Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 385

Author Topic: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack  (Read 4114975 times)

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 40_14 Starter Pack r1
« Reply #1650 on: November 06, 2014, 09:15:07 pm »

You need to generate a new world to get stepladders; if that doesn't fix it it's an issue with the graphics packs.
Hey Peridexis - coding noob here, and I was kinda wondering something.

Of course there are major updates here and there, but when they are minor updates to the coding - such as 40.14 to 40.15 - why does all modding for them have to be reformatted?

This is not me being ungrateful or anything, God knows I'd be unable to play DF without your pack, just wondering what are the complications from a technical standpoint.

(For many of the smaller updates the raws didn't change, so graphics and mods were fine)

For graphics, stepladders present two issues:  they're defined in the raws, and they need to be displayed.  Graphics packs work by messing around in the raws to point things at different tiles in a custom tileset (and unit sprites, but that's another story); so they have to both add stepladders to the raws and work out which tile to display them with - which might mean a big shuffle, since you can only use a limit number of tiles.  A saved game is really sensitive to the raws - because they inform *what* got saved (what happens when someone's carrying a knife, and an update removes knives from the game?).  To avoid pain, these changes just don't affect old worlds. 

For some of the other stuff (Therapist, DFHack) the basic function is reading and editing the RAM in use by DF, and the patterns change with each code update so they have to map the whole thing again and recompile.  By the time I wait for those and graphics, check updates to keybindings and settings, etc. it can take a couple of days - in this case longer than usual because the emotion/thought upgrades make things a lot more complicated and needed a lot of patches.

Hope that helps!
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Sheo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: November 06, 2014, 09:17:39 pm »

snip
That does!

Thanks for the quick response and keep up the good work, bro.

Devstorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: November 06, 2014, 09:39:29 pm »

I was using phoebus' tileset. And even after generating a new world and starting again, there were no stepladders. So I think it's the tileset.

Just thought you ought to know.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #1653 on: November 06, 2014, 09:57:21 pm »

Also with DF there are no "major updates" and "minor updates", nobody knows what breaking changes Toady will include in the next version regardless of its number :)

ChaosMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: November 06, 2014, 11:29:45 pm »

kinda awakard, just dled 40_14 of the df starter pack...and well im having a few problems with the whole clicking on dwarves and getting either the stockpiles or millitary screen, any idea whats goin on or do i need to reinstall again?
<Chaos? Normal-, Death on untold levels? eeehhh need more popcorn, Adamantium? Shiney! The Circus? Isnt that where the clowns live? Burning elves and using their race as a insult-Definetly a dwarf!>
<dying's half the fun, and all the FUN!>-Grombardrim

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: November 06, 2014, 11:54:16 pm »

It sounds like there's a problem with the mousequery plugin; uncheck the mouse control option in the dfhack tab and see if that helps.
 Donations here.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #1656 on: November 07, 2014, 12:29:49 am »

It sounds like there's a problem with the mousequery plugin; uncheck the mouse control option in the dfhack tab and see if that helps.

Can you check if it's the original dfhack mousequery or from twbt causing problems?

ChaosMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: November 07, 2014, 12:35:07 am »

well tried on the PyLNP start up for the partial mouse control, that didnt work, the mousequery...just turned off any useage of the mouse...so not so sure whats causing the issue. maybe bug?
<Chaos? Normal-, Death on untold levels? eeehhh need more popcorn, Adamantium? Shiney! The Circus? Isnt that where the clowns live? Burning elves and using their race as a insult-Definetly a dwarf!>
<dying's half the fun, and all the FUN!>-Grombardrim

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: November 07, 2014, 12:41:11 am »

I can replicate the problems with either version of the plugin, so it's not your changes.

well tried on the PyLNP start up for the partial mouse control, that didnt work, the mousequery...just turned off any useage of the mouse...so not so sure whats causing the issue. maybe bug?
Yep, it's a bug (and a pretty bad one!)
 Donations here.

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: November 07, 2014, 03:07:48 pm »

I install phoebus and see it when I launch the game but then it switches to the non phoebus tileset for some reason what is going on here

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: November 07, 2014, 03:13:28 pm »

The Starter Pack really needs a one-time pop up window explaining the features, including a one-sentence explanation of TWBT.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: November 07, 2014, 03:17:19 pm »

I can replicate the problems with either version of the plugin, so it's not your changes.
Really? Does this happen without TwbT as well? What about a vanilla installation with DFHack?
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: November 07, 2014, 06:08:17 pm »

Really? Does this happen without TwbT as well? What about a vanilla installation with DFHack?

OK, I've now tested a couple of combinations.  The base is a fresh install of DF and DFHack, no configuration at all except changing [PRINT_MODE:TWBT] and adding /data/art/shadows.png

- Base: everything works as expected. 
 - Add TwbT plugin only:  mousequery still fine
 - Add TwbT-mousequery:  mousequery now shows odd behaviour
 - TwbT-mousequery in an otherwise vanilla install still shows the odd behaviour
 - Installing TwbT and associated plugins *except* the alternate mousequery doesn't show the bug

On this basis I'm just going to go back to the vanilla mousequery plugin and hope the whole thing blows over.
 Donations here.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #1663 on: November 07, 2014, 11:57:18 pm »

It seems I forgot to do 'git submodule update', what a shame! 5.30 should be fine now.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 40_14 Starter Pack r2
« Reply #1664 on: November 08, 2014, 07:49:26 am »

The Starter Pack has updated to 40_14 r2!  As usual, you can get it here.

Just some quick bugfixes here - the custom multi-level compatible mousequrey plugin now works as intended; new worlds will have stepladders as intended; and "exportlegends all" in legends mode will export everything, including all site maps.  Grab it if any of these issues have been bothering you, otherwise carry on.  Either way - strike the earth!

Changelog:
 - updated TwbT to v5.30; fixes mousequery issues
 - updated graphics correctly; adds stepladders to newly generated worlds
 - added upgraded exportlegends script

MD5:  9C012752CADE584DB761C3DC83534BDC
 Donations here.
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 385