Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 385

Author Topic: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack  (Read 4114572 times)

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack
« Reply #3810 on: August 02, 2016, 12:03:37 am »

@ldog - the multilevel option is set in "dfhack_PeridexisErrant.init", FYI

Are you saying that is what's making prospect crash the game?
Quote from: Dirst
For example, if you wanted to check if a unit was eligible to be a politician or a car salesman, you'd first want to verify that there is no soul present...

Quote from: gchristopher
The more appropriate question becomes, are they awesome and dwarven enough.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3811 on: August 02, 2016, 12:32:45 am »

It might be. I've never heard of prospect making the game crash. It might be worth a shot to see if turning off multi-level view helps.

Could you please add a button in the next version to shut off for all these gfx overwrities? Its a lot of work to go through and ## each one and tileset gfx choice is part of the reason newb pack exists.

I've been wanting to make versions of all the graphics packs that are optimized to work without TWBT graphics overrides. Rydel was helping me with this earlier. This really requires a different set of raw/objects files. I think it is going to require an overrides version and overrides version of the graphics packs for now, but maybe in the future PyLNP will be able to load a different set of objects and init files depending on whether the overrides setting is "on" or "off".

The problem isn't so much the button, as knowing what to do when it's pressed - we have a wide variety of graphics packs by old and new authors, on all kinds of sites and even just the basic format is hard enough to manage at times.

@jecowa - if a format can be worked out *that works without PyLNP too*, I'm sure we can support it somehow.

Right now a graphics pack is laid out like this:
  • data
    • art
    • init
  • manifest.json
  • raws
    • graphics
    • objects

I was thinking of laying them out something like this:
  • data
    • art
    • init (TWBT Overrides)
    • init (Vanilla - no Overrides)
  • manifest.json
  • raws
    • graphics
    • objects (TWBT Overrides)
    • objects (Vanilla - no Overrides)

For manual installation, the user should see that there's a choice to be made while copying over the files and the descriptive folder names should help with the decision. Maybe there could be a readme.txt file too with installation instructions and an expanded explanation of the TWBT overrides choice.

For PyLNP installation, it should probably default to the TWBT version if DFHack is enabled and TWBT is installed, and use the non-TWBT version otherwise. When the user switches Print Mode and causes TWBT to be enabled or disabled, then the folders would get swapped out. And then maybe there could also be a button to switch to the non-TWBT versions even when TWBT is enabled.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 12:36:37 am by jecowa »

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3812 on: August 02, 2016, 03:16:44 am »

That would break the desirable property that copying graphics over a DF install correctly installs the graphics - we want them to be very simple to do manually or automatically.

An alternative approach (which I prefer) would be to add "twbt_data" and "raw/twbt_objects" folders, and copy them over the non-twbt pack if TwbT is enabled.  Regardless, any further discussion should happen in the DFgraphics thread, as it's not really about the Starter Pack.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3813 on: August 02, 2016, 09:22:59 am »

It might be. I've never heard of prospect making the game crash. It might be worth a shot to see if turning off multi-level view helps.

Oh, somehow I totally missed your earlier post, so I was wondering why PE passed on that tidbit.
No joy :(
The only other thing I can think of is I did change the graphics pack from defaults after I started playing, but I honestly don't remember if this save was from before or after. First time I've ever had an issue with prospect, but then I typically only run it around embark.
For example, if you wanted to check if a unit was eligible to be a politician or a car salesman, you'd first want to verify that there is no soul present...

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3814 on: August 02, 2016, 11:19:03 am »

Oh, somehow I totally missed your earlier post, so I was wondering why PE passed on that tidbit.
The only other thing I can think of is I did change the graphics pack from defaults after I started playing, but I honestly don't remember if this save was from before or after. First time I've ever had an issue with prospect, but then I typically only run it around embark.

What graphics pack did you switch to?

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3815 on: August 02, 2016, 12:11:56 pm »

What graphics pack did you switch to?

My usual; phoebus 16x16 for graphics, curses square 24x24 for text.

starscream

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3816 on: August 02, 2016, 10:05:42 pm »

To those mentioning the "python installer" issues - assuming you mean PyInstaller, that cannot possibly be the issue because Armok Vision is written in C#, and has nothing to do with Python at all.

i was talking about pylnp package.  some people have reported getting false positive maleware hits from pyinstaller packages.

but that wasn't it.  windows defender is reporting the maleware directly on armok vision executable.  kind of annoying that i have to disable it every time i run df.  and remember to activate it again several hours later.  lol.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3817 on: August 02, 2016, 10:33:44 pm »

To those mentioning the "python installer" issues - assuming you mean PyInstaller, that cannot possibly be the issue because Armok Vision is written in C#, and has nothing to do with Python at all.

i was talking about pylnp package.  some people have reported getting false positive maleware hits from pyinstaller packages.

but that wasn't it.  windows defender is reporting the maleware directly on armok vision executable.  kind of annoying that i have to disable it every time i run df.  and remember to activate it again several hours later.  lol.

