Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 385

Author Topic: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack  (Read 4109952 times)

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 40_24 Starter Pack r7
« Reply #2460 on: March 23, 2015, 03:26:26 am »

Hey guys, just wanted to say i love the pack, although i dont know if its the pack or if im just unlucky with my copy of dwarf fortress again. but every so often i get a hitch in the game where everything just stutters and then speeds up to cover up the hitch (FPS goes above the cap and everything moves super fast for a second)

any tips on fixing it?

sdp0et

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: March 23, 2015, 10:00:02 am »

I couldn't find a reference to this searching the thread, but I haven't read the entire thread either.

This has been true for me for the last several versions of the pack:

There is a file in "Dwarf Fortress 40_24 Starter Pack rX\LNP\Colors" named " Current graphics pack.txt".  The space at the front of the name is not a mistake, it's actually this way when I unzip the archive. This is an issue for me because I keep my DF installs in a OneDrive folder which does not like spaces at the beginning of file names.  I rename the file (twice because Windows considers "Blah" and " Blah" to be the same file) and Onedrive is satisfied.

If I change the graphics pack, instead of editing "Current graphics pack.txt" the launcher creates " Current graphics pack.txt(2)".  Onedrive notifies me that a file has a name it hates, and I delete the old and rename the new.

I haven't done any !science!, but I feel like I get fewer crashes without the space.  It's probably superstition, but I thought I'd share since people seem to have trouble sometimes with graphics in the pack.  Maybe most things don't care about the space, but maybe something in the mix does.

edit: fat-finger mispost before I was finished
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 10:07:22 am by sdp0et »
sdp0et has been stressed lately. He was been accosted by work recently. He has been annoyed by coworkers. He admired a wonderful bed today. He admired a wonderful woman today.  He needs Coca-Cola to get through the working day.

mndfreeze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: March 23, 2015, 12:35:52 pm »

whitespaces are notoriously bad just in general when it comes to computer software it seems.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: March 23, 2015, 03:47:10 pm »

I haven't done any !science!, but I feel like I get fewer crashes without the space.  It's probably superstition, but I thought I'd share since people seem to have trouble sometimes with graphics in the pack.  Maybe most things don't care about the space, but maybe something in the mix does.
I can guarantee you that there's 100% no connection between that file and the crashes. It's a 'placeholder' file used by the launcher, DF never sees it at all.
The space is probably a coding typo, or maybe a lifehack to ensure that it's the file at the top. Not sure...

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: March 23, 2015, 06:07:51 pm »

I can guarantee you that there's 100% no connection between that file and the crashes. It's a 'placeholder' file used by the launcher, DF never sees it at all.
The space is probably a coding typo, or maybe a lifehack to ensure that it's the file at the top. Not sure...

The latter; it ensures we can keep track of the current colors if you preview something else, and a leading space was the best way to keep it at the top of the list.  But it looks like that wasn't great either - I'll coe up with something else.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: March 28, 2015, 09:49:50 pm »

Bumping this thread for the newbies to see. Should be stickied

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: March 28, 2015, 09:55:09 pm »

Bumping this thread for the newbies to see. Should be stickied
That's not really necessary, not to mention the fact that this is not the only active pack thread - there are two others in this board. I'm not sure if SMF limits the number of stickied threads in a subforum, but six seems like it would take up a lot of space to me.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: March 29, 2015, 08:36:27 am »

Would it be possible to change the download location to Github, or something similar? You mentioned doing so in another thread, and its a good idea. Toady's monthly costs are bound to have increased since quietly taking over hosting for DFFD. The Starter Pack is presently responsible for a significant portion of DFFD's bandwidth.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: March 29, 2015, 10:01:08 am »

Beautato hosts his pack on his own site (lazynewbpack.com), so he might be able to host the others as well. (It's also on GitHub, but the other packs would probably need their own repos due to being released separately.)
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

tyrannus007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: March 29, 2015, 11:43:08 pm »

Would it be possible to merge the exported legends_plus.xml with some of the other exported xmls, so that Legends Viewer can read all the extra data?
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: March 30, 2015, 12:23:58 am »

Would it be possible to merge the exported legends_plus.xml with some of the other exported xmls, so that Legends Viewer can read all the extra data?
In short, no - Legends Viewer can only read the fields it knows.  World Viewer reads both though, and it's an open format for future LV versions to incorporate.  In general it's best to keep native and DFHack exports in separate files.

Would it be possible to change the download location to Github, or something similar? You mentioned doing so in another thread, and its a good idea. Toady's monthly costs are bound to have increased since quietly taking over hosting for DFFD. The Starter Pack is presently responsible for a significant portion of DFFD's bandwidth.
I'll take another look at this, but here my current thinking:
1. I've only recently started to get close to the kind of regular income from DF that would make this affordable.  It's still less than $10/month.
2. It's probably better for both site maintainers (Toady?) and users to have everything in one place.  Any specific-file-hosting could be by redirecting the particular link, as I proposed in that thread (I guess).
3. I'm really not a high-volume web expert.  At all.
 Donations here.

vomov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: March 30, 2015, 05:35:46 am »

I was a bit bored this morning, and made a small script that makes pixel-circles using the midpoint algorithm. Then I wrote a small loop, that makes quickfort-compatible csv, and let it make thin and thick circles using dig, dig channel, build walls (with and without floors). Can I share this here?

http://www.filedropper.com/circles_1

athenalras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: March 31, 2015, 08:05:43 pm »

So why does the launcher suddenly delete the entire DF directory when I execute it under administrator? Please fix this. I almost lost all my personal mods due to this error.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 40_24 Starter Pack r8
« Reply #2473 on: March 31, 2015, 08:07:55 pm »

The Starter Pack has updated to 40_24 r8!  As usual, you can get it here.

(Not an April Fools joke)

For those who love text, this is exciting - there's a new utility to patch the Truetype bug, and view-item-info script adds info and custom descriptions to item viewscreens.  If you have a description you'd like to see, leave it in this thread or send me a message.

For the rest (and why are yu playing DF???) this is basically a maintenance update, bringing more stability and back-end features than new toys.  DFHack has a number of important new features for modders, which also makes the PyLNP mods tab more powerful.  A number of tools are also more stable now. 

Changelog:
 - updated PyLNP launcher to 0.9.5a
 - added DF Text Fixer 0.1; constantly refreshes DF to patch missing truetype text
 - updated DFHack to 40.24 r3
 - updated TwbT to v5.44
 - updated Lethosor's scripts
 - added raw-lint.lua; DFHack script to check your raws are good
 - added view-item-info.lua; DFHack script that adds item info and descriptions

MD5:  D9597FE96A88CC43DDBA199B3E2D8330
 Donations here.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 40_24 Starter Pack r8
« Reply #2474 on: March 31, 2015, 08:09:13 pm »

So why does the launcher suddenly delete the entire DF directory when I execute it under administrator? Please fix this. I almost lost all my personal mods due to this error.

I have no idea, but it shouldn't do this (obviously).  If the bug persists under the new version, please let me know.  Meanwhile maybe don't execute it as admin?
 Donations here.
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 385