Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 385

Author Topic: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack  (Read 4107575 times)

fasquardon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 40_12 Starter Pack r1
« Reply #1260 on: September 17, 2014, 10:57:59 am »

"PyLNP.exe" and "Starter Pack Launcher.exe" try to connect to the internet when I execute them.  Can I ask why this is?

Thanks in advance!

fasquardon

BesorgterZwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: September 17, 2014, 11:00:10 am »

Checking for updates, i think.

jwhite.df

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: September 17, 2014, 11:19:12 am »

"PyLNP.exe" and "Starter Pack Launcher.exe" try to connect to the internet when I execute them.  Can I ask why this is?

It's how your credit card information is ... I mean, checking for updates.  ;)

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: September 17, 2014, 02:05:29 pm »

My virus scan ripped the PyLNP executable as a virus.  I rarely get that maybe once a year.  Usually it will ask if I trust the source.  So something screwy in there that firewalls didn't like.  I've never had that issue with the regular launcher.
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: September 17, 2014, 02:13:23 pm »

My virus scan ripped the PyLNP executable as a virus.  I rarely get that maybe once a year.  Usually it will ask if I trust the source.  So something screwy in there that firewalls didn't like.  I've never had that issue with the regular launcher.

The virus scanners are transitioning from a pattern-matching system to a combination of behavior-detection and "reputation" system because virus variants come out faster than antivirus vendors can catalog them.  I had the same issue with the first couple releases of DF0.40, and it took a bit of convincing to get the antivirus to let it run.  I expect that to happen.  I did not expect it when brook.dll from BOINC recently got flagged as moderately dangerous despite being four years old.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

salithus

• Bay Watcher
  • gottagofast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: September 17, 2014, 02:14:57 pm »

Also, more details on what virus scanner/version/specific messages would be helpful.

Pidgeot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: September 17, 2014, 03:58:08 pm »

All I can say is that I didn't write any malicious code or anything. Feel free to verify the code for yourself, if you like, but it sounds like a false positive to me.

The executable is packed using a tool called UPX; my guess is your antivirus program is incorrectly picking up on that (despite UPX being a perfectly legitimate tool).

For the record, I tried running the executable through VirusTotal, just to be 100% sure, and none of the 40+ scanners on there detected anything.

Thanks in advance!

fasquardon

That does remind me that I should probably make a user option whether or not it should check for updates. I'll add that to my list of things to do.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 04:01:38 pm by Pidgeot »

Two

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: September 17, 2014, 05:13:57 pm »

I just realized that the download link to LNP is a bit slow, so I uploaded it to my server and offering it as a mirror link as a little thanks to you for doing all this. =)

LNP free mirror: http://bit.ly/1mcezz6

I have a script running on that server that checks for new versions on the official site every hour. If that's not ok, please tell me, otherwise the link above should have updated versions within an hour once they are uploaded as well.

Reminder: This link is free to use, but even though my server is much much faster than the official one, bandwidth is not unlimited. You may download from the link above for (reasonable) personal use as much as you wish, but any automated access is strictly forbidden without clear permission from me beforehand.

Should you feel paranoid, feel free to check the MD5 from the official link. ;)

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: September 17, 2014, 05:17:08 pm »

Well there's the torrent version and the dropbox version also.

Two

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: September 17, 2014, 05:19:31 pm »

Indeed, but the Dropbox version is limited (at least it says so in the OP) and the torrent didn't seem to find the tracker when I tried it. And from my server you can download the whole thing in about 20 seconds. ;)

salithus

• Bay Watcher
  • gottagofast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: September 17, 2014, 05:26:15 pm »

Indeed, but the Dropbox version is limited (at least it says so in the OP) and the torrent didn't seem to find the tracker when I tried it. And from my server you can download the whole thing in about 20 seconds. ;)
Also the OneDrive folder I seed the torrents from has unknown limits: http://1drv.ms/1q9UFp4

If there's anything I can do to improve the torrent, let me know. Current stats show me 31 people seeding it now, so it should be a pretty quick download.

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: September 17, 2014, 05:29:45 pm »

I'm encountering a very strange issue trying to extract this zip. After a short while during the extraction process, it slows down immensely and says about 6 hours remaining.

I have extracted 44GB archives before and not seen anything remotely this slow before.. And I have a high speed SSD. What the hell?

EDIT: I forgot about the temporary directory which is on a larger standard drive. Once I moved the zip itself to the SSD and extracted directly, it went quickly. Rebooted and it went away.. Weird. Going to run some drive tests to be sure. False alarm, sorry!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 05:37:38 pm by BoogieMan »
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

Swonnrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: September 17, 2014, 06:07:15 pm »

-hopefully constructive but probably not criticism post time-

Something that I greatly appreciate when it's there and appear and disappear from one version to another:
Having ASCII Square in the list of graphic packs.

I hope I'm not alone to like ASCII Square :P
Can We haz Square Ascii back, please? :D

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

salithus

• Bay Watcher
  • gottagofast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: September 17, 2014, 06:09:26 pm »

-hopefully constructive but probably not criticism post time-

Something that I greatly appreciate when it's there and appear and disappear from one version to another:
Having ASCII Square in the list of graphic packs.

I hope I'm not alone to like ASCII Square :P
Can We haz Square Ascii back, please? :D

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
May want to bring it up (or test it if you haven't with the PyLNP launcher) in the PyLNP thread.

Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: September 17, 2014, 06:22:00 pm »

Does PyLNP.exe have the optimizations and bugfixes that the LNP has? Such auto worn clothing dumping?
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 385