Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 385

Author Topic: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack  (Read 4098511 times)

Bandreus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Expanded LNP - a single download with everything (r25)
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2013, 04:08:30 am »

The only thing to be aware of is that changing graphics pack will also replace these files with my standard default ones - they all used to be different, so I had to manually edit all of them into identical configurations.

This is a no-issue to me, since I always play with the same pack and never switch graphics, but can't you simply update all of the ini files whenever options are changed via the GUI?

I'm suggesting this cause, typically, LNP is used by less experienced people, and those can be very confused about ini files being swapped around and the need to change settings whenever they switch graphic packs.

Maybe also add an option to reset the behavior to the default-one, so that more experienced people which don't want changes to be applied to all files can have that.
Check out Enôrbomrek: Bluewhips a community fort and story by me.
Clearly, our top dwarven scientists are hard at work creating a new breed of SUPER WAGON that can survive being scuttled by enemy wagonmancers! These new super wagon troopers will be able to carry TWICE the cargo, be 1/3 the size, and NEVER scuttle!

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2013, 07:29:38 am »

The behaviour of init files regarding graphics packs is pretty bad, but it's an issue with the LNP gui itself rather than anything I can do. I'll make an updated explicit suggestion to deal with it to the developers, and in the mean time there's not much I can do. The best I can do is to set up a consistent baseline, which I did a while ago - the default for each pack is different, so I had to edit all of them.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2013, 10:59:10 am »

@PeridexisErrant

I updated the old MacNewbie Pack to work with DFhack r3, all the Dfhack plugins/utilities/patches (latest falconne's plugins, fixgrowthbug) that I could get to work, and 7 graphics packs: Ironhand, Phoebus, Mayday, JollyBastion, CLA, Shizzle and Obsidian. I used the old MacNewbie Gui, because the java gui in your experimental version doesn't handle the graphics packs, and I have no experience how to fix it.

Since your version is starting to became well known I think it's best if we keep both updated versions here in this thread for maximum visibility, provided you agree with this.

known issues:
Secondary selection does not work on (d)esignation menu. Works on (b)uild menu. WTF? :)
soundsense-season plugin doesn't work
No binpatches for OSX

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7850

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2013, 06:24:18 pm »

@fricy

Added the link to the first post and download description for mine; thanks.  If you could maybe add a link to yours that would be cool to send people to the pack for their operating system, and I really do recommend starting a thread so people can offer feedback and ask questions.  I'm also going to add the link to my experimental mac pack, since it's not really suitable for most people. 

Do you (or anyone else) know of a linux equivalent to this kind of pack?  That's really all we need to round out the trinity...

Edit:  I also just saw this version of splinterz DT for mac - worth including?  I've not got any idea of what macnewbie does, but if utilities could go in it that and the stuff in my abortive mac LNP should all work, maybe?  You're the expert though. 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 05:58:31 am by PeridexisErrant »
 Donations here.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2013, 06:31:33 am »

@PeridexisErrant

Added a forum, and shamelessly copied over some of your descriptions for the pack. Thank you. :)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=128960

The mac port of DT 20.4 is bugged at the moment, I'm waiting for the author to respond to the report I made, should be easy to fix if you can compile. Which I can't, I'm not an expert, just a dabbling user. :)
The macnewbie package is basically a GUI app that can edit the init file, change the graphics and launch the utilities, nothing too fancy, adding new utilities and graphic packs is possible, but adding new color schemes (outside of grap. packs) is not as far as I know.
DFhack: lua and ruby scripts are cross platform, but plugins need to be compiled for OSX to work, so dfusion and isoworld is missing for the pack. Also the binpatches... :(

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2013, 07:04:21 am »

Cheers!  Links updated to point to the thread not download, but... not to put too fine a point on it, does your thread actually have a download link?

I'm in the same boat re: ability to actually fix problems - writing the batch files in r25 took me several days de to misplaced trailing backslashes, asterisks, etc.  AFAIK Isoworld is windows only, but if you can get it to work at all the basic functions all work off the detailed maps exported from legends mode and have nothing to do with dfhack. 

