Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 382 383 [384] 385

Author Topic: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack  (Read 4098418 times)

saharo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack
« Reply #5745 on: January 10, 2023, 07:01:29 am »

All glory to the DF Starter Pack!!!! Can't wait to the new version 🙏
That's such an essential tool for me, and I think it's the same for a big chunk of the DF Classic Community.

BlackSmokeDMax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5746 on: January 10, 2023, 10:09:41 am »

I believe it was Tarn and Zack's intention to return to this branch of DF once the premium version has run its course.  So, hopefully LNP will live on!

What do you mean by "return to this branch"? As far as I'm aware, they plan complete feature parity between classic and premium except for the graphics/music added to the premium version. Do you have some other quote you are going by?

Celarious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5747 on: January 10, 2023, 12:13:00 pm »

I believe it was Tarn and Zack's intention to return to this branch of DF once the premium version has run its course.  So, hopefully LNP will live on!

What do you mean by "return to this branch"? As far as I'm aware, they plan complete feature parity between classic and premium except for the graphics/music added to the premium version. Do you have some other quote you are going by?

It's most likely a conspiracy he created to cope with thinking of classic as "superior". Pure tribalism, basically. As you said, both have parity going forward and there's no reason to think either is ever getting dropped. There's nothing to "return" to given they're already there.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 12:16:08 pm by Celarious »

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5748 on: January 10, 2023, 12:26:04 pm »

It's most likely a conspiracy he created to cope with thinking of classic as "superior". Pure tribalism, basically.
It could easily have been a misunderstanding about Toady's intentions. Please avoid these sorts of personal attacks. I know you have a strong preference against the old UI, but not everyone does.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Celarious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5749 on: January 10, 2023, 01:38:34 pm »

It's most likely a conspiracy he created to cope with thinking of classic as "superior". Pure tribalism, basically.
It could easily have been a misunderstanding about Toady's intentions. Please avoid these sorts of personal attacks. I know you have a strong preference against the old UI, but not everyone does.

The UI has nothing to do with this. If I were more charitable, I'd say maybe RetiredNavyVet sees every version of .50+ as "premium", and 47.05 as "this branch". This is doubtful unless he's completely ignored all development for the past few years, or hasn't looked at the main page since .50 classic released. Regardless, sorry if I don't immediately take the charitable assumption given how some veterans seemingly want Toady to delete the past four years of development and they've immediately burned all trust with him despite the years they've been playing.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5750 on: January 10, 2023, 05:57:39 pm »

Nope, Classic replaces .47. It would be way, way too much work to maintain multiple incompatible versions of the same game longterm

RetiredNavyVet

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5751 on: January 11, 2023, 05:23:16 pm »

The UI has nothing to do with this. If I were more charitable, I'd say maybe RetiredNavyVet sees every version of .50+ as "premium", and 47.05 as "this branch". This is doubtful unless he's completely ignored all development for the past few years, or hasn't looked at the main page since .50 classic released. Regardless, sorry if I don't immediately take the charitable assumption given how some veterans seemingly want Toady to delete the past four years of development and they've immediately burned all trust with him despite the years they've been playing.

Didn't the devs say that the premium version was a "one and done" product?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #5752 on: January 12, 2023, 06:41:06 am »

Didn't the devs say that the premium version was a "one and done" product?

Nope.
Starting with the last version (v50.05) all future versions will be available both in Classic (free), and Premium (paid). Both these share the same UI and graphics support, but Classic does not come with a default graphics pack. So if you want to play not-text-character-mode in Classic, you have to wait for modders to make a comparable pack.

The bulk of the new UI and graphics support is done though, so keeping future versions up with Premium should take less effort than the initial migration.

Finally, some features big and small (like Adventure mode, and the summarizing health screen) did not make it to v50. They will be added back, but until then players might want to play 0.47.05, the last version before the UI rewrite. It too is arguably "Classic", since it is available for free on the Bay 12 website, but it is not the only "Classic". If people say just "Classic", it is easily construed as the current/latest Classic version, so 0.47(.05) should be referred by its version number.

YashaAstora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5753 on: January 14, 2023, 07:39:10 pm »

Hi, I'm playing a 0.47.05 fort right now, can I install this over my DF installation without deleting my fort?

Thorfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5754 on: January 14, 2023, 10:18:07 pm »

Just don't install over the top of your current install, which is probably not an issue, since it includes Peridexis etc. in the pathname, which you almost certainly did not use. You will  be able to import your game later.

saharo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5755 on: January 19, 2023, 07:40:35 am »

Code: [Select]
💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖
💖🦶🏻🦶🏽🦶🏿💖🐸1️⃣💖
💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖

When thinking of the Adams brothers, think of the best intentions they might have toward the community and the long term maintainability of the game.
Now take a breather, and realize you're not even close to how good their intentions actually are 💖

powercat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5756 on: February 21, 2023, 08:09:07 pm »

Will this be updated to 50.x?

I'd love to use some of these graphic packs on 50! thx

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5757 on: February 21, 2023, 10:39:13 pm »

I don't think there are any plans for v0.50.x Laxy Newb Packs at the moment. But part of that is that graphics packs are easier to install in v0.50+. I don't think there are currently any full graphics packs, but Vettlingr is working on one.

What graphics packs were you wanting to use? Do you already have the Steam or itch.io version of the game with the premium graphics pack?

powercat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5758 on: February 21, 2023, 10:54:10 pm »

No, I'm f2p (free to play)

Where is the thread covering this new 50.x graphics pack plz? I'll follow it

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5759 on: February 22, 2023, 12:07:10 am »

Vettlingr's Tileset

I'm not sure how long it will take to finish. I think it's kind of a big project to make a complete graphics pack after the graphics overhaul update.
Pages: 1 ... 382 383 [384] 385