I think it seems weird that it's showing that Armok Vision has a virus. Are you using 0.43.03 - r3 of the Starter Pack? I just scanned the Armok Vision included in the pack again, and I'm still not getting anything detected from Microsoft or any other virus scanner. https://www.metadefender.com/#!/results/file/b49b9c59a7384f9d92154a6eb7f2bab6/regular/analysis

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3818 on: August 02, 2016, 10:39:03 pm »

OK, 2 possibilities I can see:

1) You somehow got a hijacked download that includes malware (very possible especially if you don't block Javascript). Did you check the hashes of the file you downloaded?
2) Your antivirus has realized that Armok Vision is reading the memory of another program and is reporting this bad behavior, because typically only viruses do that.  I've had 'false positives' for DF utilities before for that reason.  It's a good check actually, but annoying for gamers who have programs they want to have interact with other programs in unauthorized ways.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3819 on: August 03, 2016, 12:27:49 am »

2) Your antivirus has realized that Armok Vision is reading the memory of another program and is reporting this bad behavior, because typically only viruses do that. 

Actually Armok Vision just reads data off a socket provided by the DFHack plugin "remotefortressreader", so there's nothing in AV that should be suspicious.  Checking the hash is a good habit (mostly for file corruption!), but I'd put this down to a false positive.
 Donations here.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3820 on: August 03, 2016, 04:36:16 am »

i changed it to "multilevel 0" and my game seldomly crashes.
as my game crashed quite a lot ever since i played DF, someone hinted me to change it.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3821 on: August 04, 2016, 05:00:37 pm »

2) Your antivirus has realized that Armok Vision is reading the memory of another program and is reporting this bad behavior, because typically only viruses do that. 

Actually Armok Vision just reads data off a socket provided by the DFHack plugin "remotefortressreader", so there's nothing in AV that should be suspicious.  Checking the hash is a good habit (mostly for file corruption!), but I'd put this down to a false positive.

Ah, OK.  Yeah, in that case I'm not sure what's tripping the false positive.  Perhaps that's become common enough architecture for trip AV flags?  I wonder what the AV is picking up on.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3822 on: August 04, 2016, 05:22:41 pm »

i changed it to "multilevel 0" and my game seldomly crashes.
as my game crashed quite a lot ever since i played DF, someone hinted me to change it.

Well I tried just commenting it out, loading up and running reveal and then prospect. And it went boom. It has been a bit crashy on me this version, save early, save often.
Haven't had a chance to poke at it anymore.

Kanista

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3823 on: August 07, 2016, 08:25:34 am »

Hello PeridexisErrant,
I'm a long-time thread-lurker and DF-player. I registered here just to ask you to add Lee's Colour Scheme v2 to the LNP:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Color_scheme#Lee.27s_Colour_Scheme_v2

I tried a lot of color-schemes and keep coming to this one because it's so nice to look at.

Cheers, going back to lurking now!

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3824 on: August 09, 2016, 06:28:25 am »

The Starter Pack has updated to 0.43.03-r04!
As usual, you can get it here.

This is an update full of small improvements and bugfixes, in both the launcher and my configuration of the pack.  Slower releases mean more time to track down and fix problems, as well as more time for bug reports to come in!  As usual, I'd love any feedback you might have.

And a happy 10th birthday to Dwarf Fortress - may we strike the earth together for another decade!

0.43.03-r04
 - updated default embark profiles (thanks /u/Gorny1)
 - fixed duplicate sounds in soundsense
 - improved Taffer's colorscheme (thanks Taffer)
 - now using latest PyLNP version (my own tooling error...)
 - new option in DFHack tab: 'Enhanced Gameplay' adds merchants, diplomats
 - TwbT multilevel now optional (DFHack tab) due to reported instability
 - more DFHack bugfixes run automatically
 - updated PyLNP: bugfixes, user content importer, etc

SHA256:  54c171236c49c90b904a1102e8c9a37d3c6bc92beb156477b465c3159bbb619b

If you want to say thanks, check out Toady's Patreon, or even mine!  ;D
 Donations here.
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 385