Glad I can help, however indirectly. 
 Donations here.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2013, 07:40:37 am »

Cheers!  Links updated to point to the thread not download, but... not to put too fine a point on it, does your thread actually have a download link?

LOL, no. Just a "small" oversight. Fixed, thx. :)

I'm in the same boat re: ability to actually fix problems - writing the batch files in r25 took me several days de to misplaced trailing backslashes, asterisks, etc.
Glad I can help, however indirectly.

The feeling is "OMG, what have I done, what have I gotten myself into? Please don't send me bugreports, please, please."

Bandreus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2013, 08:41:03 am »

Just a few questions about the current (r25) version of the Expanded LNP, as the changelog got pretty confusing with all the "moving scripts/batch/fixes in and out".

Are all of the hotfixes to various bugs (i.e. fort-born entities' growth, 'long patrol duty' thoughts, etc etc) already applied to the included DF executable?

Also, is the large-address aware patch already applied as well?

Thanks for answering and sorry for dumb questioning!  :P
Clearly, our top dwarven scientists are hard at work creating a new breed of SUPER WAGON that can survive being scuttled by enemy wagonmancers! These new super wagon troopers will be able to carry TWICE the cargo, be 1/3 the size, and NEVER scuttle!

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2013, 04:34:37 pm »

No such thing as a dumb question. The exe is large address aware and has the bug fixes patched in, but I'm not sure how well - so they're enabled through dfhack as well.
 Donations here.

Bandreus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2013, 08:11:43 pm »

awesome, thanks for clarifying, that helps a lot!  ;)

RS14

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Expanded LNP - a single download with everything (r29)
« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2013, 01:43:09 am »

This looks great, thanks.

One bug which gave me some trouble: when loading the ASCII default graphics, line 51 of init.txt is set to

[FONT:curses_square_16x16.png]

but it should be

[GRAPHICS_FONT:curses_square_16x16.png]

or when GRAPHICS:NO is set it will overwrite the real font choice made earlier in the file (this showed up when trying to revert to the curses_640x300 default of vanilla). And similarly on line 54.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2013, 02:03:13 am »

Bugger.  That's a common problem to all the sets I've included, given the edits I made for consistent settings (which I now remember I forgot to do for Spacefox's set).

Thanks for pointing it out, I'll fix it for r30. 
 Donations here.

Rayston

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2013, 08:24:02 pm »

anyone know if there is an ubuntu/linux version of this out there somewhere?

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2013, 10:10:29 pm »

This seems to be the closest thing, but it's not really that similar. 

Your best bet - as advice from someone who has never used linux - is to grab
 - the cross-platform alpha (unfinished),
 - the graphics packs from here, though you'd have to manually change them as graphics switching support is in a commit but not a built version of the CP-LNP
 - linux versions of various utilities - from memory quickfort, soundsense, old version dwarf therapist all have linux versions. 
You'll need to put it all together yourself, though. 

Sorry I couldn't help more. 

Edit:  Actually, this looks like it might be pretty good.  Graphics and utilities as above, but for Linux I'd recomend this instead of the CP-LNP.  I'd appreciate some feedback if you do get it, for the giving of advice to others :-)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 10:22:06 pm by PeridexisErrant »
 Donations here.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
Re: Expanded LNP - a single download with everything (r30)
« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2013, 02:09:10 am »

And r30 is now up, changelog in the thread OP. 

This is crazy, r29 went amazingly popular.  This is in a whole bunch of top rated lists on DFFD:  #4 DLs/day; #5 for user ratings; #1 newness (not for long); and #5 for file size.  It got ~1500 downloads in the last three days - at that rate, it'll be top ten all-time most downloaded in a matter of weeks.  Wow. 

Particular thanks to everyone who gave me feedback and advice, and even more to those who have actually created a component.  You guys should get way more appreciation - it wouldn't be possible without such a great community. 
 Donations here.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 385