Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 385

Author Topic: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack  (Read 4109241 times)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 40_05 Starter Pack r2
« Reply #780 on: July 29, 2014, 04:17:06 pm »

One of the included keymappings allows you to move Z levels with , and . which is a great idea but collides with the single-step command.  I always re-map the latter to SHIFT-Space (and embark to alt-e as a safety measure).

On a related note, I've had spotty luck getting the numpad + key to work as a secondary selector.  Seems to work on some menus and not others (though the numpad - always seems to work just fine), which irks me because the numpad +/- are much more conveniently located at the edge of the keyboard.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

hagger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: July 30, 2014, 04:32:14 am »

Hi all - have a hotfix for some 40_05 issues!  You can get it here.  Note that the Dropbox mirror exceeded the bandwidth limit - please only use it if the main download actually isn't working, not just if it's faster. 

Unless I'm being a bit of an idiot, I think there's a link to the Dropbox mirror in the OP, but no link to the DFFD link, which might be encouraging people to use Dropbox rather than DFFD. Might be because it's copypasta from the DFFD page.

A little nitpicky, I know, but could help your dropbox survive the next release. Assuming I haven't just missed a very obvious link, in which case sorry!

Keep up the good work.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: July 30, 2014, 06:02:14 am »

Not a fan of how the graphics installation button apparently wipes clean ALL edits to the raws, not just graphics-related raws. I just had all my language files set up after several hours of work last night, and today I was experimenting with different graphics settings and now all my language files are back to default. :/
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: July 30, 2014, 06:09:44 am »

To all:  the keybindings are a tricky topic, not least because only the unhappy usually post.  Nonetheless, I've had enough feedback about this that I'm going to revert to using vanilla keybindings by default and hoping that people try the alternatives. 

Unless I'm being a bit of an idiot, I think there's a link to the Dropbox mirror in the OP, but no link to the DFFD link, which might be encouraging people to use Dropbox rather than DFFD. Might be because it's copypasta from the DFFD page.

A little nitpicky, I know, but could help your dropbox survive the next release. Assuming I haven't just missed a very obvious link, in which case sorry!

*Whoops*  I accidentally deleted that in the general update for 40_05... Thanks, I'll fix that right away. 

One of the included keymappings allows you to move Z levels with , and . which is a great idea but collides with the single-step command.  I always re-map the latter to SHIFT-Space (and embark to alt-e as a safety measure).

Hmm, it's meant to use a '/' for onestep for just this reason. 

Not a fan of how the graphics installation button apparently wipes clean ALL edits to the raws, not just graphics-related raws. I just had all my language files set up after several hours of work last night, and today I was experimenting with different graphics settings and now all my language files are back to default. :/

It's not ideal, but it's what we've got.  Pidgeot is working on a Python implementation of the launcher (mostly done), which should attract substantial support since it works on all platforms - and relevantly, a top priority is a better way to handle graphics and mods.  We're looking at a stackable diff system, and let the user pick a working load order... but unfortunately that's in the future, and for now anything fancier than an overwrite has to be done by hand. 
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: July 30, 2014, 07:12:37 am »

I understand, it was just unexpected. I know the popup says "this will reset raws" but I assumed (wrongly) that it would just be resetting graphics-related raws.

Despite my aggravated tone, I appreciate all the hard work that goes into making these packs. :)
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: July 30, 2014, 09:28:57 am »

Hmm, it's meant to use a '/' for onestep for just this reason.
I figured I probably did something wrong along the way :)

It's not ideal, but it's what we've got.  Pidgeot is working on a Python implementation of the launcher (mostly done), which should attract substantial support since it works on all platforms - and relevantly, a top priority is a better way to handle graphics and mods.  We're looking at a stackable diff system, and let the user pick a working load order... but unfortunately that's in the future, and for now anything fancier than an overwrite has to be done by hand.
Just a public service announcement: back up any raws you edit by hand, and be aware that graphics packs will often wipe accented characters from the language files so those tiles can be re-used as additional map tiles.

A diff system would be incredibly helpful!  Right now it's a pain to add custom buildings and custom reactions because that involves copy-and-paste into entity_default.txt or just overwriting any other mod that might be on the player's machine.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: July 30, 2014, 09:59:38 am »

Yep! The ultimate goal is to come up with a standard format for this stuff - anyone can use the python implementation on whatever platform, but the more open and better defined it is the more support for it there'll be. I really want a good system for combining mods, it'll open up a new field if we can get a system where you just choose stuff from a list and it works!
 Donations here.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: July 30, 2014, 10:00:48 am »

To all:  the keybindings are a tricky topic, not least because only the unhappy usually post.  Nonetheless, I've had enough feedback about this that I'm going to revert to using vanilla keybindings by default and hoping that people try the alternatives. 

