Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 380 381 [382] 383 384 385

Author Topic: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack  (Read 4114784 times)

DanielCoffey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack
« Reply #5715 on: November 05, 2022, 11:27:43 am »

I am having this issue as well with 0.47.05_r11 but I think I have managed to track it down.

When you have installed Vettlingr 32x and Installed the tileset, there are two files that I believe have an error in them...

data/save/region1/raw/graphics_procedual_divine.txt
data/save/region1/raw/graphics_procedual_hfexp.txt

These two files differ from the other graphics_procedual_xxx.txt files in that they appear to be missing part of the FILE definition on their fourth line.

[FILE:procedual_divine.png] should be [FILE:denzi/procedual_divine.png]

and

[FILE:procedual_hfexp.png] should be [FILE:denzi/procedual_hfexp.png]

I don't know what is creating these two files but editing them fixes the issue for that session.

I've been having a weird problem lately. I've been using 0.47.05-r09 and Vettlingr 32x tile set for a while now. Worked just fine for my fortress in Region 1 but then decided to start a new game and build a new world in Region 2 every and time I start up the game it crashes when loading the world with an error "Not found: data/save/region2/raw/graphics/procedual_divine.png"

If I go to PyLNP and reinstall the tile set and then launch the game my world in region 2 loads just fine without crashing.
But then if I save and quit then the next time I relaunch the game I run into the same problem and have to reinstall the tile set before my world will load without crashing. Kinda sucks to have to keep reinstalling the tiles set just to get the world to load without crashing.

That's just so weird. What is this procedual_divine.png anyway and why does it keep disappearing from data/save/region2/raw/graphics/?
Caselabs S8 : Intel i5-12600K / 64Gb DDR4 3600 / Asus 1080 Ti / Samsung 980PRO 1Tb / Dell U2715H 27" 2560x1440 / Corsair AX1200i / APC SMT1500I / Windows 11

Caselabs X2M NAS 24Tb : Intel i3-8300 / 32Gb DDR4 3000 / ASUS ROG Strix H370-I / 4x WD Red 8Tb, Samsung 960PRO 1Tb / Corsair AX860i / APC SMT1000I / unRAID Plus 6.11.5

DanielCoffey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5716 on: November 05, 2022, 12:47:01 pm »

Since I can't find either of the two missing files in the Vettlingr pack I am wondering if they are being auto-generated on first run and are storing the incorrect path? Would the issue be resolved by taking a corrected pair of files and adding them to the source for Vettlingr pack?

EDIT : The two files are referenced in region1/raw/generate-procedual-graphics.lua and are regenerated every time the game is loaded.

Lines 57 and 73 need to be edited.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 02:16:47 pm by DanielCoffey »
Caselabs S8 : Intel i5-12600K / 64Gb DDR4 3600 / Asus 1080 Ti / Samsung 980PRO 1Tb / Dell U2715H 27" 2560x1440 / Corsair AX1200i / APC SMT1500I / Windows 11

Caselabs X2M NAS 24Tb : Intel i3-8300 / 32Gb DDR4 3000 / ASUS ROG Strix H370-I / 4x WD Red 8Tb, Samsung 960PRO 1Tb / Corsair AX860i / APC SMT1000I / unRAID Plus 6.11.5

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5717 on: November 10, 2022, 01:58:27 am »

Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

DanielCoffey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5718 on: November 10, 2022, 02:17:47 am »

Well spotted, thank you.

So what do we have to do in order to pick up the new version of Vettlingr and get it inside the Starter Pack?

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5719 on: November 20, 2022, 09:16:01 pm »

Where can we download the pack now that DFFD is nuked?

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5720 on: November 20, 2022, 09:20:01 pm »

Besides the official download page on DFFD (above), /u/Hecknar maintains df.wicked-code.com, which mirrors every release since 0.40.01!
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5721 on: November 20, 2022, 09:26:30 pm »

Sorry for my blindness. Now my question is, why were wheelbarrows changed to look like flowers?

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5722 on: December 02, 2022, 02:16:23 am »

and who knows when the Steam release might be?  (not me - I truly don't have any inside info)  When it does though, I'm expecting to "retire": the Steam edition should help beginners appreciate DF better than anything I can cobble together, and that's always been my motivation for this pack.  It's also been going for a long time - next May I'll celebrate ten years of the Starter Pack, with LucusUp's original-flavor LNP dating further back to 2010!

Ladies, gentlemen, dwarves, and other overseers; it is and has been an honour.  Strike the Earth!

If you want to say thanks, check out Toady's Patreon  ;D

Checking in for the first time in a decade  8)
The steam release is mere days away... and I see this!

You and Pidgeot (and others) have been dedicated on maintaining my little project for the last decade. I certainly would not begrudge you for wanting to retire, but really hats off to the work you all have put in to this.

Should I rise from the grave to take the mantle once more?
Well... I'm not really sure I can dedicate all the commitment necessary, though I have often wondered over the past ten years if I would return to contribute in some small way once again... If you or someone wanted to team up... lets talk.
You make a good point about how the new steam version might change the need for a LNP, and I wondered that too. I cant help but think there'd still be some desire for it, and there will soon be an uptick in people looking for mods, but it certainly will be a bit different with a more accessible game.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 02:55:22 am by LucasUP »
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5723 on: December 09, 2022, 08:19:12 am »

Well so far it doesn't look like the Steam version is an answer to anyone's prayers.
No DFHack, no Therapist, no purchase from me.
On top of that it sounds like there was a considerable dumbing down of gameplay elements.
Seems like the need for LNP is not going away anytime soon.

