will have both.

Which will be about seven minutes before 40.13 is released :)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

MasterHooDie

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: September 13, 2014, 12:22:02 pm »

Created an account just to say thanks for making the pack. It is appreciated, especially with the constant quick updates.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #1232 on: September 13, 2014, 08:41:03 pm »

Well as we wait for the update to 40.12 I might as well post this. It is a link to a playlist of videos for a fort I did using the starter pack r1 and r4 from 40.10 and admittedly the fort ends by my stupidity but thats half the fun, right? The playlist has 8 videos all in 720p using the Mayday tileset with lengths varying between 30 minutes up to a little less then 50 with a total play time which almost reaches 5 hours. If this doesn't really belong here I can edit this away if requested.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Sheo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Expanded LNP - a single download with everything (r21)
« Reply #1233 on: September 14, 2014, 10:19:27 am »

It was. I'll renable that patch in dfhack.init too (sigh). 

In fact, I'll just put all the binpatches back, doing it piecemeal isn't worth it. That'll be a few days unless something else comes up.

Excuse my ignorance, but is there any way for me to import keybinds from version to version?

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: September 14, 2014, 10:28:37 am »

Yep!  If you mean DF keybindings, copy across "Dwarf Fortress /data/init/interface.txt" to the new version. For dfhack copy across the relevant sections of dfhack.init.

And, uh, why the year-old quote?
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Sheo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: September 14, 2014, 10:46:35 am »

Yep!  If you mean DF keybindings, copy across "Dwarf Fortress /data/init/interface.txt" to the new version. For dfhack copy across the relevant sections of dfhack.init.

And, uh, why the year-old quote?

Thanks!

...uh, ignore that. For some reason I think I failed to click in the latest posts and thinking I was there, I quoted the last message I saw by you there.

My bad, mate.

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: September 14, 2014, 01:05:28 pm »

I'm downloading the newest starter pack now...I love nearly all the features, and want to say thanks for putting it together.

I have one major issue, however. In the last version I played (34.11), it was WAY too easy to skill up military skills. After three seasons I had some soldiers with 200+ skills. Many dwarves have weapon/fighter skills in the 150-250 range.

This gave me an uneasy "danger room" feeling, and kind of took all of the fun out of my fort. How can I stop this?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 01:07:02 pm by toomanysecrets »

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #1237 on: September 14, 2014, 08:01:15 pm »

meh
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 12:59:23 am by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

arcturusthelesser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: September 15, 2014, 12:57:43 am »

I'm downloading the newest starter pack now...I love nearly all the features, and want to say thanks for putting it together.

I have one major issue, however. In the last version I played (34.11), it was WAY too easy to skill up military skills. After three seasons I had some soldiers with 200+ skills. Many dwarves have weapon/fighter skills in the 150-250 range.

This gave me an uneasy "danger room" feeling, and kind of took all of the fun out of my fort. How can I stop this?
Have you encountered this in 0.40?
If so, the best solution i can suggest is a hard embark/murdalizing the elves.
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!

bouli

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: September 15, 2014, 05:34:29 am »

Well as we wait for the update to 40.12 I might as well post this. It is a link to a playlist of videos for a fort I did using the starter pack r1 and r4 from 40.10 and admittedly the fort ends by my stupidity but thats half the fun, right? The playlist has 8 videos all in 720p using the Mayday tileset with lengths varying between 30 minutes up to a little less then 50 with a total play time which almost reaches 5 hours. If this doesn't really belong here I can edit this away if requested.
Good vids, man. I think your voice sounds a little bit like Mark Ruffalo's. ;D

... and it is a good opportunity to thank PeridexisErrant (and all the guys (and gals) who make the content of the starter pack) as well as the Bay12 bros.

yawa

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: September 15, 2014, 09:40:00 am »

Hey Peridexis, can I suggest adding some tooltips or additional descriptions to the Utils list in this pack? For new players it's far from obvious what all the various programs are for, so a brief description would help beginners decide what they want to enable and save referencing the wiki.

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: September 15, 2014, 03:00:00 pm »

Hey Peridexis, can I suggest adding some tooltips or additional descriptions to the Utils list in this pack?

Could I also suggest the tooltips that are available stay popped up as long as the mouse is hovering over them? I can't finish reading some of them before they disappear. And they don't always pop up again when trying to hover over again. It's very sporadic.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 03:01:44 pm by Spectre Incarnate »
The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?

salithus

• Bay Watcher
  • gottagofast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: September 15, 2014, 06:08:21 pm »

I doubt there will be any UI changes to the Starter Pack - PE may correct me on this, but in conversations via PM with him he's focusing his future efforts on the cross-platform PyLNP, so you may want to bring these ideas up there.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: September 15, 2014, 08:01:46 pm »

It's probably worth noting that the pack has just passed 300,000 downloads from DFFD, and who-knows-how-many from rehosting, the torrents, and all the other distributions.  To all the people who make this possible - thanks.

Hey Peridexis, can I suggest adding some tooltips or additional descriptions to the Utils list in this pack?
Could I also suggest the tooltips that are available stay popped up as long as the mouse is hovering over them? I can't finish reading some of them before they disappear. And they don't always pop up again when trying to hover over again. It's very sporadic.
Basically no, sorry.  The tooltips as I understand them are basically just telling an underlying framework "make a tooltip with this text", and I don't know of a way to have them behave differently.  The utilities list is generated by scanning the utilities folder for programs, so there's no text to put in a tooltip - I don include the contents list with links in LNP/About/ though!

Salithus is correct that future development will focus on the PyLNP, for a couple of reasons.  One is that it's cross-platform - for the first time ever we can have universal standards for starter packs, and share common resources.  Another is that I actually know enough Python that I can contribute to the project, whereas I basically just inherited the current launcher and there's no one currently maintaining it.  Last, it's under active development and already out-features the current launcher - so both will be included on a trial basis.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Pidgeot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: September 16, 2014, 03:34:13 am »

For the record, PyLNP tooltips stay up indefinitely.

Tooltips on utilities are doable, but since the file names are indeed auto-detected, the text needs to come from an external source, and that source needs to be sufficiently updated.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 385