Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 251 252 [253] 254 255 ... 385

Author Topic: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack  (Read 4098548 times)

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack
« Reply #3780 on: July 22, 2016, 01:32:22 am »

Sorry if this is a known issue; I did spend some time googling for it.

I decided to dink around with DF after a hiatus, so I downloaded the latest Starter Pack for Windows (10). I extracted it, ported some old clothing mods I liked to \raw\objects\, tweaked the inits, changed the graphics through the UI because I hate tilesets, and launched DF. As soon as I tried to create a world, it crashed, citing that it couldn't find \raw\objects\text\book_instruction.txt.

So I went looking for it, couldn't find it, scratched my head, and extracted the whole thing over the top without replacing existing files, figuring the first extraction must have failed. Launched DF, created a world, embarked, and looked around--but wait, my dwarves were in default clothes. Where was my mod? I went back into the raw folder and it was back to the default! How'd that happen? Plus the ASCII graphics weren't quite right.

Long story short, I puttered around for a while, then decided to delete the entire thing and start over. So I:
  • Deleted everything
  • Extracted the Starter Pack
  • Changed the graphics
  • Went to move my mods into \raw\objects
\df_42_04_win_s\raw\ was missing entirely.

Repeated the process. Changing the graphics from the LNP UI completely deleted the \raw\ folder.

I'm guessing that's not supposed to happen?

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3781 on: July 22, 2016, 02:39:25 am »

No, certainly not supposed to happen!

It may be related to this bug, the fix for which is not released.

Note though that changing graphics will reset the raws - unless you install a mod with PyLNP, it assumes your install is vanilla and just overwrites them.  But this only (maybe) explains the first round...
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 40_24 Starter Pack r5
« Reply #3782 on: July 22, 2016, 02:56:43 am »

Found this from last year:
I'm seeing a problem here, where attempting to install graphics will instead delete the raws folder.
I'm wondering if it's expecting a save structure to exist and tripping when it's not there?

Pidgeot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3783 on: July 22, 2016, 07:52:21 am »

Assuming it *is* that bug, it's more to do with how Windows handles files - this can cause weird error condition, which unfortunately break graphics like that.

I hope to get a new version out with a fix fairly soon, but I might be a week or two before I can finish everything up.

Until then, the best workaround is to not open the DF folder in Windows' file explorer. Waiting a minute or two may also help avoid it.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3784 on: July 22, 2016, 08:59:53 am »

Is explorer creating files in folders that you view or something? (I know Finder on OS X does that, which can cause issues sometimes.)
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Pidgeot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3785 on: July 22, 2016, 02:41:47 pm »

As best as I can tell, what happens is that Explorer will have a handle open to the folder (to generate thumbnails, or whatever), and there is some strange conflict between the Python library method used to perform these file operations (shutil.rmtree and shutil.copytree) which means that sometimes, rmtree will fail to delete the folder (presumably because Explorer still had a reference to it at that exact moment), or in other cases, it may fail to *recreate* the directory (because I guess Explorer had a handle open with that path already taken?).

I've implemented a workaround for these cases (trying more than once, which always seems to work). Mozilla is using the same basic approach in some of their code, so it would seem to be a general issue in how those methods work (at least in Python 2.7).

Sheila

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3786 on: July 22, 2016, 05:33:12 pm »

Soundsense plays all sounds multiple times whenever events happen, I can't tell if it's trying to play all different versions at the same time or it's just a random number. I didn't change anything, just extracted the soundpack to the new LNP.
Any way to fix this?

Snafu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3787 on: July 22, 2016, 07:07:28 pm »

SoundSense is currently borked WRT LNP: it plays duplicates over the top of each other

A fix /may/ be to deselect the LNP auto-startup of SS & start it manually; alternatively you could try deselecting (muting) music/FX IG, but I haven't tried either of these as yet so I've no idea as to whether they'll work.. :(

See also SoundSense suggestion & following messages (not too many atm)

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3788 on: July 22, 2016, 07:59:16 pm »

Gah!  Soundsense settings have been giving me a lot of trouble lately, as the dfhack scripts have been updated but Soundsense hasn't.  I'll keep trying to track it down I guess :(
 Donations here.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3789 on: July 23, 2016, 01:25:12 am »

Just to follow up, it does in fact seem to be that bug--I unpacked it fresh and changed the graphics with and without going into the \raw\ folder, and it only got deleted when I had opened it.

Oafsalot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3790 on: July 23, 2016, 04:49:50 pm »

I noticed that the popup that stop you opening two dwarf fortresses won't actually let you open a second and just loops over and over.
If you like this game why not head over to https://www.patreon.com/bay12games/posts and make a small contribution?!

sparkybear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3791 on: July 24, 2016, 12:38:50 am »

Was the option to merge content from a previous starter pack disabled?

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3792 on: July 24, 2016, 01:09:57 am »

Was the option to merge content from a previous starter pack disabled?

Broken by various updates; I'm working on a replacement which will be built into PyLNP instead.
 Donations here.

Taetrius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3793 on: July 26, 2016, 06:14:28 am »

SoundSense is currently borked WRT LNP: it plays duplicates over the top of each other

The issue can be solved by modifying Soundsense configuration file : in current version it calls gamelog.txt twice, as principal and supplemental log :

<gamelog path="..\..\..\Dwarf Fortress 0.43.03\gamelog.txt" encoding="Cp850"/>
-<supplementalLogs>
<item path="..\..\..\Dwarf Fortress 0.43.03\gamelog.txt" encoding="Cp850"/>
</supplementalLogs>
, which seems to explain the duplicate sounds. In older versions the target for "supplemental log" was different :
<gamelog path="..\..\..\Dwarf Fortress 0.43.03\gamelog.txt" encoding="Cp850"/>
-<supplementalLogs>
<item path="${gameBaseDir}/ss_fix.log"/>
</supplementalLogs>

I just copy-pasted the relevant lines from an older starter pack and it worked just fine.
Any reason this was changed ?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 01:22:43 pm by Taetrius »

Snafu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3794 on: July 28, 2016, 08:16:27 am »

That change seems to work, although I've not tested it fully yet.. TVM!
Pages: 1 ... 251 252 [253] 254 255 ... 385