Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 385

Author Topic: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack  (Read 4107463 times)

Ironlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 40_24 Starter Pack r6
« Reply #2430 on: March 01, 2015, 01:47:36 pm »

Can you, or anyone else having this problem, try to reproduce running source with this version?  I think that should fix it...

This is why I hate windows 8.  After Replicating the bug running from source, I checked the log output and figured it out.  Apparently it does not like having the "Windows explorer" open to that directory, and will prevent programs from accessing it completely...though windows had no trouble letting the program create the directory in /temp, and delete /raw, it wouldn't let it copy the files; running from source I got an "access denied" error.  For some insane reason it could delete the whole directory, but not copy any files to it.   Microsoft D:< .     

Since this hadn't been a problem with previous versions of the LNP (having the explorer window open to that directory), I really didn't think it would be a problem this time, so I didn't even think about it. 

FYI though, the previous version (R5), is still broken; so looks like there was a bug there, and you did fix that problem.   
Other monsters crowded around me, continually attacking.  I treated them politely, offering the edge of my razor-sharp sword; but the feast, I think, did not please them.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: March 01, 2015, 05:13:21 pm »

1) I can't update any saves after I copied data from r5. I've had this problem since r5. Now I have to copy graphic pack from LNP folder manually.

2) Sometimes it just deletes my art folder and complains about missing important files. Again, I need to copy them back manually.
1) There are two possible reasons for this:  either you're having problems because the mods conditions are stricter now, or because I forgot to add an exception for saves which don't have the raw-merge-logs.  Fixing the latter bug now  :-[

2) Arrgh.  There are two things that could have happened here:  either the install aborted due to incompatible mods being installed, or a generic error was caught during the install.  I'll distinguish between those cases in the next version.  In any case it sounds like the latter - an error copying the art across. 

Can you, or anyone else having this problem, try to reproduce running source with this version?  I think that should fix it...
This is why I hate windows 8.  <snip> This hadn't been a problem with previous versions of the LNP (having the explorer window open to that directory), I really didn't think it would be a problem this time, so I didn't even think about it. 

FYI though, the previous version (R5), is still broken; so looks like there was a bug there, and you did fix that problem.   

Summary:  file explorer has some really bizarre and inconsistent behaviour, but it looks like my patch actually did fix the main problem? 
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: March 01, 2015, 07:04:37 pm »

I see. Maybe I had one or two edited raws.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: March 01, 2015, 11:40:51 pm »

Odd issue I just ran into, made whole new world, new fortress.

When issuing jobs via dwarf therapist, I tick jobs to turn off, and then they just auto-magically turn on, on other dwarves.

Like turning off all woodcutting for "Sirbob" then when I commit that change, "SirSilly" suddenly picks up those jobs.

wtf ?
(I'm guessing I did something, how do I fix it? :))

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: March 01, 2015, 11:43:26 pm »

Could you come up with a method to transfer settings between versions? (d_init.txt and init.txt)

Best way is to copy both into the same directory (d_init.old and init.old from the old install) then use some sort of visual diff editor to compare the two.

(I use TortoiseSVN's diff tool.  But then I also version control the entire DF directory.)

Arhimandrit

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: March 02, 2015, 06:10:05 am »

Hey, PeridexisErrant! Is it possible to append Modest Accelerated Mash (the last version by fricy: https://github.com/fricy/Modest-Accelerated-Mash/releases) to the Starter Pack? That would be a very convenient thing for true lazy newbies and ancient PC users, I guess :)

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: March 02, 2015, 06:40:28 am »

Hey, PeridexisErrant! Is it possible to add Modest Accelerated Mash to the Starter Pack? That would be a very convenient thing for true lazy newbies and ancient PC users, I guess :)

I don't want to distribute a modded version of DF by default, due to compatibility issues, but I'm working hard to make including optional mods possible. The launcher now has an awesome mods tab (like for graphics), so you can experiment with mods yourself today by adding them to LNP/Mods/. It's a soft release - I include the latest capability but no content, because there's no guarantee of compatibility into the future yet (so use at your own risk if upgrading).

Once we work out how to handle some remaining weird interactions and squash the last bugs, I'll be including a few optional mods - including this one. It's a slowish process though, because I want to be sure that it won't let you break saves by accident - without being more restrictive than necessary. For example, letting you change the graphics pack on a model save has never been done before! It's harder than it sounds, but I'm confident we've got that and a lot of other stuff working now - and more to come.
 Donations here.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: March 02, 2015, 01:26:22 pm »

Since I downloaded v6 (previously v4) I notice that DF is exponentially more crashy than it was on the previous pack.  Is this something others have noticed, or is it some personal weirdness with my machine?  Nothing else has changed, but it used to be rock solid stable and now about once a season it seems to barf.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: March 02, 2015, 03:41:00 pm »

Since I downloaded v6 (previously v4) I notice that DF is exponentially more crashy than it was on the previous pack.  Is this something others have noticed, or is it some personal weirdness with my machine?  Nothing else has changed, but it used to be rock solid stable and now about once a season it seems to barf.

40.24 is known to crash if you build constructions directly adjacent to trees or leaves - are you building differently?
 Donations here.

Ertaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: March 02, 2015, 04:06:01 pm »

I noticed crash while I was setting a refuse stock :-( It never happened before.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 40_24 Starter Pack r7
« Reply #2440 on: March 02, 2015, 11:41:53 pm »

The Starter Pack has updated to 40_24 r7!  As usual, you can get it here.

Small release with bugfixes - but if changing graphics deleted the raws, you'll want to upgrade.  Strike the Earth!

Changelog:
 - fixed Announcement Filter configuration
 - updated PyLNP / launcher to 0.9.5; misc improvements and:
 - PyLNP:  fixed rare graphics update bugs
 - PyLNP:  made merging and installing mods much safer
 - PyLNP:  updating graphics on saves is way faster
 - updated donation links; I now have a Patreon for ongoing support!

MD5:  A8E24133AB032CA9CCA12CB8BF63DDBA
 Donations here.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: March 03, 2015, 12:17:00 am »

The Starter Pack has updated to 40_24 r7!
Thank you your awesome and never ending work on this package of DF goodness!
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

pondicherry

• Bay Watcher
  • Too lazy to write something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: March 03, 2015, 09:35:24 am »

100 000 times thank you.
"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then Stop."

Spacebat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: March 04, 2015, 07:34:06 pm »

What's this about mod merging?

EDIT: OH. You need to have a mod in the /LNP/Mods folder to see it. I was not aware this existed, I thought the mod tab idea was abandoned.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 07:38:00 pm by Spacebat »

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: March 04, 2015, 09:22:28 pm »

What's this about mod merging?

EDIT: OH. You need to have a mod in the /LNP/Mods folder to see it. I was not aware this existed, I thought the mod tab idea was abandoned.
Nope  ;D

I did decide after a bit of experimentation in 40.19 that the mods tab wasn't quite ready to guarantee forward-compatibility for saves under raw manipulation, so I stopped distributing the pack with mods.  I'm still working on it though - see here for example - and it's getting more flexible and powerful as well as more stable over time.  You can add your own mods today - or if you prefer to wait, it's unlikely to be more than a few months before I'm including mods in the basic pack!
 Donations here.
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 385