Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 385

Author Topic: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack  (Read 4113724 times)

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
Re: Expanded LNP - a single download with everything (r39)
« Reply #180 on: October 14, 2013, 09:56:27 pm »

I just posted a bit about the included utilities on Reddit, and I thought I might as well repost it here.  It's a response to this list.

Alright, a big post about utilities...  they generally fall into one of two categories:  they're either tools which run alongside DF and help you play in some way, or companion programs which you might fire up separately to (eg) look at the legends exports.  For this post I'll ignore stuff like Falconne's UI plugins for dfhack - which work automatically - and just stick to the programs that show in the LNP utilities list.  Note that there is a list of all of these - with links - at the start of this thread

Companion programs: 

* Chromafort:  turns images into Quickfort blueprints.  Buggy, but occasionally very useful.

* DF Story Maker:  Parses the gamelog, and creates a new file which can have specific types of announcements filtered out.  Useful if you want to write up a story about your fort, but can't dig through the job cancellations and mineral strikes. 

* PerfectWorld DF:  advanced world generation on steroids.  You can paint terrain, biomes, place stuff; it's insanely powerful but if you don't know what you're doing it may not work.  Outputs a world gen template which you then use in DF, extreme worlds may be rejected. 

* Fortress Overseer:  the only truly 3D visualiser for DF.  While playing, use the dfhack command "mapexport filename" to export 'filename.dfmap'; this can then be opened in Overseer which will render a mesh from it.  You can fly around, or (iirc) export the mesh to use somewhere else - I've only ever looked at stuff.  Here's some examples.

* Legends Viewer:  what legends mode would like to be when it grows up.  You import legends exports (which can be processed in certain ways), and then get a searchable, filterable, hyperlinked, mapped, graphed wiki-style display of lots of information.  This can uncover some incredible stuff, and I can't recommend it highly enough. 

* __Process Legends Exports:  is not actually listed here (it's a batch file), but bears mentioning.  It takes the various files you can export from legends mode, compresses the bitmaps to .png images, fixes an issue with the legends for legends viewer (if you've had a fort, it may crash the viewer otherwise), creates a compressed folder for Legends Viewer, and moves everything to a 'region#' folder in User Generated Content.  You can either double-click on the batch file (in the DF folder) or with the LNP type "processlegends" in dfhack to call it. 

* Isoworld:  an isometric world map viewer.  You export the detailed maps from legends mode, and then open them from this - there are a number of different modes for various maps, a pictographic mode that maps finding waterfalls very easy, and it can also link to dfhack to load a *very* detailed view of the loaded area.  This is most useful in adventure mode.  The super-detailed images are also saved, so you can see them later without DF open.  pics 2,3,4 are all from Isoworld

Then there are tools to use while playing. 

* Dwarf Therapist:  the most powerful labor and all-round dwarf manager there is.  Instead of more info (see [here]() for that), alternatives:  dfhack adds a grid view for labor assignment (u,l) to the units list, or magic the whole issue away with `autolabor 1`.  Neither of these can give you information like DT does. 

* DFMon:  a tool for real-time announcement filtering, which includes an overlay for the ticker at the bottom of the screen.  Requires some fiddling to get set up, and if you just want to be rid of job cancellation announcements you can turn those off from the (o)rders menu with 'x'.  DFMon has amazingly powerful filters though and is *very* customisable. 

* dfterm3:  multiplayer.  Several people can share a common fort over an internet connection; only the host needs to have dfterm (the rest need a newish browser, probably Chrome or Firefox).  See this discussion from a few days ago for details. 

* Soundsense:  adds contextually appropriate sounds to the game.  It parses the gamelog, and adds a bunch of other logging through dfhack, in order to eg. play combat sounds when someone's fighting, seasonal music, etc. Very very customisable, but I've never bothered.  This is notable as it actually works best to start it with the game - while it does work if started later, it won't play season music until a season changes (which may be a long time) unless it's running when the map is loaded. 

