Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 385

Author Topic: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack  (Read 4112765 times)

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 40_24 Starter Pack r14
« Reply #2760 on: July 23, 2015, 07:17:36 am »

I try to download and run the new pack as soon as I can to move that process along.  I trust PE, and I trust the DFFD repository to give me a checksum I can use to verify no malware was injected in transit.  That only leaves the threat of someone hacking the pack at rest on DFFD.  Hobestly, DFFD isn't a big enough target for malware.

But just in case, I don't do any banking on the two machines I use for DF :)

You can also check the SHA256 checksum against the second post in this thread, so they'd have to compromise the forums too (or Python, or me).  And you can do all that on multiple operating systems if you're really paranoid...
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

xxsputzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #2761 on: July 25, 2015, 02:20:37 am »

derp... wrong post.

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: July 26, 2015, 01:20:11 am »

Anyone know what can be done about the crashing? It crashes so often during saving that it's to the point I can't even play any more, lose too much time. Compressing save game or not doesn't seem to change anything.

I don't recall having saving crashes before. I've had the random gameplay crash here and there, but never as often as now. Sometimes it crashes on save on the last step (cleaning something or another) but still seems to successfully save. But when it crashes before that point during the saving process the save will still load but is essentially a rollback to my last successful save prior to that one. I lost about two hours of time last night with 4 crashes. Any suggestions on what to try?

So to recap:

Occasional crash during gameplay. Can be twice in 30 minutes, or one in two hours. I think it's mostly happened when I've viewing the surface.

Crash on save. Sometimes still saves successfully, other times it does not.

Tried on two different PCs and two different embarks

Disabled Workflow, Mouse Control, Automatic Job Assignments, Stonesense

Ironhand graphics set, and otherwise default settings other than population cap adjustments.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 10:04:21 am by BoogieMan »
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: July 27, 2015, 01:10:31 pm »

I'm also getting random crashes, but only while playing—not while saving. Nothing has shown up in sdterr, other than "Plugin twbt has failed to shutdown!"

I currently have aquifers toggled off and only Pure Bugfixes enabled, with print mode set to TWBT. I'm using the GemSet 24px tiles.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: July 27, 2015, 01:24:16 pm »

Do you have any constructions on/near trees?
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2765 on: July 27, 2015, 01:28:25 pm »

I don't think so? My only above-ground constructions might have been a tile or two below where a tree used to be, though.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: July 27, 2015, 01:32:42 pm »

I don't think so? My only above-ground constructions might have been a tile or two below where a tree used to be, though.
More to the point, do you have any constructions near/over saplings?  They go from sapling to full tree in a tick, triggering the tree-touching-a-construction bug which would prevent you from saving.  So you revert to the save and it's just an innocent-looking sapling again.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: July 27, 2015, 01:38:02 pm »

More to the point, do you have any constructions near/over saplings?  They go from sapling to full tree in a tick, triggering the tree-touching-a-construction bug which would prevent you from saving.  So you revert to the save and it's just an innocent-looking sapling again.
It doesn't prevent me from saving—it just crashes the game, instantly, without even a proper error message. The constructions are nowhere near any saplings, as well.

Edit: Actually, my trade depo is two tiles away from a couple of saplings. Still, it seems like a TWBT error.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 01:40:48 pm by Elephant Parade »

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: July 27, 2015, 01:41:54 pm »

Right - I think Dirst meant that the instant crash prevents you from saving the game.
Have you tried disabling TwbT, then? (You have to do this before launching the game, since TwbT won't allow itself to be disabled normally.)
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: July 27, 2015, 01:43:28 pm »

Right - I think Dirst meant that the instant crash prevents you from saving the game.
Have you tried disabling TwbT, then?
...Actually, I haven't. It would probably be best to check that TWBT is actually the thing causing the problem.

It generally takes a while to crash, unfortunately, but I'll try.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: July 27, 2015, 02:30:40 pm »

Yeah, what lethosor said.  Insta-crash means you can't save.

And two tiles away may be close enough to cause problems.  But for proper troubleshooting address one potential cause at a time.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

I haz no No Names

• Bay Watcher
  • *Former*BS12 Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: July 28, 2015, 02:36:59 am »

Yeah, what lethosor said.  Insta-crash means you can't save.

