Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 291 292 [293] 294 295 ... 385

Author Topic: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack  (Read 4098387 times)

Salkryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Pining for the fnords.
    • View Profile
Re: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack
« Reply #4380 on: May 30, 2017, 06:43:14 am »

Hey, quick question: Is there anything in the pack settings that might be causing visitors to stop petitioning to stay past a certain number? I know there's a cap for maximum visitors you can set, but despite a huge number of visitors to my fort, for some reason they stopped petitioning at all. My outpost liaison has also stopped talking to my leader. I'm trying to find out if it's a bug with DF itself, or some weird interaction with the extensions before I try to bug report it.
It's a known vanilla DF bug. If someone is scheduled for a meeting with a manager and that manager ceases to perform the duty and is replaced (death or election), that meeting queue is stalled because the new office holder won't meet the those somehow scheduled to meet the old office holder. The structure where this data is stored has not been mapped by DFHack, as far as I know. The work arounds for the queue stalling are:
- Re-instate the previous mayor (if an election has replace the previous one).
- Kill all the individuals who would meet the old office holder (e.g. if the old one met with an unfortunate accident). There is no known way to identify which one(s) are stalling the queue, so it's a lot of guessing involved. In the case of petitioners you might use Legends Mode info to look at the petitioners to find out in which order they arrived at the fortress, though.

Does that really apply in this case? My mayor wasn't replaced by the dwarf that got the title, and even if he had, I don't think it would cause a backlog for two consecutive years. The outpost liaison (the first one) did ascend to king during his visit, and thus was no longer outpost liaison when he left the fort. If this is a known bug, then Toady will get to it when he gets to it, but if it's something new, I'd like to track down what specific combination of events caused the problem so it's easier to find what bit of the code has been angered by my transgressions.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4381 on: May 30, 2017, 07:06:20 am »

It could be the same problem but in reverse of how it was explained. Instead of your side being replace the other side switched out. So now there is a meeting with the liaison in the queue which will never be completed and you can't kill the king cause he is gone.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Salkryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Pining for the fnords.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4382 on: May 30, 2017, 05:41:59 pm »

It could be the same problem but in reverse of how it was explained. Instead of your side being replace the other side switched out. So now there is a meeting with the liaison in the queue which will never be completed and you can't kill the king cause he is gone.

Ew. Any way to fix that, short of regicide?

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4383 on: May 31, 2017, 12:16:26 am »

Given that it's not caused by pack-specific settings, please take this to a more general thread so we can stay on-topic here.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

argh226

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4384 on: May 31, 2017, 07:33:35 pm »

I'm not sure labormanager is ready to be the default job-assignment manager at this point.  I've just started using this latest Starter Pack and dwarves utterly refuse to haul anything that isn't food to stockpiles.  Disable labormanager and enable autolabor and *boom* everything gets done.
You need to be more specific; labormanager will schedule hauling jobs for nonfood items provided you haven't set your labor priorities such that hauling jobs are just too low in priority to ever get scheduled. If this happens, it's usually because you've overtasking your dwarves (e.g. asking seven dwarfs to do the work of 70).

I'm glad to entertain suggestions on how to improve labormanager, but I can't take action on such nonspecific complaints.

I should apologize as I did observe this issue as well and a little while ago.

As per the description was thinking it was kind of delayed for some reason...because it wasn't totally off, but rather extremely slow to get done.

However I can confirm that only good/best dwarf are assigned to a specific jobs, which in itself is pretty great. 

At times, I would turn of labormanager and turn on autolabor for a little while, the time to take up on the hauling then bring back labormanager.

CyberianK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4385 on: June 03, 2017, 07:15:47 am »

Picking DF up again after another 6 months.

Is 05 safely playable and stable or should I better stick with 03?
There were some issues with DFhack and crashes in 05 have they been fixed?

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4386 on: June 03, 2017, 09:12:01 am »

I always recommend the latest stable pack, which as of last week is on 43.05 :D
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4387 on: June 03, 2017, 09:17:10 am »

There were some issues with DFhack and crashes in 05 have they been fixed?
Can you be more specific about what issues/crashes you were seeing?
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

CyberianK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4388 on: June 03, 2017, 12:37:50 pm »

@lethosor
Just started a 05 game and it always crashes when the first caravan arrives.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4389 on: June 03, 2017, 03:03:06 pm »

What if you disable DFHack?

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

shachar2like

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4390 on: June 04, 2017, 01:42:46 pm »

I'm getting 3gb of memory uses, is this as planned or a memory leak?

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4391 on: June 04, 2017, 02:21:36 pm »

How big and old is your world? How long has DF been running?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4392 on: June 04, 2017, 04:20:07 pm »

And how large is your embark (assuming you're running fortress mode)? A 6*6 embark ran into the 2 GB limit with 0.40.X for me.

shachar2like

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4393 on: June 05, 2017, 12:42:38 pm »

And how large is your embark (assuming you're running fortress mode)? A 6*6 embark ran into the 2 GB limit with 0.40.X for me.
The world is 1050 years old, generated on the new version.
The embark is large (6x6 or more I don't recall)
but for a text game with minimal graphics I was expecting 10MB uses max...

I'm guessing that the game isn't optimized what so ever

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4394 on: June 05, 2017, 01:08:21 pm »

The world is 1050 years old, generated on the new version.
The embark is large (6x6 or more I don't recall)
but for a text game with minimal graphics I was expecting 10MB uses max...

I'm guessing that the game isn't optimized what so ever
There's absolutely no way DF can use 10 MB of memory, even with a small world (and your world is on the large end, both in terms of history and embark size). Graphics are far from the only thing DF simulates, and everything else requires more memory.

Assuming your embark is 100 z-levels tall (an approximation), you have around 8294400 tiles on your map (6x6x48x48x100). If each tile took one byte to store (and it takes several times that), your local map alone would take around 8 MB to store. Also, the game is definitely optimized some, at least in terms of memory usage - otherwise, map data (and everything else) would require even more memory to load than what you're seeing.

Pages: 1 ... 291 292 [293] 294 295 ... 385