That being said, if you need to pass on the torch, you need to pass on the torch.
It has been a long time and a lot of work and thank you so very much for making this game much more accessible to so many people!
Quote from: Dirst
For example, if you wanted to check if a unit was eligible to be a politician or a car salesman, you'd first want to verify that there is no soul present...

Quote from: gchristopher
The more appropriate question becomes, are they awesome and dwarven enough.

frightlever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5724 on: December 09, 2022, 11:04:44 am »

Well so far it doesn't look like the Steam version is an answer to anyone's prayers.
On top of that it sounds like there was a considerable dumbing down of gameplay elements.

That being said, if you need to pass on the torch, you need to pass on the torch.
It has been a long time and a lot of work and thank you so very much for making this game much more accessible to so many people!

I'm loving the Steam version. There are a few essential things missing (not even counting Adventure mode, which I never used but I realise is important to many people)  like logs, but I'm surprised how complete it is. I was also a big user of LNP and miss the Therapist. I miss DFHack less so as it was QOL bordering on outright cheats. Not being able to mine a seam is definitely painful but I wouldn't let it put me off playing the Steam version and its near-coherent interface.

BlackSmokeDMax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5725 on: December 09, 2022, 12:00:21 pm »

I'm loving the Steam version. There are a few essential things missing (not even counting Adventure mode, which I never used but I realise is important to many people)  like logs, but I'm surprised how complete it is. I was also a big user of LNP and miss the Therapist. I miss DFHack less so as it was QOL bordering on outright cheats. Not being able to mine a seam is definitely painful but I wouldn't let it put me off playing the Steam version and its near-coherent interface.

DF has had automine built in for a while. Not the same exact automine as DF Hack, but it definitely works.

If interested, here is a video of quill18 showing off a bit of how it works in the steam version: https://youtu.be/s3RHuCV7Rqs?t=287
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 12:05:37 pm by BlackSmokeDMax »

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5726 on: December 09, 2022, 08:23:37 pm »

I don't know how you can say that. I came back after playing it to say 90% of what I initially made the Lazy Newb Pack to do has been made obsolete by the Steam version.

-Easily add graphics: No longer needed.
-Easily change graphics: No longer needed (see modding)
-Easily change settings without digging for the init files: No longer needed
-Utilities: New work assignment system and integrated mineral auto-mine from DFHack aims to fill the job of 90% of the tools I found necessary. Though I could see in the future several utilities still having some usefulness,
-Mods, removing aquifers, alternative graphics, etc: Workshop mod integration, and a mod-menu in-game now takes care of this.

The labor system has a complete overhaul with click-to-assign jobs, and less need to fiddle with it. I don't think its perfect and I'd like to see some tweaks on adding custom work orders and to be able to enable specific obscure jobs to specific dwarves. But it makes Therapist no longer the necessity it used to be.
Also it seems like Tarn is continuing to work on and improve these UI interactions.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 08:26:15 pm by LucasUP »
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

Erendir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5727 on: December 10, 2022, 05:45:05 am »

Like what, for example, I'm genuinely curious. From the top of my head, I only remember removing of the pet-passable door option (for performance reasons IIRC).

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5728 on: December 10, 2022, 08:22:19 am »

Like what, for example, I'm genuinely curious. From the top of my head, I only remember removing of the pet-passable door option (for performance reasons IIRC).

Military.
Quote from: Dirst
For example, if you wanted to check if a unit was eligible to be a politician or a car salesman, you'd first want to verify that there is no soul present...

Quote from: gchristopher
The more appropriate question becomes, are they awesome and dwarven enough.

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5729 on: December 10, 2022, 08:23:24 am »

I don't know how you can say that. I came back after playing it to say 90% of what I initially made the Lazy Newb Pack to do has been made obsolete by the Steam version.

-Easily add graphics: No longer needed.
-Easily change graphics: No longer needed (see modding)
-Easily change settings without digging for the init files: No longer needed
-Utilities: New work assignment system and integrated mineral auto-mine from DFHack aims to fill the job of 90% of the tools I found necessary. Though I could see in the future several utilities still having some usefulness,
-Mods, removing aquifers, alternative graphics, etc: Workshop mod integration, and a mod-menu in-game now takes care of this.

The labor system has a complete overhaul with click-to-assign jobs, and less need to fiddle with it. I don't think its perfect and I'd like to see some tweaks on adding custom work orders and to be able to enable specific obscure jobs to specific dwarves. But it makes Therapist no longer the necessity it used to be.
Also it seems like Tarn is continuing to work on and improve these UI interactions.

I've been playing it - I love the graphics, but the inability to do things I can do on the old version is just getting in the way.

It really does need some updates before it's competitive for me at least.

Just trying to create an upward staircase that you want to link to a mining designation can't be done - for instance. You need a destination for a staircase, and as you haven't dug that yet, you can't place it.

I can't seem to see what is in a stockpile - in total - I only have the main "stocks" screen and that doesn't tell me what's in a specific stockpile.

Not being able to overlap zones kinda sucks. Office/Dining Room combo is no longer a thing - at least not including all the items in the room anyhow. You can make it 1x1 I guess.

There's a few things like that.

You know how in regular DF everyone does hauling?

All jobs are now like that. You can specify someone to do something specific and say that only they are going to do it, but by default everyone does everything.
I don't necessarily mind that part tbh - it makes starting the fort a lot faster. And then you can start making things more efficient later.

Pages: 1 ... 380 381 [382] 383 384 385