And two tiles away may be close enough to cause problems.  But for proper troubleshooting address one potential cause at a time.

I'm getting my crashes on new worlds with this:
 EXC_CRASH (SIGSEGV)
沉舟侧畔千帆过,病树前头万木春。
-A sunken ship has had over a thousand (many) sails go past it, a sick (dead) tree has thousands of trees blossoming in front of it.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: July 28, 2015, 11:32:46 am »

I've run a few more fortresses. I might have just gotten (un)lucky with crashes, but neither ASCII nor GemSet (the tileset that kept crashing) nor a different tileset with TWBT enabled crashed, which makes me think it was DFHack's quicksave breaking things.

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: July 28, 2015, 12:03:34 pm »

I've run a few more fortresses. I might have just gotten (un)lucky with crashes, but neither ASCII nor GemSet (the tileset that kept crashing) nor a different tileset with TWBT enabled crashed, which makes me think it was DFHack's quicksave breaking things.

Obviously different things cause different people crashes & corruption but I use quicksave constantly, never had a problem with it.

I have played many games and never had a corrupt save until recently (and it was a seasonal auto-save), but once was enough for me to set compress saves:no. Which many others have reported as an issue for ages.

I use TWBT, Phoebus graphics split with curses_sq24 font. Maybe make sure truetype and truetype fix are off (which shouldn't actually have any effect when using TWBT anyway but maybe causes conflicts?)

I was regularly having crashes with workflow enabled. Also mouse controls, which has always seemed problematic. Since I have disabled those 2 I haven't had a crash. I use pure bugfixes, performance tweaks. Manually disabled wheelbarrow & manager override since they don't seem to work anyway (you can set more than 3, but I haven't seen a SP get more...manager jobs still maxes at 30). Manually enable armory-fix and seedwatch. YMMV.
Quote from: Dirst
For example, if you wanted to check if a unit was eligible to be a politician or a car salesman, you'd first want to verify that there is no soul present...

Quote from: gchristopher
The more appropriate question becomes, are they awesome and dwarven enough.

RobBrown4PM

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: August 03, 2015, 06:52:51 pm »

Norton found a Trojan in the newb pack that I downloaded from http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622.

Discovered:
January 13, 2014
Updated:
January 13, 2014 9:19:06 AM
Type:
Trojan, Virus
Infection Length:
Varies
Systems Affected:
Windows 2000, Windows 7, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista, Windows XP
SONAR.Heuristic.120 is a heuristic detection for processes based on certain attributes.

Antivirus Protection Dates
Initial Rapid Release version October 2, 2014 revision 022
Latest Rapid Release version October 2, 2014 revision 022
Initial Daily Certified version January 7, 2014 revision 041
Latest Daily Certified version January 7, 2014 revision 041
Initial Weekly Certified release date January 15, 2014

----

File Actions

File: c:\lazy newb pack\dwarf fortress 40_24 starter pack r14\dwarf fortress 40_24 starter pack r14\ starter pack launcher (pylnp).exe Removed
File: c:\users\ken\appdata\local\temp\_mei23482\ microsoft.vc90.crt.manifest Removed
Directory: c:\users\ken\appdata\local\temp\ _mei23482 Removed

System Settings Actions

Event: Process start (Performed by c:\lazy newb pack\dwarf fortress 40_24 starter pack r14\dwarf fortress 40_24 starter pack r14\starter pack launcher (pylnp).exe, PID:2348) No action taken
Event: PE file creation: c:\users\ken\appdata\local\temp\_mei23482\ msvcr90.dll (Performed by c:\lazy newb pack\dwarf fortress 40_24 starter pack r14\dwarf fortress 40_24 starter pack r14\starter pack launcher (pylnp).exe, PID:2348) No action taken
Event: Process start: c:\lazy newb pack\dwarf fortress 40_24 starter pack r14\dwarf fortress 40_24 starter pack r14\ starter pack launcher (pylnp).exe, PID:2348 (Performed by c:\lazy newb pack\dwarf fortress 40_24 starter pack r14\dwarf fortress 40_24 starter pack r14\starter pack launcher (pylnp).exe, PID:2348) No action taken

Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 385