Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 358 359 [360] 361 362 ... 385

Author Topic: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack  (Read 4098081 times)

cadexn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack
« Reply #5385 on: April 07, 2020, 10:05:20 am »

i downloaded python 3.8 to run

Thorocaine

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5386 on: April 07, 2020, 10:38:14 am »

What Python version are you using when you run from source? Does the path to your DF installation contain any non-ASCII characters? I'm guessing this may be a Unicode issue with Python 2, which I think the pre-built EXE still uses.

So Python I used is 3.8 (Installed this today, and just the latest from the website).

The compiled version is running from "C:\Dwarf\Starter Pack Launcher (PyLNP).exe"
The source is running from "C:\Users\me\source\repos\python-lnp\..."

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5387 on: April 07, 2020, 01:57:56 pm »

I know its a relatively minor thing, but I noticed that one of the embark profiles came preloaded with a wooden training axe. Once upon a time this would have worked fine for tree's, but now that DF no longer allows this type of axe to cut a tree, it only provides a specific flavor of 'fun'.

Perhaps this could be removed/changed ?

Hey there!

I maintain the embark profiles and you gave me a fright there for a moment, but I see you're talking about Meph's profiles "starting_scenarios" and or "tutorial_profiles," both of which are unmaintained legacy lists. I'll see if the writers wish to update them and proceed from there!

Thanks for pointing this out!
Team Bug Fix!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5388 on: April 10, 2020, 10:12:51 am »

Not sure if this is an LNP or PyLNP issue, but I tried to start a second DF copy from PyLNP, which brought up a window saying it was already running, do I want to start it anyway. Pressing Yes, however, just brought up the same dialog again and again (not a serious problem, as it's easy enough to start the other copy manually). Version used: 0.47.04 r01 on Windows 10.

tzeneth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5389 on: April 12, 2020, 01:06:51 pm »

Trying to figure out why but I downloaded the latest starter pack preview and announcement window was not working. It wasn't picking up any of the announcements. Is there something I can do to fix this?

tovRobi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5390 on: April 13, 2020, 07:42:20 am »

I have a problem with the current betta version. For some reason it crashing when im try to embark. Is this common? And where i can see the log files?

DontMineYellowSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5391 on: April 13, 2020, 08:33:11 am »

I have a problem with the current betta version. For some reason it crashing when im try to embark. Is this common? And where i can see the log files?

Without knowing anything about the details of whats crashing, try making the DF fortress window very small and zooming way out right before you embark.  After it loads you can return to normal window size and zoom.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5392 on: April 13, 2020, 10:56:55 am »

try making the DF fortress window very small and zooming way out right before you embark

I would honestly suggest zooming in if you suspect graphics issues - that will result in fewer tiles displayed, which could help. (At least, I would expect it to help more than increasing the number of displayed tiles, but I don't expect either to be a particularly likely fix.)

Assuming this is reproducible, you could try disabling TWBT and/or switching to another print mode in the launcher (STANDARD, 2D) to see if that makes the issue go away. Unfortunately, there are likely no log files that will tell you what the issue is here - crashes are caused by unanticipated issues, and logging human-readable information about why DF crashed is usually harder than simply preventing DF from crashing.

DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5393 on: April 13, 2020, 01:27:23 pm »

Does the object testing arena also cause it to crash?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5394 on: April 13, 2020, 03:41:56 pm »

Trying to figure out why but I downloaded the latest starter pack preview and announcement window was not working. It wasn't picking up any of the announcements. Is there something I can do to fix this?

Click Announcement Window's "Settings" menu and choose "Set Directory". Find the "gamelog.txt" in your DF installation's folder.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 03:43:52 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

DontMineYellowSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5395 on: April 13, 2020, 03:55:04 pm »

try making the DF fortress window very small and zooming way out right before you embark

I would honestly suggest zooming in if you suspect graphics issues - that will result in fewer tiles displayed, which could help. (At least, I would expect it to help more than increasing the number of displayed tiles, but I don't expect either to be a particularly likely fix.)

Assuming this is reproducible, you could try disabling TWBT and/or switching to another print mode in the launcher (STANDARD, 2D) to see if that makes the issue go away. Unfortunately, there are likely no log files that will tell you what the issue is here - crashes are caused by unanticipated issues, and logging human-readable information about why DF crashed is usually harder than simply preventing DF from crashing.

The window size and zoom thing is a known issue with DF.  Every time I've ever played DF I've experienced it.  Same monitor and graphics card, different everything else including DF versions.  If I forget to zoom out and make the window small its crashing on embark.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5396 on: April 13, 2020, 05:11:28 pm »

The window size and zoom thing is a known issue with DF.  Every time I've ever played DF I've experienced it.  Same monitor and graphics card, different everything else including DF versions.  If I forget to zoom out and make the window small its crashing on embark.
Known by whom? Does it only happen with TWBT? Have you checked if it's been reported anywhere? Are you sure it not this TWBT bug?
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

DontMineYellowSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5397 on: April 13, 2020, 07:09:20 pm »

Known by whom? Does it only happen with TWBT? Have you checked if it's been reported anywhere? Are you sure it not this TWBT bug?

It is not that bug.  It is widely known and may be related to TWBT.  Google "dwarf fortress crash on embark window size" and your first page are mostly valid hits.  I have no idea if its been reported, trying to navigate the bug tracker for DF is like trying to find that vampire that keeps killing your dwarf children in their bedrooms while their parents are at work.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5398 on: April 13, 2020, 07:46:10 pm »

It is not that bug.  It is widely known and may be related to TWBT.  Google "dwarf fortress crash on embark window size" and your first page are mostly valid hits.  I have no idea if its been reported, trying to navigate the bug tracker for DF is like trying to find that vampire that keeps killing your dwarf children in their bedrooms while their parents are at work.
If it only happens with TWBT then it is NOT a DF bug - it is a TWBT bug. Searching that github's issues for "embark window size" returns 1 issue about something else. If it's not known to the dev, then it's not known to only people that matter.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5399 on: April 13, 2020, 07:51:26 pm »

I've only occasionally seen reports of this, but of the ones I found from your Google search, all of the results from the DF bug tracker are resolved (either fixed or unable to reproduce), and there are several more reports from Bay12/Reddit linked to TWBT.
I guess I can see how a smaller DF window would help avoid TWBT issues, but that's only a workaround. I agree with Ziusudra that reporting it at https://github.com/mifki/df-twbt/issues is the best way to get visibility for it.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.
Pages: 1 ... 358 359 [360] 361 362 ... 385