Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 385

Author Topic: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack  (Read 4112214 times)

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 40_24 Starter Pack r12
« Reply #2625 on: May 19, 2015, 04:37:52 pm »

Is autohauler enabled?
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: May 19, 2015, 04:55:36 pm »

Is autohauler enabled?
yes infact it seems it was for some random reason. I never turned it on and LNP doesnt mention that its turned on, and DFhack wasn't saying it was on during load... but it was on.
Well thats that fixed, ty

Ertaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: May 23, 2015, 12:38:08 am »

Guys, what do you think, will the new release (guest, visitors, etc) compatible with the current one? Is it worth to start a new fort, or better to wait?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: May 23, 2015, 12:48:56 am »

Start a new one.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: May 23, 2015, 01:07:02 am »

Guys, what do you think, will the new release (guest, visitors, etc) compatible with the current one? Is it worth to start a new fort, or better to wait?

0.40.01 came out more than a year after the projected release date, so don't stop playing the current version from anticipation!  It probably won't be save-compatible (though there's a chance), but basically we'll just wait for the release and see.  Typically it's a few weeks for the Starter Pack to update fully too, so no stress there - I'll maintain parallel old/stable and new/unstable packs for a while.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Ertaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: May 23, 2015, 08:36:33 am »

Hey, thank you, i'am just going to strike the earth  :)

mavherick

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: May 27, 2015, 04:21:36 pm »

Using the latest starter pack (40_24 r12), I keep getting intermittent crashes, usually during the time the game saves, but not exclusively. The weird thing is it will run fine for a while, auto seasonal save and all. I tried with the LNP GUI opened or closed, didn't seem to affect things either way. This is what was in the latest stderr.txt

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm running on Win 8.1 x64, the game folder is right off the root of my drive. Anything obvious I missed?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: May 27, 2015, 04:22:45 pm »

LNP GUI shouldn't have anything to do with game crashes.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: May 27, 2015, 04:42:03 pm »

LNP GUI shouldn't have anything to do with game crashes.

It doesn't. That's a log from PyLNP when you click in some of the list boxes, and even then it doesn't crash or affect DF.

This is probably a TwbT issue - maybe try print mode 2D?
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

mavherick

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: May 27, 2015, 04:49:23 pm »

Will do, thanks for the quick reply and all the work you put into this.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: May 27, 2015, 06:28:14 pm »

To add to what was said above...

Toady has been working in a pattern for the past 9 years. 

Step 1: "I'm going to add a new feature this time.  May take a couple weeks."
Step 2: <couple weeks later> "Oh, hey, there's progress, but there were some problems that will take some extra time to work on."
Step 3: <couple months later> "Hey, guys, I stopped doing what I said I was doing because I'm working on some totally random side project!"
Step 4: <a year later> "Hey, anyone still checking these things?  Oh, well, I'm releasing a new version, now.  It doesn't have anything I said I was working on, but it has all that other random stuff, instead, so enjoy!"
(This is the point when everything is horribly buggy and broken again as it is a new version.)
Step 5: <2 hours after new release> "Oh, wow, it turns out my first version has a crash bug as soon as you perform any designations or chop wood, whoops! Hotfix tonight!"
Step 6: <1 day after newest version> "OK, so I'm going to fix some more of the obvious bugs then go to sleep."
Step 7: <8 hours after newest version> "Oh, wow, my bugfix caused more crash-on-launch bugs, whoops! New hotfix!"
Repeat steps 6 and 7 until the most blatant of bugs are fixed.
Step 8: Maybe add some features in a two-week timespan.
Step 9: Back to bugfixes once a week or so that increasingly grow more major.
Step 10: Decides to go back to adding a feature, at which point, go back to Step 1.

For what it's worth, this tavern and caravan arc stuff Toady's declared he's working on?  That's what he declared he was working on in 2010.  That's certainly not to say that worldgen cities or vampires or minecarts weren't great additions to the game (minecarts and wheelbarrows in particular solved one of the most critical problems in the game) but just that you shouldn't trust Toady's rough speculative guesses about when he'll be done with anything. 

So yeah, don't hold your breath.  This is the good time to start a new long-term fort, when all the bugs are known and have the best workarounds available, and you aren't likely to have giant save-breaking version shifts.  In fact, even if he were coming out with a new version tommorow, I'd suggest you keep playing the version we have now, because the new version is going to be a constant flurry of version updates (many of which save-break) that doesn't settle down for a couple months. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: May 27, 2015, 06:45:41 pm »

You may want to consider the fact that the previous major release (major meaning "has an entire section dedicated to it in the current dev page") took 3 weeks, and included auto-mining with it.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: May 27, 2015, 07:40:59 pm »

You may want to consider the fact that the previous major release (major meaning "has an entire section dedicated to it in the current dev page") took 3 weeks, and included auto-mining with it.

Yeah, that's Step 8, the handful of features added in a couple weeks.  Before that, he did the giant grab-bag of animals from the zoo fundraiser and minecarts in a brief update as well, if memory serves.  He tends to do a couple small things then some monumental thing that takes a year. 

I'm just saying not to plan around this being a quick update.  If updates have major interface changes and/or large procedural generation changes, (which taverns likely will,) then it tends to be far more likely to be the "take a year" variety.  The 40d to .31 jump was military/medical screen and caverns, for example.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: May 27, 2015, 08:23:10 pm »

Sadly, most of what Kohaku has said is pretty true. But I have a decent amount of hope that the great Wait for DF2014 will remind Toady of the dangers that comes with feature creep.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: May 27, 2015, 08:33:11 pm »

It's worth noting that Toady has a specific set of features that he is working on for the next release (which was also the case for the last somewhat-major release that Putnam mentioned):

We're going to try our best to do, when necessary, releases while we're actually working on one section. But at least we'll have that, that there's going to be some breaks, that there's not going to be another two-year release...

It's technically possible that we could get a Dwarf Fortress release by the end of the month, and I've written everything out on a theoretical daily schedule that would make it, but I suspect bugs, non-DF hassles and other issues will drag it out by a bit.  We're doing well though, in terms of not having another giant multi-year wait
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 385