Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 385

Author Topic: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack  (Read 4098123 times)

Oloninho

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 40.01 Starter Pack r1
« Reply #585 on: July 08, 2014, 01:17:41 pm »

WinXp doesn't support creating symlinks, but that's just a convenience feature, the game is playable without running that file.

But shall I still run the game by Starter Pack? Or it just wont work? The most important thing for me is actually graphic pack.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 01:28:13 pm by Oloninho »

Oloninho

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: July 08, 2014, 01:27:40 pm »

Oh, sorry about that double post. I just wanted to modify and by mistake i quoted T.T
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 01:30:34 pm by Oloninho »

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: July 08, 2014, 01:32:11 pm »

Hi!
I just downloaded Starter Pack for DF 40.01 and when i run the "_Run Me First" thing it says "'mklink' is not supported on this operating system." (i use Win XP). Is there any way to make it works or am I just not able to use this Starter Pack?
WinXp doesn't support creating symlinks, but that's just a convenience feature, the game is playable without running that file.

This is not entirely true, it doesn't support it natively. But you can create symlinks in XP. Although from what I remember you need a driver, and/or a program to do it.

Which is moot, since yeah, you're fine just playing the game without the file :P
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 01:35:59 pm by Zeranamu »

Madventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: July 08, 2014, 02:02:19 pm »

Any idea if/when graphics packs get added?
Then he made grudge wit about 20 other dwarfs (still don't know why - perhaps they were stealing his chair).

Gnomeknows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: July 08, 2014, 02:19:34 pm »

Tileset forum has the answers you seek.  Last time I checked only CAL was updated, and that's just fancier ansii, not actual graphics.

See below
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 02:34:33 pm by Gnomeknows »
In fact, we should really say, that beards are born with babies.  Since beards are sentient it is quite possible they style themselves or even that they grow styled.
I'm totally convinced dwarven babies are born with beards. How those get braided, combed or shaved before birth is one of the arcane dwarven mysteries.

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: July 08, 2014, 02:22:53 pm »

Any idea if/when graphics packs get added?

You can use them now, I use Phoebus myself. The only weird things are the 2nd Z-level of trees (but they tend to be uniform - you can see where the end of the 'tree bush' is), and the flowers/new stuff that grow on the ground (in Phoebus, they look like the trees did. Can't see em now in this fort, since it's winter. But they were all over!). Other than that I haven't really noticed a difference. Just gotta be careful how you install it.

Oh hey, trees block weather :P
http://puu.sh/a2u54/f98f46fc30.jpg
And above
http://puu.sh/a2u6O/cb719606ac.png
And.. yeah, crappy way below.
http://puu.sh/a2ufy/0f57349da0.jpg
stuff
http://puu.sh/a2uiB/4ed4aad9d0.jpg
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 02:25:08 pm by Zeranamu »

mario384

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: July 08, 2014, 05:19:07 pm »

Does anyone know how to use Stonesense on the latest version?

KevinCathcart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@Kevin:  The symlinks script is working beautifully (thanks!), but I'm still having trouble getting the other to work properly.  It now works as expected for the gamelog, saves, and user content... but fails at the soundsense packs and ignores any timeout or pause I insert at the end.  Current code below, and next week I'm going to set up some actual version control because this is kind of crazy. 

Sorry for the reply delay. As you know, this is a hectic time.

As for the other bat, I'm confused. The initial problem I had with that batch file was that there where no parens around the two commands needed in the soundsense copy. The batch parser got upset because it needs either a command or an open paren on the same line as an if.

On an unrelated note, one thing to watch out for in the batch script, only the first 8 characters of a label count. Thus "goto classic_LNP_advanced" will actually go to ":classic_LNP". That is what caused a problem with my first version of the symlink script.

On a related note:

As for symlinks on XP. They are not possible, but junctions are possible, and for the purpose of the LNP junctions and symlinks are interchangeable. However XP does not come with a command for creating them, and there are only 2 well known utilities for creating them, and neither are legal to redistribute. If I can find a clean workaround for that, I'll let PeridexisErrant know and provide an updated symlink script.

HenAi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As for symlinks on XP. They are not possible, but junctions are possible, and for the purpose of the LNP junctions and symlinks are interchangeable. However XP does not come with a command for creating them, and there are only 2 well known utilities for creating them, and neither are legal to redistribute. If I can find a clean workaround for that, I'll let PeridexisErrant know and provide an updated symlink script.
You may want to name those utilities. http://superuser.com/questions/484061/how-to-create-an-ntfs-junction

KevinCathcart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You may want to name those utilities. http://superuser.com/questions/484061/how-to-create-an-ntfs-junction
They are as linkd.exe from the Windows Resource Kit, and Junction.exe from Microsoft's SysInternals (As your StackOverflow link shows). Mklink is only available on Vista and up. Neither allows for proper redistribution. This can be worked around, but that is not my top priority at the moment. I expect get to it within a few days.

necrotic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: July 08, 2014, 06:07:18 pm »

Does anyone know how to use Stonesense on the latest version?

You can't yet. Gotta wait for dfhack/SS to be updated for the new release. Watch the thread for more info.

KevinCathcart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@Kevin:  The symlinks script is working beautifully (thanks!), but I'm still having trouble getting the other to work properly.  It now works as expected for the gamelog, saves, and user content... but fails at the soundsense packs and ignores any timeout or pause I insert at the end.  Current code below, and next week I'm going to set up some actual version control because this is kind of crazy. 

Try changing

Code: [Select]
if %result% < 53 (
To
Code: [Select]
IF %RESULT% LSS 53 (

If i do that with the bat you posted it reaches the timeouts at the end without issue.

Brisen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: July 08, 2014, 07:22:50 pm »

Hello

Long time lurker, finally decided to make an account. I just wanted to say that all the tilesets except the standard ASCII and the square (16*16) ASCII are causing some weird interference with the new menus. One thing in particular is that you can't use the movement/sneak menu to change the speed you are moving at. Here is how the sneak/movement menu looks while using the ASCII tileset:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You can see that you have several choices.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Here is how the same menu looks while using the Phoebus tileset. You only have the "walk" option, and you are unable to change it as far as i know. The same thing happened when i tested this with Spacefox, although i cannot say for other tilesets.

I just wanted to share this information with you guys so you dont miss out on anything. DF 2014 is amazing. From what i gathered from the forums, i thought this version would be completely unplayable, but i have had tons of fun only with occasional crashes, nothing too serious. Anyway, i'm one of those who can't play without tilesets, and being able to sprint is very important for me, so i hope the tilesets get updated soon.

Edit: Maybe i should have made this a new topic? I thought i would fit in this thread seing as people where adressing the tileset-compatibility.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 07:35:49 pm by Brisen »

salithus

• Bay Watcher
  • gottagofast
    • View Profile

They are as linkd.exe from the Windows Resource Kit, and Junction.exe from Microsoft's SysInternals (As your StackOverflow link shows). Mklink is only available on Vista and up. Neither allows for proper redistribution. This can be worked around, but that is not my top priority at the moment. I expect get to it within a few days.

Dunno if it'd help, but I just gave junction.exe a shot from cmd.exe using their live link thingy and it, albeit slow as crap, did work:

Spoiler: junction.exe test (click to show/hide)

E: my understanding of their licensing faq is they don't want you to include the file because it may be outdated, so using the live version should be ok - but I'm not a lawyer

Kamin

• Bay Watcher
  • Once you go cloaca, you never go backa.
    • View Profile
    • Slaves to Alcohol: Desura DF Fanpage
« Reply #599 on: July 09, 2014, 01:10:55 am »

PTW
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 385