Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 385

Author Topic: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack  (Read 4112952 times)

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack
« Reply #3990 on: October 29, 2016, 03:12:51 am »

I'm more concerned with the problems that using v0.43.03 graphics packs with Dwarf Fortress v0.43.05 would cause. Most of the major graphics packs are compatible with a ver narrow range of versions of Dwarf Fortress and have to be updated nearly every time that Dwarf Fortress does. Using outdated graphics packs can cause series problems that may not be immediately noticeable.

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #3991 on: October 30, 2016, 01:15:00 pm »

I'm more concerned with the problems that using v0.43.03 graphics packs with Dwarf Fortress v0.43.05 would cause. Most of the major graphics packs are compatible with a ver narrow range of versions of Dwarf Fortress and have to be updated nearly every time that Dwarf Fortress does. Using outdated graphics packs can cause series problems that may not be immediately noticeable.

To explicate, this is because graphics packs interact closely with the raws, and the raws are very sensitive to version changes, and the game goes absolutely crazy / doesn't work at all with even small errors in the raws.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3992 on: November 01, 2016, 12:28:18 am »

Would i just be able to download the 43.05 version from vanilla and paste it into the extracted LNP Dwarf Fortress folder?
No. Some utilities will not work with 0.43.05.

Some utilities need an update to work. But I doubt all of them would. I'm curious to know which will work as-is. Shouldn't Sounsense or SoundCenSe work with 0.43.05? They work by reading the gamelog, after all.

Going by the changelog for 0.43.04 and the changelog for 0.43.05, it does not sound like a lot has changed. Though, don't a few utilities still rely on memory offsets?

I noticed that Quietust shared an INI file for Dwarf Therapist to make it work. And it seems PerfectWorldDF has an update for .05.

I'm more concerned with the problems that using v0.43.03 graphics packs with Dwarf Fortress v0.43.05 would cause.

I guess that's a complication of having a starter pack try to support a whopping 8 different graphics sets. However, several of the most popular graphics sets have updates for 0.43.05 now.

Most of the major graphics packs are compatible with a ver narrow range of versions of Dwarf Fortress and have to be updated nearly every time that Dwarf Fortress does.

There are some exceptions, though. This Mayday set worked for versions 0.42.01 through 0.43.03.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 08:40:54 am by Thundercraft »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3993 on: November 01, 2016, 05:58:59 am »

Most utilities don't need to be updated much if ever.

The only things I can think of that need to get updated when Dwarf Fortress updates:

• Dwarf Therapist
  • DFHack
  • Text Will Be Text
  • Stonesense
  • Multitouch support

Armok Vision should normally work if you have an updated DFZhack installed, but I think it might be having some problems with the 64-bit stuff.

I'm not sure about PerfectWorld. It wouldn't surprise me if you could use the previous version without much problem, though.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3994 on: November 01, 2016, 08:15:55 am »

As of now, Armok Vision mostly works with 64bit, other than an unfortunate DF crashing bug when you un-pause. I need to fix that.

Stonesense also works on 64bit windows now too, in DFHack indev.

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3995 on: November 01, 2016, 09:30:48 am »

I'm more concerned with the problems that using v0.43.03 graphics packs with Dwarf Fortress v0.43.05 would cause. Most of the major graphics packs are compatible with a ver narrow range of versions of Dwarf Fortress and have to be updated nearly every time that Dwarf Fortress does.

A good solution for this is BAMM! It lets you write graphics-only raws and patch them onto vanilla or modded raws. Very useful for quickly updating graphics sets without breaking anything.

It's also a good tool for organization. It lets you see all of the graphical changes at a glance and quickly make changes without hunting through the game's raws.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3996 on: November 01, 2016, 11:00:49 am »

I'm not sure about PerfectWorld. It wouldn't surprise me if you could use the previous version without much problem, though.
Certainly can. Heck, you can even use previous version outputs of it of it for relatively similar results (history will change for sure, though, what's with the changes in 43.05, but worlds will themselves gen.). PWDF just paints pre-set values onto worldgen parameters you specify, and last time worldgen got an additional parameter was when divine materials were added in DF2014, iirc.

(and I bet even for pre-2014 perfect world worldgens could just add that one line for roughly similar (regional map) results)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 11:04:35 am by Fleeting Frames »

Heretic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3997 on: November 05, 2016, 06:17:05 am »

As of now, Armok Vision mostly works with 64bit, other than an unfortunate DF crashing bug when you un-pause. I need to fix that.

Stonesense also works on 64bit windows now too, in DFHack indev.
Can i got binaries of this version of DFHack?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3998 on: November 05, 2016, 08:35:14 am »

There's already a dfhack r0 released.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3999 on: November 05, 2016, 10:33:53 am »

I don't think it has Stonesense, though.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Heretic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4000 on: November 05, 2016, 10:50:08 am »

I don't think it has Stonesense, though.
+1

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4001 on: November 05, 2016, 11:18:12 pm »

The utilities ecosystem is generally reliant on DFHack for most of the interesting things that can be done while DF is running.  IMO this is important enough for new players that I don't ship packs without stable DFHack anymore; the upside is that I'm usually ready soon after DFHack.
(for DFHack news and releases, follow it's thread - this is not the best place)

@DragonDePlatino - I have a longstanding desire to use BAMM or similar in PyLNP.  There's just a lot of practical work to do before I feel comfortable betting everyone's saves on a new system's reliability...
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #4002 on: November 05, 2016, 11:28:18 pm »

Both of my major obsessions, DF and Skyrim, are currently stymied by the same issue: the upgrade to 64 bit screwing up all the memory hooks.

Thank goodness this is only a problem that needs to be solved once.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

Aelius51

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4003 on: November 06, 2016, 01:08:34 am »

I want to add a TWBT tileset to Phoebus', but after putting the png file into \LNP\tilesets and attempting to re-enable Phoebus, I am presented with a warning dialogue saying that my graphics, raws, and settings will be changed.

What exactly will be changed? I need to know so that I can change it back.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4004 on: November 06, 2016, 02:35:31 am »

I want to add a TWBT tileset to Phoebus', but after putting the png file into \LNP\tilesets and attempting to re-enable Phoebus, I am presented with a warning dialogue saying that my graphics, raws, and settings will be changed.

What exactly will be changed? I need to know so that I can change it back.

The raws in LNP/Graphics/Phoebus will be installed; df/data/art will be rebuilt with the Phoebus and LNP/Tilesets files, and the graphics-related bits of your init files will be changed to match Phoebus.

If you're just adding a tileset, you can put it in df/data/art as well as LNP/Tilesets and you've done the update... though I generally recommend using PyLNP regardless - unless you're manually editing things it's safe and reliable.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 385