I think the unhappiness stems mainly from the surprise factor... when you don't know to expect it and are already in bug-hunting mode, it's difficult to tell if it's intended or accidental.

Speaking personally, my hands are on autopilot with the commands, so anything that disrupts the flow causes friction :)  That being said, is there a document that shows the differences?  I'm open to moving  :)

Also, as everyone else has said, thanks a ton for all you do... the game would be infinitely less accessible without the starter pack!
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: July 30, 2014, 10:25:04 am »

The way I see keybinds is.. new players? They're going to think it's buggy as the keybinds don't match the on-screen instructions. Considering this is the "DF Starter Pack", it makes sense to keep it to keybinds the new starters can use.

Of course I am biased in favor of Vanilla DF keybinds. So I will say this would be a non-issue if DF's tutorials would change to reflect any keybind changes like games nowadays. That way any changes to the binds show in the places that SHOW what to press.

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

Wordsmith

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Mad Idiot Nonpareil
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: July 30, 2014, 11:17:48 am »

So I'm having a rather strange issue, and I'm wondering if any of you can help me.

I generated a world with the pre-hotfix version which I rather like, but before I actually started playing in it, I heard that there was an error with that version and chose to upgrade. I copied the save file for the world by hand. Now, when I attempt to start playing in Fortress mode on that world (I haven't yet tried Adventurer or Legends), I get a "Word Definition Missing" error while the game is pre-loading entities.

It isn't the tile set, as I've changed tilesets several times and each one gives the same error. Is there an issue with the save itself, or is this something that can be fixed?

EDIT: Newly-generated worlds work as intended with every tileset.
"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
 - Terry Pratchett

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: July 30, 2014, 04:36:25 pm »

Of course I am biased in favor of Vanilla DF keybinds. So I will say this would be a non-issue if DF's tutorials would change to reflect any keybind changes like games nowadays. That way any changes to the binds show in the places that SHOW what to press.
If you're referring to DF's in-game help pages, I'm pretty sure they do this - for example, the adventure mode keybindings page listed 'k' for tracking due to a mistake on interface.txt back in 0.40.01.
Edit: Unless you have multiple keys bound to a single key code, in which case only the first will be displayed.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: July 30, 2014, 05:12:20 pm »

So I'm having a rather strange issue, and I'm wondering if any of you can help me.

I generated a world with the pre-hotfix version which I rather like, but before I actually started playing in it, I heard that there was an error with that version and chose to upgrade. I copied the save file for the world by hand. Now, when I attempt to start playing in Fortress mode on that world (I haven't yet tried Adventurer or Legends), I get a "Word Definition Missing" error while the game is pre-loading entities.

It isn't the tile set, as I've changed tilesets several times and each one gives the same error. Is there an issue with the save itself, or is this something that can be fixed?

There are some changes in the raws between .04 and .05, the most serious of which for updating saves is in the language files.  Go into the files and change every instance of YORE to YOR and it should work.  Relevant thread.
Just got back, updating:

Wordsmith

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Mad Idiot Nonpareil
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: July 30, 2014, 08:47:34 pm »

There are some changes in the raws between .04 and .05, the most serious of which for updating saves is in the language files.  Go into the files and change every instance of YORE to YOR and it should work.  Relevant thread.

Thanks much. I'll let you know if it works.

EDIT: Gah, tags.

EDIT 2: Success. We have embarkation. Thanks again.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 09:39:21 pm by Wordsmith »
"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
 - Terry Pratchett

Qev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: July 30, 2014, 11:29:34 pm »

I've noticed a slight issue in the Adventure mode keybinds in all three of the Starter Pack keybind files: the key for talk, 'k', collides with the key for toggle tracks (also 'k').  Just a heads-up. :)

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: July 31, 2014, 12:29:15 am »

I've noticed a slight issue in the Adventure mode keybinds in all three of the Starter Pack keybind files: the key for talk, 'k', collides with the key for toggle tracks (also 'k').  Just a heads-up. :)

Ah, I remember Toady updating that to 'K' for tracking, and I guess I never fixed it.  Thanks for the report!

s there a document that shows the differences [in keybindings]?  I'm open to moving  :)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=140677
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 12:30:58 am by PeridexisErrant »
 Donations here.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 385