Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 385

Author Topic: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack  (Read 4115006 times)

Portalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 40_05 Starter Pack r2
« Reply #765 on: July 29, 2014, 01:49:07 am »

Hey, I got the migrant bug as well.

Do I need to do anything with my saves, or do I just run the hotfix version? Also, the launcher doesn't seem to remember my choice of graphics. Is that fixed as well?

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: July 29, 2014, 02:36:51 am »

Hey, I got the migrant bug as well.

Do I need to do anything with my saves, or do I just run the hotfix version? Also, the launcher doesn't seem to remember my choice of graphics. Is that fixed as well?

No changes to saves needed, it's purely an issue with d_init.  The launcher should display the folder name of the graphics pack you just installed, but if you quit and reopen it it reverts to the tileset name (because folder would have to be recorded).
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Kirkegaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: July 29, 2014, 04:58:03 am »

Nice work!

I do however not understand why "=" is used instead of "+" to toggle in lists.

ShadowStrike

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Axe
    • View Profile

Woah, lots of good feedback coming in here!

It looks like the "QueryFullProcessImageNameW" error is being caused by dfterm3 on Windows XP.  I'll switch to having it disabled by default in dfhack.init, and try to edit the installation script so that it displays an XP error message instead of installing/launching dfterm.  If this affects you, I strongly advise moving to a newer operating system by April 8; there are very large security concerns about exploits being saved for the end-of-support.

I think the graphics issue is being caused by the update to v18.2 of the GUI (in r50), and seems to take the form of improper handling of the raw/objects folder; I've asked the relevant people if they can see what's happening.  There are many good and complex reasons that simply editing everything to use the same base would not work, so we're waiting on a fix for the GUI.

The problem still persists in the v0.34.11 r67 pack, though, even with "call-dfterm3" in the Utilities tab disabled.
The second best way to destroy non-serious and non-sensical posts is to dump a whole load of cold scientific facts on it.

DFAddict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Invaders setting
« Reply #769 on: July 29, 2014, 12:58:23 pm »

In the newest version of DF (Dwarf Fortress 40_05 Starter Pack r2) I've been getting sieged quite early on. This results in a complete decimation of my fortress. Which leads me to this question:

If I create a world with invaders turned off can I turn it back on after I get a few rounds of immigration? Will this work? It seems aquifers stay as they were during world creation.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Invaders setting
« Reply #770 on: July 29, 2014, 01:08:25 pm »

In the newest version of DF (Dwarf Fortress 40_05 Starter Pack r2) I've been getting sieged quite early on. This results in a complete decimation of my fortress. Which leads me to this question:

If I create a world with invaders turned off can I turn it back on after I get a few rounds of immigration? Will this work? It seems aquifers stay as they were during world creation.

the INVADERS option only affects fortress mode, not worldgen. And yes, you can turn it on and off at your leisure.
Turning it off will not remove any invaders already present in your fort though.
It will turn off sieges, bandits, ambushes, FB, werecreatures, and necromancers. It will not turn off immigrants, caravans, or wildlife spawns.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ajshell1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: July 29, 2014, 01:16:52 pm »

Nice work!

It might be because the -/= buttons can be reached  without taking the right hand off of the "jkl;" keys, while the +/- keys require the right hand to be moved to the numpad.

I'd like to agree with most other people that this is "nice work".
Schist happens.

salithus

• Bay Watcher
  • gottagofast
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: July 29, 2014, 01:28:04 pm »

Nice work!

It might be because the -/= buttons can be reached  without taking the right hand off of the "jkl;" keys, while the +/- keys require the right hand to be moved to the numpad.

I'd like to agree with most other people that this is "nice work".
also because the + requires a shift key on most laptops

RaidSoft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: July 29, 2014, 02:22:12 pm »

Well the = button requires a shift key on a Swedish keyboard and becomes very weird to use (basically it's shift 0, while - is to the right of .)

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: July 29, 2014, 03:08:34 pm »

Well the = button requires a shift key on a Swedish keyboard and becomes very weird to use (basically it's shift 0, while - is to the right of .)
Looks like I wasn't the only one with this problem.
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: July 29, 2014, 03:17:53 pm »

I thought there were a handful of keymappings wandering around for different keyboard layouts.  Given that DF is in US English, the two biggest populations are "full US keyboard" and "cramped US laptop keyboard."  There is certainly scope for people to contribute keymappings that make sense for other layouts as well.

The relevant decision for the Starter Pack is how many of these should be included, and how they get sorted.  At worst, maybe a toggle somewhere to include non-English options, but my personal preference would be to not hide any player-friendliness aids by default.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

nasobema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: July 29, 2014, 03:29:38 pm »

Same for german keyboards. I was quite surprised and it got from easy use to clumsy.
Given that the interface is a huge mess anyways, I won't complain thought.

Let's put it as "adding extra dwarfiness"

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: July 29, 2014, 03:32:07 pm »

Honestly it's a pain in the ass to provide perfect keyboard layouts for every potential scenario, especially international ones.. :( The game was developed with a full layout in mind, but nowadays a lot, if not most of the people play it laptops without numeric keys, so compromises were had to be done. I don't know if the updater script copies the key layouts between versions, but if not that would be a valid suggestion. That way you'd only have to customize it once: just go to the menu when you have loaded a game, and change the offending key to one that fits you better. Then you can just copy data/init/interface.txt to a new install.

Perhaps it'd make sense to include international layouts in the launcher, it can already change layouts, and it's pretty easy to include more .(until the list gets cluttered of course)

RaidSoft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: July 29, 2014, 03:41:59 pm »

I usually just load vanilla df binds, before I realized I should do that then I was quite confused so it would not surprise me if this is the case for quite a few newer players. Best would of course have it somehow autodetect your set language setting and change default profile based on that but not sure it's worth the development time if that's even possible.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: July 29, 2014, 04:05:48 pm »

I usually just load vanilla df binds, before I realized I should do that then I was quite confused so it would not surprise me if this is the case for quite a few newer players. Best would of course have it somehow autodetect your set language setting and change default profile based on that but not sure it's worth the development time if that's even possible.
This is a relatively easy thing to interrogate on a Windows machine (it's called the CurrentCulture object), which have useful .name properties like "en-US".  The difficulty is finding a consistent way to mark a keymapping file with its culture.  Maybe the first line inside the file, with no brackets around it?
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 385