* Quickfort:  a designation tool.  You can lay out designs to designate, build, query, or place stockpiles in excel - or anything else that can work with .csv files - and then this will handle the designations for you.  Capable of anything from a faster staircase to the Mines of Moria.  This is an excellent tutorial for Quickfort

And that's it, for this post...
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Eratosthenes

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 16, 2013, 09:00:37 am »

Hi there,
I decided to try this pack, which seems very convenient for starters. However, if I understand well, and although it compiles everything needed, it still needs the 32-bit libraries installed (why?). This means I have to allow arch32, which I will avoid. My system is pure 64-bit, and I want it to stay that way.
Lots of 64-bit libraries are already installed in my system, including the ones required for DF and this pack, and many others. Personally, I refuse to install a big amount of otherwise useless 32-bit libraries (~200 Mb, including all their dependencies.) That is actually the reason I didn't play DF for quite some time now (it works on my 32-bit netbook but it's slow.) With 64-bit technology being around for more than 15 years now, and in an era even cheap laptops come with 64-bit multi-core processors, I don't see why many applications are still released in 32-bit only, forcing 64-bit users to install a 32-bit development. Yes, 200 Mb for 32-bit useless stuff is not much for today's hard disks, but I still refuse to install them just to be able to run an application, whatever that application is.

Some time ago, I was able to run vanilla DF that way; i had to manually download some 32-bit libraries and put them in DF's directory, essentially making DF a "static" build. This was still a unacceptable trick, but at least I didn't have to actually install those libraries in the system. However, even that trick doesn't work anymore. The last time I tried, I realized it needed way more 32-bit libraries than before and gave up. I saw this pack actually compiles everything so decided to give it a try, but stopped when I read it still needs a 32-bit development platform.

Is there any way to install this pack using the native 64-bit libraries installed in my system?

My system: Linux debian 3.10-3-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.10.11-1 (2013-09-10) x86_64 GNU/Linux
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 09:19:31 am by Eratosthenes »

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 16, 2013, 09:56:32 am »

/snip
My system: Linux debian 3.10-3-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.10.11-1 (2013-09-10) x86_64 GNU/Linux
You may have more luck asking that in the linux thread.

cupid stunt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 18, 2013, 02:16:26 pm »

I don't want to make my own thread, but this is just an enormous thank you to both the Adams' and the people responsible for the expanded LNP.

I'm still very early in my DF experience, but being able to start out with a tileset and the therapist has made entry into this amazing game possible for someone like me. I knew about this game, but the learning curve in ASCII for me was too much of a challenge (that is in no way intended as a slight, just a reflection of my comfort level).

This is a unique experience that I am loving like nothing else I can remember experiencing in videogaming and everyone involved in helping it happen for me deserves my honest and sincere gratitude (gimme the weekend with it to figure out what I can afford to do from a cash angle, since I'm aware gratitude isn't a tradeable commodity in DF nor the real world).

You're all fucking amazing.

Dragoon209

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 21, 2013, 02:47:56 pm »

Hello!

I've noticed that the Macro time keeps getting reset in Dwarf Fortress' init file each time I play.  I noticed it first when I was using Quickfort, which has a built in check to ensure it's set to 0.  I had assumed it was failing to save the change to 0.  However, I followed up with changing the file myself, saving it, reopening the file to confirm the change, and then starting Dwarf Fortress again.  Each time its set back to the default of 15ms. 

Can this be changed?  I enjoy using the Lazy Newb Launcher to have it launch all the utilities for me, but the Macro time getting reset is driving me nuts. 

Thanks for the great pack!  Its otherwise fantastic!
Check out my mini-mods:
Upgradable Leather Tiers
Block Crafting Workshop

Have you played Webfort yet?  It's a way to play Dwarf Fortress in a web browser with your friends!  Come check it out at:
Community Web Fortress

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 21, 2013, 03:01:54 pm »

I've noticed that the Macro time keeps getting reset in Dwarf Fortress' init file each time I play.  I noticed it first when I was using Quickfort, which has a built in check to ensure it's set to 0.  I had assumed it was failing to save the change to 0.  However, I followed up with changing the file myself, saving it, reopening the file to confirm the change, and then starting Dwarf Fortress again.  Each time its set back to the default of 15ms. 
Can this be changed?  I enjoy using the Lazy Newb Launcher to have it launch all the utilities for me, but the Macro time getting reset is driving me nuts. 

Hmmm. I guess it's the lnp launcher interfering with the macro setting: it does not see a 3rd party application (quickfort) editing the init file, so when it exits it saves the settings as they were initially. You should be able to sidestep this issue by closing the lnp launcher, and starting quickfort. (Or changing the macro_ms setting in the init manually.)
Once the macro setting is updated you can launch lnp, and it should never go back to the default 15ms. (unless you decide to install a different tileset, in which case all settings reset...)

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 21, 2013, 04:34:59 pm »

Hmmm. I guess it's the lnp launcher interfering with the macro setting: it does not see a 3rd party application (quickfort) editing the init file, so when it exits it saves the settings as they were initially. You should be able to sidestep this issue by closing the lnp launcher, and starting quickfort. (Or changing the macro_ms setting in the init manually.)
Once the macro setting is updated you can launch lnp, and it should never go back to the default 15ms. (unless you decide to install a different tileset, in which case all settings reset...)

I can confirm that this works - it had been bugging me too.  I used the LNP launcher to open the init folder, quit the launcher, then modified init.txt and the edit worked perfectly.  I'll change this in the various graphics packs for the next version, which will hide the issue, and also post about it on the launcher thread. 
 Donations here.

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 21, 2013, 10:13:51 pm »

You may wish to update the DT manual packaged into the install, as it's been updated. I'm working on further revisions with Splinterz atm, and it'll probably be packaged in in the future.
ヽ(´ー`)┌[>゜))))彡]   Dwarf Therapist User Guide

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
Re: Expanded LNP - a single download with everything (r40)
« Reply #188 on: October 21, 2013, 10:44:49 pm »

As it happens, r40 is now up with this update.  It's mostly little fixes, but worth doing. 

Changelog: 
r40
 - updated to a newer version of the Dwarf Therapist manual
 - fixed nested folder for DFMon (didn't start)
 - changed default MACRO_MS to 0 miliseconds, which is better for Quickfort, on all graphics packs.  If you change init settings manually while the LNP is open, it resets the changes on closing, which this should work around for Quickfort. 
 - added "repeat.lua" - set scripts to be re-run on a regular basis, eg a siege every two months with "repeat enable 2 months force siege EVIL"
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 11:01:31 pm by PeridexisErrant »
 Donations here.

Edir

• Escaped Lunatic
  • The Larch
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 24, 2013, 04:38:57 pm »

Hey, i'm having a little problem, maybe this is a FAQ but i didn't read about it.
So i download the latest release, unzip it and then i run it. I configure everything as i want, i press Ctrl+S and i have a little play. After a while, i quit, and when i execute the launcher again, i see all of my settings weren't saved, it is all set by default and i have to set everything again, wich is a pain in the arse.

I hope that someone can help, sorry if my english is bad, it's not my main language.

Cheers!

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 24, 2013, 06:13:50 pm »

Not particularly - I only discovered the problem a few days ago. The launcher has a bug where it reverts your edits when it closes, so use it to open the file, close the launcher, and then make your edits.
 Donations here.

Edir

• Escaped Lunatic
  • The Larch
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 25, 2013, 04:36:28 pm »

Not particularly - I only discovered the problem a few days ago. The launcher has a bug where it reverts your edits when it closes, so use it to open the file, close the launcher, and then make your edits.

Oh, okay. I hope it's fixed for the next release.
Keep it up! You're awesome.

Captiv8

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 03, 2013, 12:49:14 am »

I noticed when trying to load a custom keybind it will not appear when using the jar executable but it is there when using the "old" exe.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 03, 2013, 02:00:04 am »

That's probably the resetting bug outlined above, I'm hoping it will get fixed soonish. Until then, closing the jar GUI before editing should work around the issue.
 Donations here.

JonathanHolt75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 03, 2013, 02:38:06 pm »

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Error launching program.
   at nl.dricus.df.util.StartProcessUtil.executeCommandLine(StartProcessUtil.java:106)
   at nl.dricus.df.util.StartProcessUtilWindows.startProcess(StartProcessUtilWindows.java:36)
   at nl.dricus.df.state.LNP.startUtility(LNP.java:253)
   at nl.dricus.df.action.PlayAction.autostartUtilities(PlayAction.java:60)
   at nl.dricus.df.action.PlayAction.actionPerformed(PlayAction.java:52)
   at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
   at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
   at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
   at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Unknown Source)
   at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(Unknown Source)
   at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI.doClick(Unknown Source)
   at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI$Handler.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
   at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventQueue.access$200(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
   at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
   at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: C:\Users\Jonathan\Desktop\PeridexisErrant LNP r40\LNP\utilities\soundSense r42 doesn't exist.
   at org.apache.commons.exec.DefaultExecutor.execute(DefaultExecutor.java:181)
   at org.apache.commons.exec.DefaultExecutor.execute(DefaultExecutor.java:170)
   at nl.dricus.df.util.StartProcessUtil.executeCommandLine(StartProcessUtil.java:90)
   ... 42 more

It was stone sense i turned it off and it works just fine
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 02:45:35 pm by JonathanHolt75 »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 385